Thai Transport fines 18 Uber Taxi drivers in a single day

webfact

Transport fines 18 Uber Taxi drivers in a single day

Uber.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Eighteen Uber Taxi drivers were fined, and sent to attend attitude adjustment courses for three hours in one day after transport officials, police and soldiers launched a joint campaign to clamp down on private car providing taxi service without official license.

Of the 18 taxis caught yesterday for providing taxi service, 16 are private cars (black license plates), one new car (red license plate), and a service limousine.

They were fined 2,000 baht each for using private car to give taxi service without license, and 2,000 baht for not registering their cars as taxis.

All were also sent to attend attitude adjustment courses, and traffic laws for three hours.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-fines-18-uber-taxi-drivers-single-day/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-07

Heavy crackdown looms on Uber, ride-sharing apps
By The Nation

ed4777630bece4e1a9e09bdb3f70dccf.jpeg

File photo of Land Transport Department deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department is planning to propose the use of Article 44 of the interrim charter to close the Uber app as well as other ride-sharing apps.

Deputy director-general Nanthapong Cherdchu said a sting operation on Monday in Bangkok had led to 18 Uber drivers being nabbed and each was fined Bt2,000. 

He said the agency must try to make Thais understand that the use of Uber was illegal and if any accident happened, a customer would receive less protection under the law. He called for improvement of the Thai taxi service to make them more attractive to users. "We may need a stronger medicine; we might propose the use of Article 44 to close this [Uber] app, as it is destroying the public transport system in the area," he added.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308170

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-07

Ahhh, i feel so much safer now that I am forced to go back to taxi meter that refuse to use meter (chiang mai) or tuk tuk or song taew where there's no seatbelts and you get to breathe in exhaust fumes all day...  Yes, thank you, fine achievements by the government..

When will they crack down on taximeter who refuse meter in chiang mai? 4 years i lived here and never ever did they use a meter.

6 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

I think their time would be better spent focussing on the driving morons, prats, inbreds, dickkheads snd scum in ordinary taxis.

They have yearly crackdowns on those as well. I think taximeter works pretty well in bangkok...  Phuket, samui, chiang mai.. Not so much... :)

"He said the agency must try to make Thais understand that the use of Uber was illegal and if any accident happened, a customer would receive less protection under the law."

Perhaps, but he may want to understand the UBER insurance requirements...as it's just not true...and may supersede the insurance of the local taxi industry.

https://newsroom.uber.com/227972/

IMO the existing taxi systems in most countries has become totally dysfunctional and overpriced in relation to "public" transportation.  

In CM it needs a complete overhaul and the same legal enforcement they are doing to Uber.

Otherwise, let ride share type programs exist without the threat of a "stronger medicine".   They work quite well, many thais and farang use it because its cheaper and much more convenient and certainly safer than tuktuk or red truck.  
Times are a changin, come on CM, get with the changes or you're turning a potential pot of gold into a black kettle of muck.
Just another self-inflicted gun shot wound to the foot. 

Edited by Nowisee

1 minute ago, Nowisee said:

IMO the existing taxi systems in most countries has become totally dysfunctional and overpriced in relation to "public" transportation.  

In CM it needs a complete overhaul and the same legal enforcement they are doing to Uber.

Otherwise, let ride share type programs exist without the threat of a "stronger medicine".  

Just another self-inflicted gun shot wound to the foot. 

I suspect that this uber crackdown will not last OR that "influental figures" are pushing the envelope. It's gonna be another "tell" on how thai society is really working behind the scenes.

The UBER guys are smart, and relentless. They will figure Thailand out.

The authorities can keep trying to outlaw UBER, but UBER morph and change and use technology so efficiently, that it will be difficult to rule them out completely.

The Government agenda is pretty clear. Some influential people benefit from taxi's in Thailand, so they will do everything they can to remove competition and maintain their financial benefit. 

In my experience UBER is cheaper, more reliable, better cars and more courteous drivers...

My son use Uber from Don Muang airport to Rayong and it was only 1000bt. Hé they said were good drivers and was happy with the service. Cost me more than 1000 with the normal taxis there.

3 out of 4 songthews will not stop  here in CM, just fly by empty.  also the fares are unregulated. some also  are in pretty bad shape and should not be on the road. drivers are doped up or drunk driving erratically.  deplorable characters over charging. 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Attitude adjustment   :cheesy::cheesy:

You naughty naughty people you stop now understand, ok ok.

Why you not listen me?????

That reminds me.. first ticket in the US  at 18 years old.. I could not pay the fine, I had go to Driver's safety training every Monday for a month... miss a class then the fine doubled.

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

3 out of 4 songthews will not stop  here in CM, just fly by empty.  also the fares are unregulated. some also  are in pretty bad shape and should not be on the road. drivers are doped up or drunk driving erratically.  deplorable characters over charging. 

Even when the driver stops and only charges 20thb per person you are still forced to sit sideways and inhale exhaust fumes. Awesome combination for someone that easily gets motion sick.... Its just not worth it.. Then again neither is tuk tuk or taximeter in cm..  So i bought my own scooter... Then uber came.. And wow, its so nice,, u can have a couple of beers and take the uber instead of the scooter...

There's  a REALLY  simple solution to the uber problem... That is for the taxiMETER to turn on the METER and i would take it every time, jist like i always do when in bkk.. I dont get why anyone even uses uber in bangkok,, or have the meters gone up in price last 10 years or what?

24 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

A damn sight more enthusiastic in dealing with Uber drivers than they are with the sometimes moronic behaviour of the drivers of the standard taxis.

Yeah, or reckless driving in general...lots of fatalities... 

I predict this crackdown will end soon and uber will win..

Then there will be some incident where a uber driver crashes and a new crackdown will happens. Rinse and repeat. Jah bless.

All they really need to do is make the taximeters use the meter and i would be ok.

Ok anybody taken a taxi in Australia They are way over the top for what they charge. The government there also is not letting uber drivers operate but is some states they do  Depends how much the taxi drivers donate to the Liberal government there to keep the uber drivers out. Is that corruption you think ?Maybe that is happening here also. But you are right I went with a taxi here the other day Wow he did frighten to living daylights out of me the way he drove I have also been with a Uber driver they tend to drive more careful because they own the car I was very happy the way he drove.My question is Why are they not allowed to operate when most of the taxi drivers i have been with have no license also?