Best small car for around 2 million baht

I'm looking to but a second car. Something small and with a bit of life in it.

I test drove a 118i the other day and the M Sport version is 1.9m. Overall I wasnt impressed. Performance wasnt great so the stiff suspension goes to waste. They dont sell the 125i here, so it doesnt look like there's much chance of a 2.0 one. On the bright side I could get 2 bikes in the back with the rear seats down.

Anyway - now I'm looking around to see what else I can get for 2-2.5M thb. Looking at Subaru brz or wrz, Golf GTI etc.

I want something that'll put a smile on my face when I drive it!

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that - I was looking at the price of the Scirocco and Golf GTi and thinking I could get the CLA 250 AMG or GLA 250 AMG for the same price.

But then again - neither of those are small cars. 

I drove the 118i and it was slower than my 528i - which does 0-100 in 6,7 seconds. I do want a smaller car but bottom line is it's gotta be faster than the behemoth I currently drive.  For some reason BMW don't sell the 2.0 1 series here. So it's a bit of a disappointment.

BMW 118i M Sport is 1.9M and does 0-100 in 8.7 seconds.... uuuggggggggggh

The Subaru BRZ is 2.2M - and does 0-100 in 6.2 seconds

The Subaru WRX STI is 3.4M and does 0-100 in 4.7 seconds - but really 3.4 million - I could buy another 5 series near enough...

CLA 250 AMG Dynamic is 2.5M and does 0-100 in 6.5 seconds 

GLA 250 AMG Dynamic is 2.4M and does about the same

The Scirocco I think is about 2.4M and about 7.4 for 0-100

The more you move away from the CLA 250 in price but not performance, the more it looks like the sensible choice.

Seems to me that if BMW got off their <deleted> and sold the 125i here, they'd make a killing given the competition. 

I guess I better hope something inspiring comes up at the motor show - otherwise it's a test drive of the BRZ and CLA/GLA.

Might as well buy a Vios with this line up...

Edited by Dagnabbit

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

Funny that - I was looking at the price of the Scirocco and Golf GTi and thinking I could get the CLA 250 AMG or GLA 250 AMG for the same price.

But then again - neither of those are small cars. 

I drove the 118i and it was slower than my 528i - which does 0-100 in 6,7 seconds. I do want a smaller car but bottom line is it's gotta be faster than the behemoth I currently drive.  For some reason BMW don't sell the 2.0 1 series here. So it's a bit of a disappointment.

BMW 118i M Sport is 1.9M and does 0-100 in 8.7 seconds.... uuuggggggggggh

The Subaru BRZ is 2.2M - and does 0-100 in 6.2 seconds

The Subaru WRX STI is 3.4M and does 0-100 in 4.7 seconds - but really 3.4 million - I could buy another 5 series near enough...

CLA 250 AMG Dynamic is 2.5M and does 0-100 in 6.5 seconds 

GLA 250 AMG Dynamic is 2.4M and does about the same

The Scirocco I think is about 2.4M and about 7.4 for 0-100

The more you move away from the CLA 250 in price but not performance, the more it looks like the sensible choice.

Seems to me that if BMW got off their <deleted> and sold the 125i here, they'd make a killing given the competition. 

I guess I better hope something inspiring comes up at the motor show - otherwise it's a test drive of the BRZ and CLA/GLA.

Might as well buy a Vios with this line up...

and  the  Vios  would be  more  reliable......how  much are the mini cooper s's here

Edited by kannot

Can find a newish used Golf GTi or Scirocco for under 2 mil. Or for something a little quicker a series 2 Audi TTS, again under 2mil.

Check out some of the Thai language sports car for sale groups on Facebook or Thai car sites like one2car dot com or kaidee dot com

OK, yeah and OFF TOPIC, but why folks spend so much on a rapidly declining resale value car is totally beyond me.  Sure, if bags of cash, big monthly income and beneficiary of trust fund, 2mil baht for a car might be OK.  

I guess it's all about FACE.  What's my exterior projection to the world?  Rich big shot; must be if in high value car!

3 minutes ago, jobin said:

OK, yeah and OFF TOPIC, but why folks spend so much on a rapidly declining resale value car is totally beyond me.  Sure, if bags of cash, big monthly income and beneficiary of trust fund, 2mil baht for a car might be OK.  

I guess it's all about FACE.  What's my exterior projection to the world?  Rich big shot; must be if in high value car!

Ok, yeah and also OFF TOPIC, but why folks with no money get all riled up about how wealthier people spend their money is beyond me.  Sure, if no cash, a tiny monthly income and no clue how to make more, using the bus might be OK.

I guess it's about FACE, how to preserve it when you know you didn't quite make it as far as you thought you would in life. 

1 minute ago, Dagnabbit said:

Ok, yeah and also OFF TOPIC, but why folks with no money get all riled up about how wealthier people spend their money is beyond me.  Sure, if no cash, a tiny monthly income and no clue how to make more, using the bus might be OK.

I guess it's about FACE, how to preserve it when you know you didn't quite make it as far as you thought you would in life. 

Definitely off topic......:sad:

3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

When U got the Money U dont need Face. Or Tinted Windows.:drunk:

I recommend getting a 2nd hand Pre LCI 116i - still within warranty and BSI. You can get them around 1.1 million. The 1.6 Banger is one of the most tunable engines, and can reach 220hp with just a remap, similar to a 125i :)

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/5-bmw/508-1-serie/3855-f2x-2011-2015/3954-116i/

I have this car, and it's a really fun car. If you like it stiffer, you can change to eg. KW Street Comfort, and M-brakes is a nice addon for about 90,000. Other stuff like navigation etc is easy to retrofit. If you get the 2013, 2014, the car came as CBU with Alcantara interior, but less options, then later arrived as CKD, with leather interior and a few extra options. 

Here is a small "video review" from my tune: 

My friend bought himself a Z4, and when he realized my 116i was faster, he went and bought one for himself :-D

Edited by mortenaa

1 minute ago, jobin said:

That LCI116i, it's a 3 cylinder?

I had a 5 cylinder Peugeot years ago.  A true novelty.  Had also a chain drive SAAB, a super car.

Yes it is. Pre LCI is a 4 cylinder, developed in co-relation with PSA.

2 hours ago, mortenaa said:

I recommend getting a 2nd hand Pre LCI 116i - still within warranty and BSI. You can get them around 1.1 million. The 1.6 Banger is one of the most tunable engines, and can reach 220hp with just a remap, similar to a 125i :)

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/5-bmw/508-1-serie/3855-f2x-2011-2015/3954-116i/

I have this car, and it's a really fun car. If you like it stiffer, you can change to eg. KW Street Comfort, and M-brakes is a nice addon for about 90,000. Other stuff like navigation etc is easy to retrofit. If you get the 2013, 2014, the car came as CBU with Alcantara interior, but less options, then later arrived as CKD, with leather interior and a few extra options. 

Here is a small "video review" from my tune: 

My friend bought himself a Z4, and when he realized my 116i was faster, he went and bought one for himself :-D

Surely if you remap it - you lose the warranty right?

But basically - he managed an 8 second 0-100 - which isn't very fast at all. 6 seconds, then it'd be interesting

Edited by Dagnabbit

1 minute ago, mortenaa said:

From personal experience (incl friends), warranty is no problem.

Thanks - was looking at the Hartge upgrade for my 528i - takes it up to 290hp.

Might do that and get the wife a tuk tuk.

Edited by Dagnabbit

1 hour ago, mortenaa said:

Bring it to Autowerks BKK. Cheaper ;)

Might be cheaper - but the car cost me $130,000 - I would much rather pay $2k for a Hartge chip knowing that I am buying from a company that works with BMW.... 

9 hours ago, jobin said:

Some of us have the choice and enjoy spending some cash on ourselves. You want to drive a cheap car ? Go ahead. I don't play golf, watch football or spend cash on other hobbies. My interest is cars and I have some spare cash so enjoy something different. Each to their own, doesn't mean I'm mad or don't understand the economics.. I can afford it. 

17 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Only interested in buying something new Pdaz...

In that case there is very little available unless you buy a base model and modify it.

But as you have said already the models here don't really lend themselves much beyond a remap, downpipe, intake and some suspension work.

Went to my local Subaru dealer today - Srinakarin.

"you got the BRZ?" 

"mai mee"

"OK, can I have a look at the WRX?"

"mai mee"

Not only did that dealer claim he didn't have any to show - he claimed none of the other Bangkok dealers did anyway. "have to import" he said...  Even though both cars are on the Subaru Thailand site...

Bit of a leap of faith importing a car you've never driven...

4 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Went to my local Subaru dealer today - Srinakarin.

"you got the BRZ?" 

"mai mee"

"OK, can I have a look at the WRX?"

"mai mee"

Not only did that dealer claim he didn't have any to show - he claimed none of the other Bangkok dealers did anyway. "have to import" he said...  Even though both cars are on the Subaru Thailand site...

Bit of a leap of faith importing a car you've never driven...

The BRZ's were about last year. I called around and eventually arranged to test drive one at Subaru Bang Na. This was after they announced the price reduction from 2.8 mil down to 2 mil. As for the WRX, I wouldn't hold your breath. Amazing as it seems to us Westerners dealers here just don't seem have demo vehicles of their top model cars.

Crazy really. Especially as it's the premium models that are usually used to promote their brand.

Even Mercedes and BMW struggle to provide a high end model for you to look at, let alone test drive. Wait till you decide to buy and start asking questions about the specs :whistling:  That can be hilarious :(

I did all my test driving and checking at UK BMW and Merc dealers as nobody seemed to be able to provide the answers I wanted here. 

Considering the costs involved, service and product knowledge is pretty poor.

When they don't even have the models on display at motor shows you know it's bad. Best bet is to visit some of the grey importers or higher end secondhand dealers in BKK. They are more likely to have a late model available to at least sit in.

Better than just buying blind.

Can't imagine what it's like to be a wealthy Thai fella who wants to spend 14-15mil Baht on an AMG GTS or BMW M4. Do they buy on faith without even a test drive ?

Or just buy whatever is available without choosing the spec to suit their style.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

The BRZ's were about last year. I called around and eventually arranged to test drive one at Subaru Bang Na. This was after they announced the price reduction from 2.8 mil down to 2 mil. As for the WRX, I wouldn't hold your breath. Amazing as it seems to us Westerners dealers here just don't seem have demo vehicles of their top model cars.

Crazy really. Especially as it's the premium models that are usually used to promote their brand.

Even Mercedes and BMW struggle to provide a high end model for you to look at, let alone test drive. Wait till you decide to buy and start asking questions about the specs :whistling:  That can be hilarious :(

I did all my test driving and checking at UK BMW and Merc dealers as nobody seemed to be able to provide the answers I wanted here. 

Considering the costs involved, service and product knowledge is pretty poor.

When they don't even have the models on display at motor shows you know it's bad. Best bet is to visit some of the grey importers or higher end secondhand dealers in BKK. They are more likely to have a late model available to at least sit in.

Better than just buying blind.

Can't imagine what it's like to be a wealthy Thai fella who wants to spend 14-15mil Baht on an AMG GTS or BMW M4. Do they buy on faith without even a test drive ?

Or just buy whatever is available without choosing the spec to suit their style.

Think with local folk it's the "badge" that's important...:smile:

Yep.. They seem to like to buy the biggest Merc or BMW but fitted with the smallest engine available.. Must be like driving an underpowered boat.

Edited by Pdaz
Typo

40 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Yep.. They seem to like to buy the biggest Merc or BMW but fitted with the smallest engine available.. Must be like driving an underpowered boat.

Yet, they live in a bedsit....lol...see their priorities clearly! 555