Irrigation Dept to create jobs to deter farmers from growing rice in dry season

rooster59

Irrigation Dept to create jobs to deter farmers from growing rice in dry season

By The Nation

8979eec7706e4a493375d6acca279295.jpeg

THE ROYAL Irrigation Department will spend Bt3.49 billion this year on creating non-farming jobs for farmers during the dry season.

The employment is intended to deter farmers from growing rice outside the farming season, which may subject them to a water shortage and financial losses later. 

The department’s director-general Sanchai Ketworrachai said yesterday that farmers could be hired for the construction of small irrigation projects and removing weeds to better manage water sources. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308630

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-11

'....removing weeds...'

I guess teaching them something much more useful would require much more thought, bring on a headache.

I guess paying then to attend sessions to understand the big picture much more would require much more thought, bring on a headache. 

The director wants to hire farmers to build small irrigration projects and removing weeds so they do not grow rice. I think every farmer who has paddy land is quite adapt at doing both of these tasks as its part of the maintence needed to raise rice when they have enough water. Neither is a non farming job. Another public servant who may be preaching the wrong sermon to the wrong group.

Dig out the reservoirs to make them deeper and more efficient. Clear out the

weeds and garbage from ditches and klongs. Plenty of much needed work

that needs to be done, not just a make-work project.  

12 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Like in the west I think there is a movement afoot to create mega rice farms like the mega hog farms there. Step number one control the acreage Step number two then charge whatever price you desire. 

Good old times, only  the  people with "Na" will have land. Sakdina is alive and well.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

If your not to busy seeing patients send me a translation. Enjoy your posts.

This is a good read:  http://www.thai-blogs.com/2009/03/11/last-bastion-of-the-orient/

Sakdina literally translates to Field (Na) Power (Sakdi) and is often referred to as Thai Feudalism. One part of Sakdina often over emphasized is the land rights associated with it.