My Wifes Id Card

weeman

JUST GOT MARRIED ON 5TH APRIL IN THAILAND MY WIFE NOW HAS 60 DAYS TO CHANGE HER ID .

HOW EASY IS IT TO DO AS SHE SAID THERE WAS PROBLEM BY WHAT SHE WAS SAYING SOUNDS LIKE THEY WERE TALKING HER OUT OF TAKING MY FAMILY NAME .

THE WAY I WAS THINKING IS IF HER ID CARD IS IN MY FAMILY NAME THEN WHEN SHE GOES TO APPLY FOR PASSPORT THAT WILL BE IN MY NAME AS WELL AS WE WILL BE APPLYING FOR SETTLEMENT VISA IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS HER HAVING MY FAMILY NAME IS A MUST ?

WHAT `S THE PRICE OF CHANGING ID CARDS ?

ONE MORE THING MY WIFE HAS NO FATHER AND MOTHER LIVES IN TAIWAN WHEN SHE TOLD HER MOTHER SHE HAD GOT MARRIED HER MOTHER SAID SHE WAS COMING HOME IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS THE SAME TIME I WILL BE THERE.

IM THINKING DOWRY BUT AS MY WIFE HAS BEEN MARRIED BEFORE NOT LEGAL MIND AND I KNOW HER MOTHER HAD DOWRY FIRST TIME DO I PAY OR NOT ?

HELP ME PLEASE

WEEMAN

When you were at amphur registering your marriage is the time that she should have had her ID card changed,she will have to get a new picture taken and a card made up.

You did get married and registered at AMPHUR didn't you? If not then you are not married.

And I wouldn't pay a dowry even if she was an 18 year old virgin and had never even been in a room alone with another man including her father,specially not for one that has been shackin up with a guy[no matter,if not married at amphur,then it was shackin up] :o

Is the question how hard is it to change the wife ID card or whether to pay the dowry?

The first one is VERY EASY and can be done at any Amphur (except maybe Banglamung). Just take your marriage certificate and it is done. New picture taken and new ID handed over.

The dowry question is up 2 u. With new ID getting a changed passport is even easier, although cost Bt100.

:o

1. don't pay , you will already be paying for the rest of your life. I mean everyone in your new thai family will have there hand out every time you visit them.

2. If you ever plan on moving back to Thailand have your wife keep her last name.

It might make things easier. The new law changes state that Thai women married to farang can buy land now. It wasn't always like that. That's why she should keep her last name, just incase they change the law again.

I hope you have better luck with the Thai I.D. card than my wife did. It's a long story but bottom line is it took her about 9 trips to several amphurs to finally get one.

Good luck

I hope you have better luck with the Thai I.D. card than my wife did. It's a long story but bottom line is it took her about 9 trips to several amphurs to finally get one.

Good luck

We had exactly the same experience. Thai civil servants live to piss on Thais who are associated in most any way with westerners, much less those who are actually so disloyal to their own race as to marry them.

For a Thai woman, changing her name to a farang name is seldom a pleasant or routine undertaking.

So the new Thai law allows a Thai women married to foreigner to own the land or buy a house; that's awesome. Does she have to be Thai citizen?

I won't discuss about dowry since I have no knowledge about it. I can only guess that it has something to do with Thai culture.

Oz may acknowledge de facto relationships but the embassy doesn't go out of their way to acknowledge them.

Howsoever the Embassy remains bound by Australian law. They'd get rolled on appeal.

As usual you are correct again Doc.

question 21 on the application form (47SP)

check box, have you ever been in a defacto spouse relationship?

when did the realtionship begin (date)

If it's been longer than a year then it's recognised under Austalian Law as a "Defacto Spouse relationship". ( I've got a couple of mates here in Oz who wish it didn't cause after 1 year they get their slice of his pie if they split) :o

The embassy could be over ruled in the majority of rejected cases if people were inclined to push the issue with the Australian Government. It is more about making life easy for yourself rather than right and wrong.

To actually reverse a descision your only recourse is the MRT and last time I checked it was $1200, but the process is there.

You are right though, cross your "T's" and dot your "I's" do everything you can not to give them a reason for rejection.

Good luck

We had exactly the same experience. Thai civil servants live to piss on Thais who are associated in most any way with westerners, much less those who are actually so disloyal to their own race as to marry them.

For a Thai woman, changing her name to a farang name is seldom a pleasant or routine undertaking.

The hardest part about changing names for my wife was waiting in line, and doing her hair for the photo...we found it very easy and took about 30 mins.

Then answering the question posed by the old perve who wantred to know how much I pay her each month. Evetrytime we got to the Amphur he asks her that :o the wifey tells him half a mill a month :D

Banglamung Amphur tend to want money for the change in name on the ID. My wife refused to pay them so we went to Rayong for a drive and did it there. Like tukyleith the biggest problem was the wait. After about an hour the baby got grumpy so the man put the wife to the front of the line and we were out inside 10 mins, new ID in hand. :o

My beautifull wife and myself married in january this year, once the marriage had been made official at the amphur my wife changed her name there and then, took approx ten minutes, cant remember how much, not much, received a new id card straight away with the new process, changed her passport one week later in bangkok, easy.

The dowrie up to you, things are different in Thailand as is every country, respect your wife and her custom, its the respect of the offer, not how much.