U-Tapao Airport Parking

ftpjtm

We are taking a 4 day trip out of U-Tapao next week. Does anyone know what the parking situation is for private cars? 

Available? 

Covered? 

Secure? 

Conveniently located? 

Cost? 

Went earlier this month, 140 a day, the car park is under military guard so relatively secure.

There are limited covered parking bays but they are taken on the two weekdays morning (around 4-5AM) I went, managed to find a spot on the edge of the car park.

Granted, the covering aren't that 'covered' it's like one of those back of the Tesco carpark structure, so your car's still exposed to some elements.

on my day back in the evening on Sunday it was even more full than when I left, with cars double parked left and right

On 11/03/2017 at 7:07 PM, digbeth said:

Went earlier this month, 140 a day, the car park is under military guard so relatively secure.

There are limited covered parking bays but they are taken on the two weekdays morning (around 4-5AM) I went, managed to find a spot on the edge of the car park.

Granted, the covering aren't that 'covered' it's like one of those back of the Tesco carpark structure, so your car's still exposed to some elements.

on my day back in the evening on Sunday it was even more full than when I left, with cars double parked left and right

wow - doubled in price since July last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your replies.

Update after our trip. We arrived at U-Tapao for our early afternoon flight. No covered parking spots available, and the lot was pretty full, but we were able to find a spot in the back without double parking. We were lucky enough to find a luggage cart left behind near our car, although there is no designated spot for them to be picked up and dropped off. Very convenient, easy walk to the terminal with the minor aggravation of having to walk in the dastardly Thai sun for a minute or two to get from the back of the lot to the terminal. Hi-So will need to be dropped off curbside while the driver takes care of parking, but self-park works for this farang.

Non eventful travel out and back into U-Tapao, with much less drama than either BKK airport - read much shorter walks and waits for formalities and luggage collection.

The car was waiting for us in one piece, and the fee was 140TB per day. We were charged for 5 days for a 4 day + 4 hour stay, but that's fair enough IMO.

So I would recommend the on site parking, and would use it again. I do hope that they expand it soon though, because once the new terminal is opened I assume there will be more customers and the current lot will surely be overwhelmed with cars.

Edited by ftpjtm

We did a round trip out of U-Tapao about 10 days ago. Made sure I got there 30 minutes earlier than usual to get a nose-in parking spot. No worries with the sun while strolling to the old check-in at 5 AM but the return flight arrivals were discharged at the new terminal and that resulted in a longer, mid-morning walk in the sun to the car park. However, with the Highway 331 upgrade, the sheer convenience of the airport to Pattaya easily trumps the walking, tight parking and higher fees.... for now.

Edited by NanLaew

18 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Thanks all for your replies.

Update after our trip. We arrived at U-Tapao for our early afternoon flight. No covered parking spots available, and the lot was pretty full, but we were able to find a spot in the back without double parking. We were lucky enough to find a luggage cart left behind near our car, although there is no designated spot for them to be picked up and dropped off. Very convenient, easy walk to the terminal with the minor aggravation of having to walk in the dastardly Thai sun for a minute or two to get from the back of the lot to the terminal. Hi-So will need to be dropped off curbside while the driver takes care of parking, but self-park works for this farang.

Non eventful travel out and back into U-Tapao, with much less drama than either BKK airport - read much shorter walks and waits for formalities and luggage collection.

The car was waiting for us in one piece, and the fee was 140TB per day. We were charged for 5 days for a 4 day + 4 hour stay, but that's fair enough IMO.

So I would recommend the on site parking, and would use it again. I do hope that they expand it soon though, because once the new terminal is opened I assume there will be more customers and the current lot will surely be overwhelmed with cars.

Where did you go? I love to use Utapao if I can but if flying international,  immigration can be a complete nightmare, last time there were only 3 desks servicing a flight from KL and another from china at the same time.

Edited by sungod

22 minutes ago, sungod said:

Where did you go? I love to use Utapao if I can but if flying international,  immigration can be a complete nightmare, last time there were only 3 desks servicing a flight from KL and another from china at the same time.

We flew to Macau. There were only three immigration desks opened but ours was the only flight and it was a half full A320. We were through immigration with luggage in hand, standing curbside in 10 minutes. Try that at Suvarnabhumi. 

If 3 immigration desks is the rule, I can believe it can take much, much longer. But I've waited substantially more than an hour at Suvarnabhumi immigration on bad days. I think it's a pretty safe bet to get through U-Tapao faster most times. 

Thx, I hear you, (usually get fast track at Suvanrabhumi as a frequent flyer so not really an issue to me personally). But I like the change of scenery and the quicker car ride to/from Utapao. Out of interest, any idea on how long before the new terminal opens?

I'd like to use it more often,

Edited by sungod

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Out of interest, any idea on how long before the new terminal opens?

I'd like to use it more often,

At one point it was scheduled to open in February 2017. I didn't ask anyone for the new estimate, but I can say that from the outside it looks pretty much ready for business. There were a lot of passenger cars (vs vans or trucks) parked outside which led me to believe that there were inspections going on. So hopefully soon. 

BTW we once arrived on a domestic flight when there was a long queue at Immigration, and there was a bit of mayhem as the ground staff directed us around the international arrivals. I have to assume that the international and domestic arrivals will be better segregated upon opening of the new terminal which would ease that situation. 

Edited by ftpjtm

• 4 months later...

There's been a big increase in parking fees @ U-Tapoa.

Currently 20 Baht per hour for the first 6 hours.

Then 140 Baht  between 7-24 hours - so this is now the daily rate.

Also 200 TBH for a lost ticket.

This implies its cheaper to loose your ticket if parking for more than a few days..!

Rates are shown on the back of parking ticket, as per attachment.

Parking fee U-Tapao.JPG

1 hour ago, Peter OS said:

There's been a big increase in parking fees @ U-Tapoa.

Currently 20 Baht per hour for the first 6 hours.

Then 140 Baht  between 7-24 hours - so this is now the daily rate.

Also 200 TBH for a lost ticket.

This implies its cheaper to loose your ticket if parking for more than a few days..!

Rates are shown on the back of parking ticket, as per attachment.

Parking fee U-Tapao.JPG

Still about 8 times cheaper than the standard taxi rate for the average day tripper.

Could probably jet away for a dirty long weekend up in Isaan, leave the car at the airport and still beat the taxi fare.

Edited by NanLaew

On 13/03/2017 at 6:51 PM, Nice Boyd said:

A friend of mine took taxi from Prantamak Hill to airport 1200baht, ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

UBER has a fixed rate of 600 Baht to U-Tapao, as of April 2017 when I last used it.

No need to feed the transport Mafia

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

I'm out of the country at the moment, has the new terminal opened yet? Is there additional parking at/for the new terminal? 

Last time I passed through about 3 months ago, the new terminal was open for overflow arrivals only with all check-in still at the old terminal.

The walk from the new terminal to existing parking is longer so no, there was no new parking available then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...