Gen Prawit inspects navy munitions repair capabilities

webfact

Gen Prawit inspects navy munitions repair capabilities

CHONBURI, 6 March 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan has visited the Royal Thai Navy’s Mahidol Adulyadej Naval Dockyard to oversee the development of the country’s national defense industry for government and commercial purposes. 

Gen Prawit was accompanied by Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Navy Admiral Na Arreenich and high-ranking military officials during his inspection of the dockyard’s munitions repair department. They witnessed the demonstration of a two-seater seaplane and an unmanned aerial vehicle. Both programs were funded by the Ministry of Defense for long-distance aerial surveillance. 

The officials then attended a briefing of the navy’s munitions repair capabilities. Efforts have been placed on developing repair, production, and research programs that enhance self sufficiency and have commercial applications. 

The officials also inspected repairs on a submarine that will be recommissioned in the future, as well as ongoing research programs dating back to 1983 that will be incorporated in the navy’s operations.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-06

"The officials also inspected repairs on a submarine that will be recommissioned in the future"

I wonder if the repairs are to the bottom of the sub due to continually hitting the bottom of the ocean in the Bay of Thailand.

"The officials also inspected repairs on a submarine that will be recommissioned in the future"

I wonder if the repairs are to the bottom of the sub due to continually hitting the bottom of the ocean in the Bay of Thailand.

Wow! Are you okay today djamie? Criticising the military of it's choice of vehicles. Are you starting to sway over to the red side? Junta hugging is boring you?

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

Repairing munitions?

Am I alone in imagining various uses of a 27 piece hammer set on items of naval ammunition?

Not forgetting the oxy torch and welding machine.

The Thai navy's submarine squadron has trained in Germany and South Korea but has no submarines—its last sub was decommissioned in 1950.

Wikipedia

I hope that the sub they are repairing ( and recommissioning) is heading for an "inactive position" or I can see another tragedy at sea unfolding.

18 hours ago, JAG said:

Repairing munitions?

Am I alone in imagining various uses of a 27 piece hammer set on items of naval ammunition?

I can close me eyes and also imagine that in the repair center that was built corruptly 100  men all sitting around with nothing to do. so they are either sleeping, on Facebook, eating Somtam, or not even at work. Oh I forgot to mention the other "ghost" workers whose salaries supplement that of the Pooyai. As long as he can continue to BS the Thais he will. But the outside world knows the truth about Thailand.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The officials also inspected repairs on a submarine that will be recommissioned in the future

There is something perhaps misleading in this statement. Maybe just a translation issue?

I haven't seen any reference to the RTN having any existing submarines that need repairs in order to recommissioned since 60 years ago. But "in the future" may be the key to understand what is really being said.

In conjunction with its planned purchase of Chinese submarines to operate out of the Mahidol Adulyadej Naval Dockyard, the navy is planning to build dockyards and repair facilities that would allow rotation of submarines for maintenance. (cite and link not allowed by TV). I've not seen the price for these facilities, possible 2 for the Gulf of Thailand and 1 for Andaman Sea.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

There is something perhaps misleading in this statement. Maybe just a translation issue?

I haven't seen any reference to the RTN having any existing submarines that need repairs in order to recommissioned since 60 years ago. But "in the future" may be the key to understand what is really being said.

In conjunction with its planned purchase of Chinese submarines to operate out of the Mahidol Adulyadej Naval Dockyard, the navy is planning to build dockyards and repair facilities that would allow rotation of submarines for maintenance. (cite and link not allowed by TV). I've not seen the price for these facilities, possible 2 for the Gulf of Thailand and 1 for Andaman Sea.

The price of the submarines are cheap when compared to operational and maintenance costs.