"red Onion" In Karon - Nice Food, But....

ZHALKAU

Hi!

Just came back from Red Onion in Karon - we wanted to try it out as it was recommended here in one of the food topics. The food is indeed quite genuine and the restaurant is very clean. However, as always, there is a problem with the service. :o There are 2 waiters - one skinny, and one a bit stockier and shorter. Well, the latter one is a wierd one. All was fine, no problems whatsoever...until my wife asked for a refill of her teapot (is this considered offensive here? I must note that he did reluctantly refill it once.), and he blew off the handle. We couldn't understand what happened, but he was clearly not happy...Rolled his eyes out at my wife, made some comments in Thai, shoved some things around at the neighbouring table and walked away. :D No refill, obviously.

Anyway, we asked the other waiter what the problem was, but no explanation still. He did appologize.

To sum up, good place, a shame about this <deleted>. :D Or did we do something wrong?

Z

In a way, I can relate to both of the two waiters. I was once skinny, just like waiter number 1. Alas, now I am a bit stockier and short, just like waiter #2. As for refusing to refill the teapot a second time, I would either immediately report that to my embassy in Bangkok, or walk on the beach and enjoy the cool evening. Reading tea leaves a possibility?

Are you still in Karon? Tell you what, the restaurant across the street from the Red Onion has the f'ing best steamed fish dishes I've ever had. Do you have a Thai friend with you? My Thai wife who will always look for fish dishes wherever we go, said it was some of the best she's had too. Actually a lot of decent fish places around Karon and Phuket in genera. Big shock I guess since it's a freaking Island.

The funny thing is, I ended up at that shop because the Red Onion guys pretty much blew me off one night cuz they looked too tired and said it was close to closing. I had been there a few times that week and although I live in Chiang Mai and have become progressively cheaper the longer I live in Thailand, when I'm on vacation I still tip well out of old habit, which annoys the missus. So I ended up watching the guys turn a way a few more customers and lazing about with their two remaining tables, while I ate at my new favorite across the street.

So I agree, they've got a few odd ends there running the show. I like Karon since it's quiet, been there 5 times now. Next time I'm gonna try Kata, a little louder but a lot cheaper.

Forgive my ignorance as well, I didnt understand what you were asking!!!!

Perhaps he was Gay and fancied you and was pissed cause you bought your wife.. :o

I've eaten at the red onion quite a few times and in fact one of the waiters is gay.

The food is good.

ZHALKAU: get over it!

I found the food rather average at RED O and service more average than my local noodle shop. No recommendation from me. :o

Yes but you are also the one who doesn't like Cappanina's which has some of the best food in Phuket. :D

It's hard to imagine you liking anything here. :D

I've eaten at the red onion and cappanina's a dozen or more time each and found them both consistently good with attentive service.

You'd probably go to the Swiss Delight restaurant(best food in phuket) in Chalong an find that unsatisfactory as well.

I found the food rather average at RED O and service more average than my local noodle shop. No recommendation from me. :D

Yes but you are also the one who doesn't like Cappanina's which has some of the best food in Phuket. :D

It's hard to imagine you liking anything here. :D

I've eaten at the red onion and cappanina's a dozen or more time each and found them both consistently good with attentive service.

You'd probably go to the Swiss Delight restaurant(best food in phuket) in Chalong an find that unsatisfactory as well.

Just as well you caught me in an argumentive mood Kasi - I had a viper in my bathroom this morning (no shit!) and a bloody bush rat chewed up my newest (sexiest!) bra... so yes, you are right! Swiss Delight sux along with Cappanina's and Red Onion :o I do eat however.... so there must be some decent shacks in my vicinity - it just so happens that you and I have different taste-buds honey.... :D

it just so happens that you and I have different taste-buds honey.... :D

:D perhaps.... but I know I'm not alone.. Many others share my opinion..:o

I've noticed during my short time on this planet, there are some people who are very difficult to please. :D

it just so happens that you and I have different taste-buds honey.... :D

:D perhaps.... but I know I'm not alone.. Many others share my opinion..:o

I've noticed during my short time on this planet, there are some people who are very difficult to please. :D

and some people that are too easily pleased.. :D

I suspect that khall is a "rabbit food" muncher.

Quite true and you manage to put it in a very diplomatic way.

Khali was complaining about Cappanina's because they didn't provide a salad dressing for her "Salade Nicoise", even though there is always fine grade olive oil and balsamic vinegar provided at every table, when the tastiest and healthiest salad dressing is provided(and the proper dressing for an salade nicoise) you just have to wonder about that person! :o

Thanks to everyone for comments regarding the restaurant mentioned in the title (for those of you who didn't get what the topic of discussion should be).

However, I found the comments about khall64au a bit too personal and somewhat rude.

I guess both food and behaviour are just a matter of taste.

Could the moderator please close this post.