The Exonerated

bhatmasterson

Last evening I had the privledge of attending a preview performance of this highly acclaimed stage play and want to help get the word out. The Gate Theater Group has put togeteher another riveting drama in their staging of The Exonerated. The play is made from interviews, letters, transcripts, case files and the public record and tells the true stories of six wrongfully convicted survivors of death row in their own words. The play runs ninety-minute and moves between first-person monologues and scenes set in courtrooms and prisons. The six interwoven stories paint a picture of an American criminal justice system gone horribly wrong—and of six brave souls who persevered to survive it.

I highly recommend this production, especially to anyone who is on the fence in regards to the overall fairness of the death penalty. 

The show opens tonight with additional performances on Friday & Saturday at 7:00 pm. Sunday at 2:00 pm. Tickets are 300 baht in advance and 350 at the door. Last night I was told that tonight's performance was nearly sold out.

I have a poster but it's too big for my scanner. I'll try to find one online and post it later.

Terrific upgrade to a hugely popular readers' theater piece. This fully-staged version alternates between powerful, intimate monologues and scenes involving family members, police officers and court officials. Director/Scenic Designer Stephen Turner's  stark set allows the actors' performances take the forefront. 

Too many good performances to list here, but the cast successfully communicates the losses, hopes, fears and tragedies associated with a disfunctional, racist and failed American judicial system.

Highly recommended.