Russian tourism to Phuket rising sharply

snoop1130

Russian tourism to Phuket rising sharply

Phuket Gazette

1_2017313141441875_LgfEqkOgmVZQBDHBAEpfUGbAGWlRaAAmgfqWQFDC_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Last year, rebounding Russian tourism contributed an estimated 30 billion baht (approximately US$848 million) to Phuket’s economy, according to C9 Hotelworks' latest report on the segment. One clear-cut metric of the attraction of Phuket for Russians is that 51 per cent of the country’s travelers to Thailand now come here. 

Total 2016 Russian passenger arrivals on international flights to Phuket were up by 51 per cent year-on-year. This is substantially higher than the growth of the total market of travelers from Russia to Thailand, which rose by 23 per cent in the same period. A major factor in the uplift was the crash of a Metrojet flight from Sharm El Sheikh to St Petersburg in October 2015. The event resulted in Russian tour operators suspending flights to Egypt and diverting customers to alternative holiday destinations such as Phuket.

Another factor that helped increase the overall number of outbound Russian tourists on a global basis has been the strengthening of the ruble, which began appreciating early last year due to rising oil prices. This leading indicator is expected to continue with the trend in Russia's improving political and economic relationships with their key trading partners.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-tourism-Phuket-rising-sharply/66364?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-3-13

42 minutes ago, Get Real said:

So now the it will soon be invasion in Phuket too. Just waiting for the english to disappear on all the signs.

That's what happened 3-4 years ago, during the first wave of Russian arrivals. In parts of Patong, most of the signs were changed to Russian, only to be changed back to English with the addition of Chinese when the ruble crashed.

As you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see signs changing again from English to Russian and Chinese (and maybe French too) in the near future. 

Not many of the Russians I encounter would spend 5000 baht per head per day, with most living on street food and 7-eleven fare but I'd guess the better off ones at the hotels used by C9 Hotelworks for their statistical analysis would be more likely to reach that level of spending.

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Not many of the Russians I encounter would spend 5000 baht per head per day, with most living on street food and 7-eleven fare but I'd guess the better off ones at the hotels used by C9 Hotelworks for their statistical analysis would be more likely to reach that level of spending.

That's good for the street food vendors and those with market stalls, who are likely to be less than wealthy.

20 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Well I'm in Phuket after a week in Jomtien -here there seems to be a blend of nations/ nationals - in Jomtien it felt like massively dominated by russians - not a loaded comment- more an observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Too True ..

and SEVEN SEAS (Jomtien)  is already looking like a ghetto

with laundry hanging on the balcony railings of this brand new -" up scale" style complex of 1,500 apartments

20 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Well I'm in Phuket after a week in Jomtien -here there seems to be a blend of nations/ nationals - in Jomtien it felt like massively dominated by russians - not a loaded comment- more an observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Too True ..

with laundry hanging on the balcony railings of this brand new -" up scale" style complex of 1,500 apartments

IMG_1356.JPG

15 hours ago, johng said:

Towels aren't to bad wait till the underwear appears.

Oh believe me - I spared you that photo. But indeed the underwear has already been "on display".

Added to that , yesterday my wife looked up from her flowers and was confronted by the site of an overweight woman in her "bra & panties", standing on her balcony. 

When I was called, I could clearly identify an Eastern European language being spoken.  There goes the 'hood .

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, kentrot said:

Too True ..

IMG_1356.JPG

I'm a little confused as to why beach towels hanging on the balcony of a "Condo Resort" in Pattaya has any connection with this thread about "Russian tourism to Phuket rising sharply". Perhaps these Pattaya people should start a thread on their forum.

I know there is an older 2016 thread about Russians in Pattaya, because when I posted on it about a noticeable increase in Russian visitors to Phuket, my post was deleted on the grounds that it was off topic.

On 13/3/2560 at 6:59 PM, DrDave said:

That's what happened 3-4 years ago, during the first wave of Russian arrivals. In parts of Patong, most of the signs were changed to Russian, only to be changed back to English with the addition of Chinese when the ruble crashed.

As you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see signs changing again from English to Russian and Chinese (and maybe French too) in the near future. 

Funny that the French are leaving their country, after letting in all the Syrians. Same as they did in WW2 !

2 hours ago, Blindedbythelight said:

Funny that the French are leaving their country, after letting in all the Syrians. Same as they did in WW2 !

Strangely enough, based on my observations, the overwhelming majority of French-speaking tourists in Phuket are of Arab and African ethnicities. I don't know if most are actually from France, or the some of the French-speaking countries of north and northwest Africa.  Mostly a younger bunch - typically under 30 from what I see.

On 17/3/2560 at 6:08 PM, DrDave said:

Strangely enough, based on my observations, the overwhelming majority of French-speaking tourists in Phuket are of Arab and African ethnicities. I don't know if most are actually from France, or the some of the French-speaking countries of north and northwest Africa.  Mostly a younger bunch - typically under 30 from what I see.

If they are from France and speak Arabic; they may be a terrorists.

On 13.3.2017 at 6:13 PM, Get Real said:

So now the it will soon be invasion in Phuket too. Just waiting for the english to disappear on all the signs.

So time has come to finally learn reading Thai. :whistling:

30 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

So time has come to finally learn reading Thai. :whistling:

Nah, If you ever looked in Pattaya before and sometimes now too. The signs went from english and thai to russian and indian. So reading thai has nothing to do with this, but on the other hand a task already accomplised.