Those jet-skis again - Australian media cites L.O.S. Thailand as Land of Scams

webfact

3 hours ago, smedly said:

unfortunately the authorities here are in denial - I actually think they don't believe these scams take place and it's all the imagination of tourists, this is likely backed up by local police are in fact heavily involved.

I've heard a story about this. They but water soluble paint to cover the scratches the they demanded 50,000 baht. The customer demanded the police and he was told to pay up. That's why I will never use it Jet Ski in Pattaya.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

3 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Apparently Australian tourists in Singapore have been known to "fall victim to “outrage of modesty” scams".

Here is a link to the full News.com.au article.

Never heard or read about this before. Cant be common.

Have you never heard of ALL the Aussie tourists who decide to buy a condo when on holiday in Singapore?

Me neither :sorry:

38 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And where in the world doesn´t scams exist. It´s up to the individual to be informed and aware.

And how does a first time visitor become informed? Is their a sign before immigration that leave all of your rights for fair treatment here? Even when your right, your wrong or some back handed paid official will tell you your wrong.

Well done to the Aussie media for calling the Thais out on this issue. Something that the Australlian ambassador would never do, judging by his recent patronising comments about Thailand's relationship with Australians.

Edited by Dodgydownunder

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry recommends that people renting take a picture of the jet-ski beforehand to help with any possible trouble.

Proving that the ministry have no clue what they're dealing with.  Who are they going to show the photo to?  The cop that comes to mediate, who's in on it up to his eyeballs?

This isn't a polite scam- a battle of wits and evidence.  It's brutal extortion.  The only 100% safe course is to avoid them altogether.  

Edited by impulse

Taking photographs of the jet-ski prior to use won't help if the scratches have been covered by water soluble paint.  Take it back out of the water after use and the 'damage' miraculously appears - magic!

The only way of protecting yourself is to NEVER hire a jet-ski from anyone ANYWHERE in Thailand. Simple.

46 minutes ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

Jet ski owner to blame for his scamming intentions.

Tourists to blame for their naivety.

Needs both parties for the scam to occur,but I bet the jet ski owner never held a gun at a tourist and said"YOU MUST rent my jet ski"

Live and learn.Bought experience always teaches one more than taught experience.

I always knew it was the tourists' fault for being scammed 

People go to a foreign country for the first time for the joy of discovery of new scenery, new climate, new cultures and traditions and do not expect those cultures to include a practised art of scamming and overpricing at almost every level. An unpleasant experience with rental of jet skis and its endemic culture of scamming and threatening behaviour will ensure that the visitors will not come back.

The scammers got away with it for years with police connivance, but social media is now highlighting these episodes and many other Thai failings which will inevitably result in a future reduction in tourist numbers to the detriment of Thailand and to the benefit of its neighbours. 

15 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

And how does a first time visitor become informed? Is their a sign before immigration that leave all of your rights for fair treatment here? Even when your right, your wrong or some back handed paid official will tell you your wrong.

Wow! You amaze me!

How do you get informed. Nah, for people not thinking at all, it´s just not easy.
For the people that thinks and plan their trip, there are news to read before go. Just not buy a ticket and think you know everything.

Other sources is this forum, social media and friends that went before.

Hope you get it now.

2 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I have lived in Thailand since 2010 and I have never used a jet Ski nor do I intend to use one soon.

It is only a SCAM if you participate in it.

If you don't participate you won't be scammed.

This is common knowledge amongst the farang locals that the jet-ski scams are everywhere along the Pattaya & Jontiem coast line. Its difficult to argue when holiday makers are confronted with angry Thai's screaming in your face, demanding money. Its a pity that there are no Thai Police on duty to serve and protect the tourists.

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Wow! You amaze me!

How do you get informed. Nah, for people not thinking at all, it´s just not easy.
For the people that thinks and plan their trip, there are news to read before go. Just not buy a ticket and think you know everything.

Hope you get it now.

When I first arrived in 1999, there was naught but brochures.

You are correct though, in that today, a simple Google search will show you most anything you might be curious about.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

unfortunately the authorities here are in denial - I actually think they don't believe these scams take place and it's all the imagination of tourists, this is likely backed up by local police are in fact heavily involved.

The authorities know very well that these scams take place and they also know very well about police involvement ... do you really think that Thai's don't know what is going on in Thailand?

They know, but do not care. As far as they are concerned it's a case of "intelligent" Thai's making money from "stupid" foreigners, something that does not find its way onto the Thai moral code. 

Lesson for tourists - come to Thailand, don't waste your money on rip off activities or crap market products that end up in the bin, get the best out of the country that you can with minimum outgoing. In other words, embrace "Thainess".

26 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Wow! You amaze me!

Hope you get it now.

" Hope you get it now."

Ridiculous to blame tourists for not knowing about a jet ski scam.

"We're planning our trip to Thailand. We're online looking at hotels, restaurants, places to visit, transportation.

I think that covers everything.

Oh wait! We forgot to research jet ski scams! Of course!"

People assume that - especially at a country that depends on tourism - there will not be long running scams - the government and law enforcement and tourism bureau will not permit it.

That's not the case here, but don't blame the tourists for not knowing.

Edited by JimmyJ

11 minutes ago, lavender19 said:

When the UK media said that Pattaya was the sex capital there were raids on bars and closures.  I wonder if there will be any raids on the very well connected jet ski scammers?

No there won't. Same as there will be no 'reforms'. 

Aren't we Stupid Farangs. 

On organising and booking our dream holiday in Thailand, where to go and what to see and do, how to get there and how to get around of course it's our job to be informed on what scams are common. We should also check building codes to be sure our hotel is built safely, food preparation regulations, transportation standards and regulations including marine regs for the transportation of passengers and..........

oh hell ...... Isn't this supposed to be a holiday?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Last week Thailand's own ministry for tourism and sports suggested that the upcoming Jet-ski World Cup in Pattaya was a great way to highlight the attractions of the resort.

Rather runs contrary to what global entities are saying. They are touting LOS as the land of scams while the TAT is touting it as the land of smiles. Having a world jet ski competition at a time when they have a bad reputation outcry seems to fly in the face of popular thinking well which is nothing new for Thailand. The people saying these nasty things better not set foot on Thai soil or its of to the gaol with them and a computer crimes act charge slapped on them. They will be made to pay for their dastardly deed right dick??

27 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

No wait, so you get chatting with some bint spinning you a story about a relative going to work in your home country and asking you to 'come to her house to give advice' [sic] to said relative and you end up in a card game whereby you were attempted to have been scammed? :laugh:

your point being?

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Rather runs contrary to what global entities are saying. They are touting LOS as the land of scams while the TAT is touting it as the land of smiles. Having a world jet ski competition at a time when they have a bad reputation outcry seems to fly in the face of popular thinking well which is nothing new for Thailand. The people saying these nasty things better not set foot on Thai soil or its of to the gaol with them and a computer crimes act charge slapped on them. They will be made to pay for their dastardly deed right dick??

It's truly sad, ain't it El G, that precious few people will even call it LOS anymore?

I know I can't bring myself to do it.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

The best thing to do is have a Jet Ski demolition derby. Give a trophy to the winner if he survives. Jet ski problem solved. 

Dude, you are KILLING me!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA! 

Just now, jaywalker said:

It's truly sad, ain't it El G, that precious few people will even call it LOS anymore?

I know I can't bring myself to do it.

Sometimes I wonder if it just me or am I becoming bitter as I age. My dislike list is growing longer by the day. My sainted old grandmother told me not to hate people and I try to live by that. The down side of retirement is that I know get to learn and study politics and realize its been a shitty effort for decades. Disgusting.