Wire/cable colour code and ground info please

ThaidaGwaii

This PEA document will help with a lot of stuff http://crossy.co.uk/Handy Files/groundwire.pdf

Single phase colour are the same as US NEC, Live - black, Neutral - white/grey, earth - green.

I've not seen a standard colour code for 3-phase, assume the white wire is neutral.

Neutral - Earth link is required in the distribution board, similar implementation as in the US, the PEA document linked above shows how it is expected to be done (if you buy a distribution board here the instructions will show the same). Thailand is (at least in theory) TN-C-S with MEN same as Aus and similar to the UK TN-C-S with PME although a lot of places are still TT.

Important Note - Thailand is 3-phase 4-wire, star (Y) connected transformer with the star point (neutral) grounded at the transformer. So for a 220V L-N voltage it's about 380V phase-phase. A single-phase supply is just 1/3 of a 3-phase supply. None of the rather odd (to the rest of the planet) US style 3-phase.

The sheathed cable that I have bought recently has blue and brown wires and many of the cords attached to appliances also have blue and brow wires.  The blue is live, the brown neural and if it has an earth it is usually green with a yellow stripe.  Thais will use any color that is available and mix and match as they please!

The way I remember it is there are live brown people but not blue ones....when in Thailand there are live black people but not grey ones....but in every case you need to check what is live don't rely on colour.

Opps!  I know that but by the time it took for my brain to control my fingers, the wires got crossed!!  Made a pot of coffee this morning but forgot to put any coffee in the filter.  Old age brain farts are really getting to be a bitch!

Archived