Best small car for around 2 million baht

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Actually, the imported version was made in Hungary (thanks to Googun I can state confidently at MB's Kecskemét plant). I looked at a CLA just before they started manufacturing it here, and the dealer was trying to tell me that it was worth the extra 300K because it was made in Germany. When I said that it was made in Hungary, they changed tack and said it was, "but to German standards". 

CLA Hungary, GLA in Germany. It is quite confusing with all the different Mercedes versions nowadays

Wikepedia reference "Production of the GLA-Class commenced in December 2013 at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt plant in Germany.[14]"

^ "Product offensive continues: Mercedes-Benz GLA: Start of Production at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant". Mercedes-Benz. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2014.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I stand corrected. I'll get my coat ... ;)

"The Mercedes-Benz plant Kecskemét is part of the compact-car production network within the global Mercedes-Benz Cars production compound. In addition to Kecskemét, the compact-car network includes the lead plant in Rastatt (Germany) and BBAC in Beijing (China), where the GLA compact SUV is produced for the Chinese market. Furthermore, Mercedes-Benz Cars uses the Finnish contract manufacturer Valmet Automotive to produce additional A-Class models. The Mercedes-Benz plant in Kecskemét flexibly produces three of the five models of the current compact car generation (B-Class, CLA, and CLA Shooting Brake) on a single assembly line. The CLA and the CLA Shooting Brake are exclusively produced for the global market."

https://www.daimler.com/career/job-search/locations/detail-pages/location-detail-page-5058.html

On 30/3/2017 at 2:06 AM, Dagnabbit said:

6 - Yes - GPS is another 20k - but it's quite well stocked, so I took it 'as is'

Hello Dagnabbit

Any feedback - positive as negative for your first few days with the new MB GLA250 AMG?

Regarding options - do you by any chance have the complete list of possible add ons incl. prices (THB) for the MB GLA?
I'm particular interested if it is possible to add Blind Spot Assist - and if yes how much the cost.

Does your GLA250 has "hugging seat belts"?  - i.e. the tightening of the seat belt when you start the engine.

Best Regards

Namlakhorn

8 hours ago, namlakhorn said:

Hello Dagnabbit

Any feedback - positive as negative for your first few days with the new MB GLA250 AMG?

Regarding options - do you by any chance have the complete list of possible add ons incl. prices (THB) for the MB GLA?
I'm particular interested if it is possible to add Blind Spot Assist - and if yes how much the cost.

Does your GLA250 has "hugging seat belts"?  - i.e. the tightening of the seat belt when you start the engine.

Best Regards

Namlakhorn

First impressions are good. Like any new car, it takes some getting used to. As my main car is a 528i, I am going from rear wheel drive to front, a shorter wheelbase and a car that rides higher. So it's a very different beast.

I found a fair amount of wheel spin when putting your foot down, even when warm & with traction control on. My foot seems to have acclimatized now, so that's fine.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. It certainly has enough power for a FWD. I'm getting used to the handling too. It's a fun car to drive. It's nice & quiet, smooth ride, good visibility. 

I didn't ask for any add-ons, not even the sat-nav. It doesn't have the hugging seat belts.

It was the right choice - the tiny engines that are coming out in the other small cars are just gutless (I mean, really Honda - a 1.5l turbo???) and I'd never have been happy with one. So in my opinion, it was the best small car available in Thailand for me, in that price range.

5 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

It was the right choice - the tiny engines that are coming out in the other small cars are just gutless (I mean, really Honda - a 1.5l turbo???)

Agree 100%. When motorcycles have more cc than cars it makes you wonder. As the old saying goes - there is no replacement for displacement

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

First impressions are good. Like any new car, it takes some getting used to. As my main car is a 528i, I am going from rear wheel drive to front, a shorter wheelbase and a car that rides higher. So it's a very different beast.

I found a fair amount of wheel spin when putting your foot down, even when warm & with traction control on. My foot seems to have acclimatized now, so that's fine.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. It certainly has enough power for a FWD. I'm getting used to the handling too. It's a fun car to drive. It's nice & quiet, smooth ride, good visibility. 

I didn't ask for any add-ons, not even the sat-nav. It doesn't have the hugging seat belts.

It was the right choice - the tiny engines that are coming out in the other small cars are just gutless (I mean, really Honda - a 1.5l turbo???) and I'd never have been happy with one. So in my opinion, it was the best small car available in Thailand for me, in that price range.

The engine does perform well and can easily push the limits of FWD.

The front suspension design is pretty basic and you can get a good helping of torque steer in the right conditions.

The 4WD system sold elsewhere for the GLA250 would have been nice but probably would hurt the price.

On the plus side the stability control is progressive and still lets you have a bit of fun.

11 hours ago, namlakhorn said:

Hello Dagnabbit

Best Regards

Namlakhorn

Blind spot recognition was not an option on our GLA but would be good, especially for tall drivers.  The B pillar is positioned more forward than many cars and can block over the shoulder visibility.