1 Day Overstay - What to do?

18 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

ONLY IF the person is arrested.  Sort of unlikely.  And even then, I actually very much doubt the 5-yr ban would be imposed unless there were other problems.  All he has to do is make it to the airport and he might not even have to pay the 500B/d fine.

Might not..maybe not....what's the problem to apply for an extension for 1,900 baht and all is fine, without a fine? 

Would they charge 500 baht for one day, overstay and put a stamp in his passport, it's the safest way to go. Simon says............:stoner:

Edited by ajarngreg

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

Technically you're correct. However, under Immigration's own rules, someone must be prosecuted in a court of law before they can be banned for overstays of 1 day (up to 1 year) if arrested.

I don't believe for one minute that immigration would waste time and money sending someone through the legal system that was caught on the way to the airport.

But what would be if you come to the wrong Immigration officer? A police officer who hates foreigners.

Let's say Immigration officer Somchai had a very bad day and foreigner Harold took the woman away he wanted to have as a Mia Noi. Then the disaster is foreseeable. 

Why not going the best way by the law? 

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this:

I just checked the amount of days from the date of entry to the day of my departure flight and it is in fact 60 days! (20/01/17 - 21/03/17)

It appears that the immigration agent at entry must have got confused with the short month of February or something else and stamped the wrong 'admitted until date' which gives me only 59 days.

So, the situation is that I have a 60 day TV but I was only given 59 days which makes me illegal on my last day in Thailand.

Where do I stand on this if I do get pulled up about it when I leave tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

An update to this:

I just checked the amount of days from the date of entry to the day of my departure flight and it is in fact 60 days! (20/01/17 - 21/03/17)

It appears that the immigration agent at entry must have got confused with the short month of February or something else and stamped the wrong 'admitted until date' which gives me only 59 days.

So, the situation is that I have a 60 day TV but I was only given 59 days which makes me illegal on my last day in Thailand.

Where do I stand on this if I do get pulled up about it when I leave tomorrow?

Today is 60 days since the date of entry is day one of the 60 days.

If stopped before getting to the airport they would not be a problem if you a ticket to show that you are leaving from the country tomorrow.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined for one day of overstay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

An update to this:

If you entered on Jan 20th (day 1) and were given permission to stay until March 20th (day 60) the immigration officer stamped you in correctly for 60 days.

• Like 1

Just an update.....

I left Thailand through Suvarnabhumi airport. Going through passport control on the way out I chose a line with a female immigration agent because I thought she might let me off with the overstay because I am so handsome. Alas, she sent to see the important looking geezer sitting at the desk behind

He didn't say a word, just stamped my passport with the 'less than 24 hour' overstay stamp and sent me on my way. No fine. I asked him if the stamp could cause me problems in the future if I decide to return to Thailand......... 'no probrem' was his answer.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 0:35 PM, NiceGuyEddy said:

Just an update.....

I left Thailand through Suvarnabhumi airport. Going through passport control on the way out I chose a line with a female immigration agent because I thought she might let me off with the overstay because I am so handsome. Alas, she sent to see the important looking geezer sitting at the desk behind

He didn't say a word, just stamped my passport with the 'less than 24 hour' overstay stamp and sent me on my way. No fine. I asked him if the stamp could cause me problems in the future if I decide to return to Thailand......... 'no probrem' was his answer.

Congrats and a nice stay. 

• Like 1

Just an update.....

The typical outcome to this kind of situation that all but the scaremongers here were predicting. Am glad, but not surprised it worked out for you.
  • Like 1