4 Questions on Retirement Extension Process

Hi All,

I received my first “Retirement Visa” (I know it’s not the proper term, but we all know what I am talking about) last year and it expires on June 1, 2017. Therefore, I am looking over all the forums on the topic of retirement extensions to make sure I am ready. I think I made myself more confused, plus we all know how fast things can change here. 

FYI: I have the same passport (USA), plenty of pages/time, same address, have not left the country, long-term lease verified last year, income verification from the American embassy and will be doing this at Hua Hin immigration.

When I applied last year I was within 15 days of my other visa expiring, so I had to change visas, wait a couple months, apply …  I don’t remember it all, only that it took 4.5 months. Anyway, I am trying to avoid mistakes like this as much as possible this time, so I have a few questions:

1) What is the time frame I need to apply in? I see people taking about at least 45 days, inside 45 days… Or can I go a week before?…

2) I saw one person mention a health certificate. Is this a new requirement?

3) I saw a forum about a second place I need to go in BKK to have my USA income funds verification verified (MFL?, FLM…?) by a Thai office…, what the…?

4) Is this another multi week/multi month process even if everything is in order, or how long does it generally take? 

I live in Bang Saphan so I have to take the train or bus up to Hua Hin (or Bangkok) for each step. It makes for some long days and a lot of dog care costs. Any advise to help me avoid bumps in the process is appreciated.  

Cheers!

Nola

1. You up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices. You can do it up to the last day if you want to there is no minimum.

2. Not required

3. I have seen no resent posts of Hua Hin immigration wanting that. Best to check with them to confirm if they still want it.

4. You will get your extension stamp done on the same day you do the application.

The only thing that can differ from the above answer would be, that you really have your income letter verified with the required stamp. Otherwise all should be ok.

Excuse my ignorance but can you elaborate on what an "income letter" is and verified by whom?
Is this a letter from your employer or pension supplier?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Excuse my ignorance but can you elaborate on what an "income letter" is and verified by whom?
Is this a letter from your employer or pension supplier?
Thanks

It is an income letter from your embassy to prove your income when you apply for an extension of stay.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Get Real said:

The only thing that can differ from the above answer would be, that you really have your income letter verified with the required stamp.

They already have an income affidavit from the US embassy. I already mentioned  checking with Hue Hin immigration to find out if they still want the signature on it verified by the department of consular affairs in Bangkok.

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is an income letter from your embassy to prove your income when you apply for an extension of stay.

And it also have to be verified by a stamp. Bacically same like a notary stamp, but you get it from your embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

And it also have to be verified by a stamp. Bacically same like a notary stamp, but you get it from your embassy or consulate.

Many thanks. I'm in the process of gathering documents for a long term O-A but already thinking ahead so all good information thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

Great info. Thanks everyone. Nice to wake up to some good news and I appreciate all the answers.

One final clarification: Is the 'consular affairs in Bangkok' a second place I go with my notarized income verification letter from the US consulate for another stamp? If yes, does anyone know if that is a a hour or 1 day process or...?

Thanks!

Nola

38 minutes ago, NolaK said:

One final clarification: Is the 'consular affairs in Bangkok' a second place I go with my notarized income verification letter from the US consulate for another stamp? If yes, does anyone know if that is a a hour or 1 day process or...?

It can be just one trip to the department of consular affairs to pay the fee and postage to have the certified affidavit sent back to you by EMS.

A flow chart of the process is here with fees and opening hours is here (click on the chart to enlarge). http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html

Google Map for Department of Consular Affairs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NolaK said:

Great info. Thanks everyone. Nice to wake up to some good news and I appreciate all the answers.

Thanks!

Nola

Once you have received your notorized Letter of Income from your Embassy/Consulate it becomes just one of the other forms you'll need to receive your annual extension.

There is one thing regarding getting your letter (and this stipulation differs by country). The Embassy notary will need actual proof the income amount. For instance, I'm Canadian and my Embassy in Bangkok will not grant my letter without government proof (I use my latest tax return which has always been acceptable).

I have heard that the US Embassy does NOT ask for government proof so in theory you could give them any old figure ... but I would advice anyone NOT to lie about the amount.

But its a good thing to check with your Embassy (especially since this is your first go-around) regarding their rule on this.

Hope this helps and good luck

32 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Do people on a pension have to prove it every year, in spite of the proof being seen as deposits into their account?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The income proof from the embassy has to be submitted ever year and cannot be more than 6 months old. That is the only proof immigration will accept.

I have been doing retirement 1 year extensions since 2005. At Pattaya then at Rayong. I have used the notarized income affidavit from the US Embassy every time. Thai Immigration has never asked me to prove the stated income on the affidavit in all these years. But they certainly have a right to ask for proof and I had better be prepared to show that proof or risk a problem.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, nongkhai said:

Once you have received your notorized Letter of Income from your Embassy/Consulate it becomes just one of the other forms you'll need to receive your annual extension.

There is one thing regarding getting your letter (and this stipulation differs by country). The Embassy notary will need actual proof the income amount. For instance, I'm Canadian and my Embassy in Bangkok will not grant my letter without government proof (I use my latest tax return which has always been acceptable).

I have heard that the US Embassy does NOT ask for government proof so in theory you could give them any old figure ... but I would advice anyone NOT to lie about the amount.

But its a good thing to check with your Embassy (especially since this is your first go-around) regarding their rule on this.

Hope this helps and good luck

Thank you. Yes, I understand my consulate requirement as I did this last year. In the interim, however, there was a time when Thailand then required a trip to someplace else in BKK to then get that noterized letter.... stamped or something by Thailand before going to immigrations. This is what I was trying to confrirm. 

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

in regards the US  letter of income via the counselor outreach.

you now need purchase a bank draft for 1,800 baht ($50@36/) .  they no longer accept US$ or Thai baht

You have to check what rate the embassy is using at the time of the outreach. The rate used is subject to change.

Another warning is to buy the bank draft it in the exact amount needed. Do not ask for one equal to $50 on the date you get it. Lots of people at the recent outreach in Khon Kaen were turned away for not having the exact amount. Also for the spelling on the pay to on the draft not being exactly "American Embassy Bangkok".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, longball53098 said:

I have been doing retirement 1 year extensions since 2005. At Pattaya then at Rayong. I have used the notarized income affidavit from the US Embassy every time. Thai Immigration has never asked me to prove the stated income on the affidavit in all these years. But they certainly have a right to ask for proof and I had better be prepared to show that proof or risk a problem.

It's not Thai Immigration that will need proof of the Embassy income letter. Thai Imm will accept a notarized income letter from your Embassy, no  questions asked.

It's the Embassy itself that will ask for proof of income.

On the other hand, it's only certain countries Embassy's which demand proof-of-income. For instance, the US Embassy takes you at your word regarding annual income, no proof needed . . . but if you are Canadian (as an example) you WILL have to show proof of income in order to receive a notarized letter.

That's why I suggested in my post 

Edited by nongkhai

• 3 weeks later...

As I said before, a couple times, I was not asking about the embassy verification. 

"Yes, I understand my consulate requirement as I did this last year. In the interim, however, there was a time when Thailand then required a trip to someplace else in BKK to then get that noterized letter.... stamped or something by Thailand before going to immigrations. This is what I was trying to confrirm. "

For others who are also curious about the OTHER documentation done in BKK, I have been told this second set of paperwork done at a THIA  (not the embassy) govenment office is only required for people getting their retirement visa for the first time, not by those of use doing a renewal. As I can't get an on topic answer, I will be testing this in 3 weeks when I do my renewal and I will post my results for others.