1 Day Overstay - What to do?

You could get a 30 day extension at immigration for 1,900 baht, however, your situation is common and immigration, at the Bangkok airports, do not charge for 1 day overstays. They might stamp your passport showing the overstay, but it shouldn't affect you in the future.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Cross the border a week before your visa expires and return a day later with a new 15 day stamp.

1. A border crossing now gives a 30 day visa exempt entry for all eligible nationalities
  2. It is usually just as expensive and more hassle than an extension.

A stated, the one-day overstay when flying out is no big deal.

• Like 2

Would advise to get the extension...

As the new regulations for blacklisting those who overstay...

Not worth it at all... Why risk it... would pay the 1,900 Thb for extension

In case of aliens surrendering to the authorities:
Overstay more than 90 days – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

In case of aliens being arrested and prosecuted:
Overstay up to 1 year – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years
Overstay for more than 1 year – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Confirmed-Minors-dodge-overstay-blacklisting/63526

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/02/one-day-overstay-in-thailand-could-mean-a-5-year-ban/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Although the rules technically allow for someone with a 1 day overstay to be prosecuted, there is no way they would arrest and send someone through the legal process that is holding a ticket out of the country dated that day. The worst that is likely to happen is extortion if unlucky enough to be stopped by a corrupt police officer.

Oh, and we know this NEVER happens.  

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

Oh, and we know this NEVER happens.  

While past experience does not guarantee future invulnerability, it is a fact that Western tourists being subjected to random stops and shaken down for bribes for one-day overstay is extremely rare (it is several years since I heard of such a case, even at road blocks near borders). The police know that there are much more lucrative schemes available to them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

While past experience does not guarantee future invulnerability, it is a fact that Western tourists being subjected to random stops and shaken down for bribes for one-day overstay is extremely rare (it is several years since I heard of such a case, even at road blocks near borders). The police know that there are much more lucrative schemes available to them.

I'm not sure who puts out the index, but the rating of most corrupt countries in Asia had Philipines as #1 and Thailand as #2.  You'll have to excuse me if I don't break out my tap shoes and dance to the non-existent beat of the virtuousness of the local constabulary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I'm not sure who puts out the index, but the rating of most corrupt countries in Asia had Philipines as #1 and Thailand as #2.  You'll have to excuse me if I don't break out my tap shoes and dance to the non-existent beat of the virtuousness of the local constabulary.

I am not sure I agree with that ranking. There is a lot of competition! However, I agree the corruption in Thailand is pretty bad. The question is which forms of corruption are most profitable for those involved. Randomly checking Western tourists to see if you can find one on overstay would be time consuming,  invite attention, and not worth enough when someone is caught to be worthwhile. It would be worth checking if someone is stopped for other reasons, but not otherwise. Following smokers to fine them for littering, and fining people for real or imagined traffic offences has a better payoff for lower level officers. Working with motorcycle taxis to entrap people for drug offences is much more lucrative for mid level officers.

30 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And, why did it cost you 500 Bath fine? 1 day overstay is no fine?

Only at the 2 airports in Bangkok. At other airports they would likely collect the fine. At border crossing there is no waiver of the fine for one day of overstay.

• Like 2

This happened to me last month, one day overstay. I left Thailand at Don muaeng airport. Immigration lady giggled and said overstay. I was lead off to the overstay area, not even was given a chance to go into the overstay room. Was given passport back after about 30seconds wait and told to carry on. It was stamped with a 1 day amesty and no fine.
And I was allowed to reenter Thailand 10 days later with tourist visa.

Sent from my Le X820 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only at the 2 airports in Bangkok. At other airports they would likely collect the fine. At border crossing there is no waiver of the fine for one day of overstay.

Ok, didn´t know that! On the other hand I am not an overstaying guy. :smile:

Two days ago I paid for 7 days overstay and also got a 30 day extension on my tourist visa stay from CW immigration in Bangkok.

Just pay if they ask the required overstay fee, one day is usually ignored anyhow.

They may put a note in your passport that you had a day overstay, but it will not affect your later entries to Thailand.

Just for info, a 60 day tourist visa can be extended at your local immigration office for another 30 days by paying a 1900 fee if you want to do that.

Note

The immigration officer was prepared to give me a lecture about my  overstay on my 60 day tourist visa, but when I agreed to pay the fine she just agreed to let me pay with no lecture.

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment

13 hours ago, CWMcMurray said:

Would advise to get the extension...

As the new regulations for blacklisting those who overstay...

Not worth it at all... Why risk it... would pay the 1,900 Thb for extension

In case of aliens surrendering to the authorities:
Overstay more than 90 days – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

In case of aliens being arrested and prosecuted:
Overstay for more than 1 year – forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Confirmed-Minors-dodge-overstay-blacklisting/63526

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/02/one-day-overstay-in-thailand-could-mean-a-5-year-ban/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

with 1 day overstay you not risk anything, just pay 500 Baht, if you have to pay, there are hundrets every day on some days overstay at the airport and land border

Flame removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

17 hours ago, perigeaux said:

Yes they will notice but don,t worry cost me 500 bhat fine 

On  a good  day ,  you will get away with one day overstay . 

Smile and  be polite ,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

with 1 day overstay you not risk anything, just pay 500 Baht, if you have to pay, there are hundrets every day on some days overstay at the airport and land border

Technically you are wrong

That's 1 day to 1 year. 

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

That's 1 day to 1 year. 

Technically you're correct. However, under Immigration's own rules, someone must be prosecuted in a court of law before they can be banned for overstays of 1 day (up to 1 year) if arrested.

I don't believe for one minute that immigration would waste time and money sending someone through the legal system that was caught on the way to the airport.

Edited by elviajero

5 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

That's 1 day to 1 year. 

ONLY IF the person is arrested.  Sort of unlikely.  And even then, I actually very much doubt the 5-yr ban would be imposed unless there were other problems.  All he has to do is make it to the airport and he might not even have to pay the 500B/d fine.

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

Technically, you are correct, but I would be much more concerned about the risk of being struck by lightning on my next trip to the 7-11.

Technically  speaking,  if  it is raining on the the day you visit 7-11 , 

you are likely to get wet .  Take care out there . 

Edited by elliss