U.S.'s Kelly says considering separating women, children at Mexico border

webfact

U.S.'s Kelly says considering separating women, children at Mexico border

REUTERS

r3.jpg

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly delivers remarks on issues related to visas and travel after U.S. President Donald Trump signed a new travel ban order in Washington, U.S., March 6, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said on Monday he was considering a proposal to separate women and children who cross the U.S. border with Mexico illegally.

"Yes, I am considering -- in order to deter more movement along this terribly dangerous network -- I am considering exactly that," Kelly said in response to a question in a CNN interview concerning media reports about the possible change in U.S. policy.

"They will be well cared for as we deal with their parents," Kelly said.

(Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Tim Ahmann)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-07

They will be well cared for as we deal with their parents," Kelly said.

I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before. Occupied Europe in the early 1940s perhaps?

Still, it will save lots of unpleasantness when they get the transports to the camps...

And before any one cries "liberal  hyperbole" perhaps they should take a long hard look at what happened, and what was said back then.

I don't think he has thought this out.   First of all when the children are removed, it will have to be done via a court order and custody will have to be granted to someone by the court.   In general the custodian will be the state.   The cost of keeping a child in foster care on average is a little less than $20,000 per child per year.   There are a lot of hidden costs such as medical.  

As the custodian the State cannot return them to the parents unless they have a stable home.   Oh, and then there is the possibility that the parents simply will not file for their return and leave them in the care of the US gov't.  

The legal costs of removing the child from the parents, appointing a guardian ad litem (usually an attorney) is going to be very, very costly.   Even if the children are placed with a relative, the relative is not financially responsible for the children, the state is.    If you place them with relatives, the parents may well be content to leave them with family.  

Many of the people who cross the border with children are doing so to claim asylum.  

A lot of people are going to make a lot of money on this.  

Separating children from parents is not only cruel but it is inhumane. In some States such s California when the parents are deported; the children are actually put into a foster home. Since the parents are deported and normally without access to funds or able to provide a support plan or return legally- the parents lose any legal right to their own children. The State then puts the children up for adoption. It is all done by court order.

The claim is that this will stop people from even attempting to cross the border illegally.Absolute nonsense- they will still come because hunger and poverty are powerful forces.

In addition, when is the US Congress going to stand up and put forth a real Immigration plan that puts forward a way to get legal ;  provide real Visas so people can enter for work and not have to  cross as illegals. 

In addition Mexico is America's third largest trading partner and its economy by 2030 is projected to be the 9th largest in the World.

Trump and his incompetent administration are picking the wrong fights and coming up with the wrong solutions. Trump and Kelly's plan will cost the US billions in care for separated children; not to mention billions lost in non productivity in certain agricultural sectors and other industry; and billions lost because Mexico Will fight back and go to other markets rather than import from a country that treats its citizens like chatel.

If this is how Trump conducts business and negotiation then it is no wonder he has gone bankrupt many times. The man is a sham and an incompetent.

Edited by Thaidream

19 hours ago, JAG said:

They will be well cared for as we deal with their parents," Kelly said.

I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before. Occupied Europe in the early 1940s perhaps?

Still, it will save lots of unpleasantness when they get the transports to the camps...

And before any one cries "liberal  hyperbole" perhaps they should take a long hard look at what happened, and what was said back then.

These remarks from Kelly gives me a real shiver.

Having experienced WW2,in Europe, (yes I am that old) was my first thought "concentration camps" and "run, run, run".

People are already fleeing the United States to Canada, they are called "refugees".

From the U.S.A., of all places.

Not in my wildest dreams did I thought this to be possible in the States, people fleeing the United States of America.

Wonder what the reaction of the late Bob Hope would be.:sad: