New Israeli law bars entry to foreigners supporting Israel boycott

webfact

While there can be said so many beautiful verses for Israel, the bare truth is that Israel is a fundamental religious country. Israel might have developed further than the neighbouring 'stone aged' countries, but it's still one of the Arab countries with an addition of folks mainly from Russia and Eastern Europe.

I have always been perplexed, why Israel has been under US special protection and really huge amount of support money from the government and therefore from the people of the US. After all the Jews are under 1% of the US population.

The dependency of the oil from the Middle East is gone. There is no longer strategic benefit of supporting Israel for US. What makes ordinary US folks to be eager to give yet another proportion of their taxes to Israel? Why the ordinary people of US, still wish to support the Middle Eastern country, instead of their own children?

Call me triggered, this is what you get. Want some more?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Another PR disaster in the making.

Whether or not the law is ever enacted, it is very bad publicity to even propose and promote it.

More than anything else it shows how seriously the radical Zionists are taking the worldwide boycott and divestment movement.

It's a PR disaster from an international, foreign relations point of view. But good PR domestically for the politicians sponsoring it, at least as far as their base of support is concerned.

More than anything, the last line feels like wishful thinking. Or to be more accurate, it's complicated.

In real terms, the BDS effect is economically negligent. Citing this or that instance of "success" is the best way of demonstrating the point. If it was as "successful" as all that, such shot lists would not be possible nor necessary. In PR terms, the BDS does better among certain crowds and segments, but still falls short of making any concrete change.

The BDS does work particularly well with regard to two groups. Those opposing Israel and Israeli right wing supporters. When it comes to the latter, the BDS image as a threat was something hyped and promoted by the likes of Netanyahu. It makes for an easy target, and be association, discredits many opposing left-wing outfits. As an added benefit, it enhances the siege mentality (the whole world is against us) many of these supporters already possess.

Further hyping the BDS as a credible and meaningful "threat" is beneficial for right wing politicians. And dreaming up related legislation to "combat" and "counter" the "threat" plays well to their home crowd. Some of these politicians may actually buy into this nonsense, but IMO, most are rather cynical.

5 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

The fact that not one country in the world supports Israel's occupation of the West Bank makes you sound ridiculous.

There are also no countries maintaining relations with Israel who support the BDS. Objecting to Israel's policies in the West Bank and Gaza Strip does not necessitate subscribing to the BDS agenda.

3 hours ago, Elfin said:

Morch said " Seems like there's a redundant D in your last line."

Are you referring to big organizations such as the US Presbyterian church having its superannuation fund divest from companies such as Viola and G4 Securities to the point where both these companies are selling their businesses (divesting) in Israel to protect their global names?

BDS are also working very hard against Hewlett-Packard and Caterpillar as divestment targeting examples.

The D is far from being redundant Morch.

BDS

Again, if you can name individual "success" cases, it means that there aren't that many of them. Citing this or that company caving in to pressure is nice, but ultimately (as even your post indicates) the businesses in question often pass to other companies. For an effect to be real, there should be some noticeable indication on the national level directly related to it. I don't know of such. Projections of what it might amount to, or what Israeli economy stands to gain if things were different, aren't direct, actual effects. For every such example, there are others - of companies investing in Israel, buying Israeli companies, technology and goods.

There is no equivalent government level action (at least not by countries maintaining relations with Israel). Without government level participation and support, this will go nowhere, at least as far as economy goes.

So yes, a redundant D.

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

It would be nice to see, that the moderate Jews around the world, start to condemn the actions of the radical jews who live in the Israel. The same way like it is often asked from moderate Muslims to condemn jihadists.

It would be nice to see posters not trolling, but eh...

There are plenty to Jews, in and out of Israel, which oppose the Israeli government's policies in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Terming the "jews who live in Israel" as "radical", opposed to the "moderate Jews around the world", is not even clueless - simply baiting. And the same goes for the inane comparison to "jihadists".

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

It would be nice to see posters not trolling, but eh...

There are plenty to Jews, in and out of Israel, which oppose the Israeli government's policies in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Terming the "jews who live in Israel" as "radical", opposed to the "moderate Jews around the world", is not even clueless - simply baiting. And the same goes for the inane comparison to "jihadists".

Challenging the status quo and asking questions is not trolling. It's challenging the opponent, which you already knew by answering. Let's not go there. I'm talking about my own experiences travelling around our little planet and meeting various people. 

Like I said, I see two very different groups of Jews. I see the moderates and I see the radicalised ones from Israel. 

No I don't think the Israelis are ready to blow themselves up, but I see them as people who ARE ready to fight. For the rest of the people in the world, that is NOT normal behaviour for the rest of us.

While I don't see Israelis blowing themselves up, I see their forced patriotism similar to the jiddhaist religion. 

27 minutes ago, oilinki said:

There are plentiful of countries who support Jesus, while Israel denies his existence. I believe all of the Muslim countries think that Jesus was one of their own prophets, but Jews deny his existence.

Naturally every Christian country is against Jewish belief. After all Christ was the person who purified judaism from greed and created Christianity.

So, how any true Christian person can truly support the Jewish greed? That is what is going on in Israel at this time. The greed of people in power.

That's one of the most intensely antisemitic posts I've ever seen on this forum. 

Wow. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That's one of the most intensely antisemitic posts I've ever seen on this forum. 

Wow. 

Why do you think so? Please explain.

6 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Challenging the status quo and asking questions is not trolling. It's challenging the opponent, which you already knew by answering. Let's not go there. I'm talking about my own experiences travelling around our little planet and meeting various people. 

Like I said, I see two very different groups of Jews. I see the moderates and I see the radicalised ones from Israel. 

No I don't think the Israelis are ready to blow themselves up, but I see them as people who ARE ready to fight. For the rest of the people in the world, that is NOT normal behaviour for the rest of us.

While I don't see Israelis blowing themselves up, I see their forced patriotism similar to the jiddhaist religion. 

Ready to fight? You mean the IDF. Without the IDF Israel wouldn't exist but I get it and most Jews get it, there are plenty people in the world that would be thrilled about that. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Your post speaks for itself for the world to see. Time to disengage. Cheers. 

Oh, seriously? You made a claim about me and I can't even get a explanation what did I said wrong?

Accusing another person without being honest is not a good thing. You should know that.

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is an international movement that has experienced varying degrees of resonance called BDS. Google it. 

res·o·nance
ˈrezənəns/
noun
noun: resonance; plural noun: resonances
    the quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating.
    "the resonance of his voice"
    • the ability to evoke or suggest images, memories, and emotions.
      "the concepts lose their emotional resonance"
    Physics
    the reinforcement or prolongation of sound by reflection from a surface or by the synchronous vibration of a neighboring object.

okay....that explains it

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. 

This shows the utter delusion, even Trumpist world view of some people. 

We, the normal people don't give rat's ass about what's someone's religion. 

However we do not particularly like, when someone stupid brings religion to the table.

We, the majority, don't care about antisemitism, nor antichistianity. We, the majority just don't care. Get used to it.

There are 7 times more agnostics in the USA, than there are Jews. There are 71 times more people who believe in Jesus in the USA, than there are Jews.

You know, simple facts, which are easily confirmed.    

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

While there can be said so many beautiful verses for Israel, the bare truth is that Israel is a fundamental religious country. Israel might have developed further than the neighbouring 'stone aged' countries, but it's still one of the Arab countries with an addition of folks mainly from Russia and Eastern Europe.

I have always been perplexed, why Israel has been under US special protection and really huge amount of support money from the government and therefore from the people of the US. After all the Jews are under 1% of the US population.

The dependency of the oil from the Middle East is gone. There is no longer strategic benefit of supporting Israel for US. What makes ordinary US folks to be eager to give yet another proportion of their taxes to Israel? Why the ordinary people of US, still wish to support the Middle Eastern country, instead of their own children?

Call me triggered, this is what you get. Want some more?

One off-topic post has been removed.   Please stay on topic which is the current plan to bar entry for foreigners supporting BDS.

As for the US support of Israel, which is also off-topic, it is a rather complex issue.   I think a lot of people were appalled and surprised at the extent of the holocaust.   There is no doubt that in the upper levels of the gov't there was reason to believe that it was known, but returning soldiers and footage of the extend was a human tragedy that was largely incomprehensible to the average person.   Please remember, that unlike Europe, the US did not suffer the same ravages of war and carnage seen by Europeans.  

There was a guilt and a focus on the holocaust.   The Jews had lost their property, their homes, their possessions.   They really didn't have too many options and the political will and means to set up the country was there.

The US should have and could have done more to prevent the extent of the tragedy and there was a collective guilt.   Having helped to establish Israel, the US has stood by her for better or worse.  

But this is an issue of a whole different thread.   Not here and not now, however.

1 hour ago, bangkok101 said:
res·o·nance
ˈrezənəns/
noun
noun: resonance; plural noun: resonances
    the quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating.
    "the resonance of his voice"
    • the ability to evoke or suggest images, memories, and emotions.
      "the concepts lose their emotional resonance"
    Physics
    the reinforcement or prolongation of sound by reflection from a surface or by the synchronous vibration of a neighboring object.

okay....that explains it

Perhaps the context of this sentence in this paragraph snippet will assist you in understanding the way I used the word. As you know, many words have multiple definitions.

http://www.standwithus.com/news/article.asp?id=3210

I take note, however, that, to a large part, the BDS backers at DePaul this year have been far less strident and shrill than those at other campuses.  This may be because many of the BDS supporters at DePaul are in fact well-intentioned, albeit terribly misinformed as to the facts.  It may also reflect the local leadership's recognition that members of the DePaul University community would not be receptive to the blatant, ugly anti-Semitic tactics that find resonance elsewhere. 

Anyway, I think you can google BDS.

Edited by Jingthing

I understood from some discussions, that Israel could have been created in the middle of the US.

Could Israel, in the midlands of the USA, been the perfect solution?

Is this the reason, why US still think they are responsible of the Israel?

btw. This information was told to me by a thinking republican and trumpist. I'm also asking wether the information is true or not.

Edited by Guest

Quote from link :

"It also bans entry visas and residency rights for those who call for boycotts of Israeli institutions in any “area under its control”, including Jewish settlements in the West Bank that are regarded as illegal under international law."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-travel-ban-boycott-supporters-bds-movement-banned-knesset-vote-settlements-visas-residency-a7616701.html

Makes that any Jewish, Muslim or Catholic pilgrim who's against the illegal settlements will be stopped at any border and access to the Holy Land will be denied, ...except for Israeli residents or nationals...

Freedom of movement is rather a basic human right for everyone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, Thorgal said:

BDS is not pointed to the Israeli 'people' nor its 'values'.

BDS was created to force the Israel government to peace negotiations through economic sanctions. BDS is not directed to any individual or group, but rather against the colonial policies exercised by the Israeli government since the creation of its state in Palestine.

To suggest that it's an anti-semitic movement is rather wrong and false.

To know that the first organised mass BDS-movement in history was pronounced in 1933 in Amsterdam by world Jewry associations to start economic sanctions in Europe against Germany.
Later on those same sanctions were also promoted in the US against Germany.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Search Omar Barghouti, Electronic Intifadah. Their own statements and positions of these groups speak for themselves. Anti semites have infested various Green Parties in Europe and North America and BDS really has nothing to do with ending occupation, that would just be the first step. These people demand the original injustice be avenged.

After Israel is "forced" back to negotiations will Israel agree to right of return and one man one vote as Barghouti demands?  That would mean suicide for Israel.  I think it is intellectually dishonest to not admit that calling for the end of the one Jewish state on earth is not fundamentally anti-semitic. I feel particularly sorry for the well meaning dupes in my country (USA), even American Jews who fall for this propaganda disguised as a social justice moment.

Edited by Dipterocarp

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

Search Omar Barghouti, Electronic Intifadah. Their own statements and positions of these groups speak for themselves. Anti semites have infested various Green Parties in Europe and North America and BDS really has nothing to do with ending occupation, that would just be the first step. These people demand the original injustice be avenged.

After Israel is "forced" back to negotiations will Israel agree to right of return and one man one vote as Barghouti demands?  That would mean suicide for Israel.  I think it is intellectually dishonest to not admit that calling for the end of the one Jewish state on earth is not fundamentally anti-semitic. I feel particularly sorry for the well meaning dupes in my country (USA), even American Jews who fall for this propaganda disguised as a social justice moment.

Can you hear yourself speaking?

This outrageous goal that the Palestinians may have the nerve to seek through the pressure of BDS is...

one man one vote
the right of refugees to return to their homes

If that means an end to the manufactured Jewish dominance of the state of Israel so be it. Get over it. Just as white South Africans, the Jim Crow south, White Australia, gerrymandered Protestant Northern Ireland had to come to terms with changing times. It's called progress.

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” - Nelson Mandela

Doesn't it rather tell you something that...
 after over 100 years of Jewish immigration and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians creating a world wide diaspora of millions of refugees, and a whole raft of discriminatory immigration, residence, and marriage laws to maintain Jewish demographic superiority, and huge appeals and financial incentives to worldwide Jewry to come and live in Israel, but they vote with their feet to stay where they are doing very nicely thank you..
.... even after all that, that Palestinians are still the majority in Palestine.

Edited by dexterm

1 hour ago, dexterm said:

This outrageous goal that the Palestinians may have the nerve to seek through the pressure of BDS is...

one man one vote

If that means an end to the manufactured Jewish dominance of the state of Israel so be it. Get over it. Just as white South Africans, the Jim Crow south, White Australia, gerrymandered Protestant Northern Ireland had to come to terms with changing times. It's called progress.

after over 100 years of Jewish immigration and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians creating a world wide diaspora of millions of refugees, and a whole raft of discriminatory immigration, residence, and marriage laws to maintain Jewish demographic superiority, and huge appeals and financial incentives to worldwide Jewry to come and live in Israel, but they vote with their feet to stay where they are doing very nicely thank you..
.... even after all that, that Palestinians are still the majority in Palestine.

Unlike Barghouti it is refreshing to read an honest opinion of what is considered progress. Replacement of a Jewish dominance in a secular state for an Arab dominance that would inevitably lead to another genocide and expulsion of Jews from the middle east something that will NEVER happen AGAIN.  

Comparing Israel to South Africa is so facile I would not know where to begin were whites in Apartheid South Africa ever tried by Black judges?  By the way Boycott SA was never effective until the US pulled the plug  and I don't see USA abandoning Israel any time soon. Rather than "force" Israel back to the bargaining table with a racist BDS program I suggest the enemies of Israel stop their terror attacks.

10 hours ago, oilinki said:

""Challenging the status  quo" will require, at the very least, an better understanding of the situation than either your evident (and self proclaimed) lack of knowledge or your bigoted rants indicate.

The "experience" alluded to is minimal, and shallow. I doubt that it can be counted as qualifying even as an informed opinion, never mind serving as a firm foundation for "challenging the status quo". 

Considering the OP itself mentions opposition to the legislation on the Israeli parliament, the reference to all Jews in Israel as "radicalized" is obviously off mark.

I have no idea what you're on about with the generalization "people who are ready to fight". Especially as something setting Israelis apart from "the rest of us" (who, exactly?). Israeli aren't the only group in the world involved in fighting or willing to fight for certain goals.

As you are apparently unaware (or rather, willfully ignoring) of different trends and views within Israel, the "informed observation" with regard to "forced patriotism", and the absurd comparison to "Jihadist religion" (there's a "Jihadist religion"?) are nothing but drivel.

You are not "challenging the status quo", and you are not an "opponent". Just a troll.

Edited by Morch

13 hours ago, dexterm said:

Shouting the word indigenous in upper case does not make it a fact.
Judaism is a religion not a race.

This is all part of the "perfect" Zionist narrative:
How can it be land theft if we are native.
How can it be colonization if God promised us the land in the Bible?
How can a BDS boycott be justified if we Jews are actually the natives.

You just have to use your eyes. Most of world Jewry after centuries of race diluted by intermarriage and conversion look more like European Caucasians than Palestinians or the their Arab neighbors, because Europe of course is where most came from to colonize Palestine. 

But this "being native" claim helps the great Zionist hoax that say a New York Jew is somehow returning home when granted automatic citizenship, although he has never set eyes on the place before,  justifying the theft of land from local Palestinians, while the Palestinian refugees who still have their keys are not allowed to return to their confiscated homes just a few minutes away in Israel.

That is the great injustice that BDS is fighting.

Yeah, by now we're all aware of your extreme rejectionist stance. Inane and dishonest as it is. Not very interesting, except for the last bit.

"That is the great injustice that BDS is fighting."

If one was to take this bit at face value, it would appear that the ultimate goal of the BDS would be the undoing of the state of Israel, rather than the more reasonable and limited goal represented by the two-state solution. Because, if one fully adopts the position presented above, it follows that the only ones possessing rights with regard to the land are the Palestinians. 

Now, obviously, the BDS is structured (if that's the appropriate term) in a way which incorporates different points of view. This allows for various claims, even conflicting ones, regarding it's goals. So whether or not your own interpretation is the accepted norm, or whether it's just another instance of co-opting others to your extreme point of view, remains unanswered.

If the former, it takes away the BDS's supposed "reasonable" mantle, and makes it even less relevant. If the latter, well...nothing new there.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

Yeah, by now we're all aware of your extreme rejectionist stance. Inane and dishonest as it is. Not very interesting, except for the last bit.

"That is the great injustice that BDS is fighting."

If one was to take this bit at face value, it would appear that the ultimate goal of the BDS would be the undoing of the state of Israel, rather than the more reasonable and limited goal represented by the two-state solution. Because, if one fully adopts the position presented above, it follows that the only ones possessing rights with regard to the land are the Palestinians. 

Now, obviously, the BDS is structured (if that's the appropriate term) in a way which incorporates different points of view. This allows for various claims, even conflicting ones, regarding it's goals. So whether or not your own interpretation is the accepted norm, or whether it's just another instance of co-opting others to your extreme point of view, remains unanswered.

If the former, it takes away the BDS's supposed "reasonable" mantle, and makes it even less relevant. If the latter, well...nothing new there.

well it's their land right?  so much hatred from you and insults to other posters you don't do your 'case' many favors

3 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

2 hours ago, dexterm said:

one man one vote

Exceptionally good reply.

Concise and to the point; it demolishes the familiar talking points and avoids the nasty personal attacks.

3 minutes ago, binjalin said:

well it's their land right?  so much hatred from you and insults to other posters you don't do your 'case' many favors

Deflect away. The point made was with regard to the supposed goals of the BDS. Seems there are instances in which one version is touted, and then there are times when a more extreme view emerges. Which one is it?

Obviously, the indignation with supposed "hatred" and "insults" is a one way street for some.

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

Unlike Barghouti it is refreshing to read an honest opinion of what is considered progress. Replacement of a Jewish dominance in a secular state for an Arab dominance that would inevitably lead to another genocide and expulsion of Jews from the middle east something that will NEVER happen AGAIN.  

Comparing Israel to South Africa is so facile I would not know where to begin were whites in Apartheid South Africa ever tried by Black judges?  By the way Boycott SA was never effective until the US pulled the plug  and I don't see USA abandoning Israel any time soon. Rather than "force" Israel back to the bargaining table with a racist BDS program I suggest the enemies of Israel stop their terror attacks.

>>Replacement of a Jewish dominance in a secular state for an Arab dominance that would inevitably lead to another genocide and expulsion of Jews

...that's where we disagree. Your scenario is not inevitable. I believe people of different faiths, races and cultures can live together in peace. It's how I was raised.

But I also realize that after so many bitter years of conflict any transition to a secular state would have to be handled carefully with checks and balances, and some degree of social engineering such as via education. Israel could still be a haven for genuinely persecuted Jews throughout the world via a clause in its constitution. The benefits of peace may actually also attract more Jewish immigration .

I regard the Jewish State of Israel is an artifical construct imposed on a majority Muslim and Christian resident population. That is the fatal flaw which will ultimately cause the end of one group's dominance over the other..there are too many of the other.

I support the BDS movement...oops I just got myself banned from Israel...because I regard the present illegal occupation as de facto apartheid, but as other posters have stated we do not have de jure apartheid yet until Israel annexes the West Bank.

IMO all the signs are there that it will ultimately annex simply because there is virtually no land left for a viable Palestinian state..Israel has bulldozed itself into a hole, creating too many extremely hard to reverse facts on the ground. Trump has spilled the beans from his meeting with Netanyahu with US for the first time ever mooting a single state. Israel will then have to face the dilemma of what to do with the 2.5 million Palestinians it has just annexed.

The OP ban on people who support BDS is indirectly yet another indication that Israel regards the occupied territories and all that is produced there as Product of Israel, deleting the Green Line and any possibility of a two state solution.

Edited by dexterm
disambiguity