Don't Slip Coming Out Of The Shower

JAS21

Stupid … YES. Now I wipe my feet!

My head hit the skirting board on the way down and I had a cut across my ear. So after having a headache for three days, really no other symptoms, decided that I should have a checkup. Went to Prasat Neurological Hospital, as I went in the morning had quite a long while to wait. Looking back should probably have gone there sooner.

I'm pretty certain that I got up straightaway and didn't stumble immediately either.

Doctor said, you look OK but your symptoms are similar to a problem so you need a CT Scan and as you take Plavix it’s basically a must...I had stopped for the previous two days just in case.

Less than twenty minutes later scan had been done! They then send you to the Emergency Dept for the result.

A doctor arrived about 30 minutes later (lunch time).  He basically said no problem … headache should go eventually … days … weeks … months    But any concerns phone us for advice and re-take the Plavix. Paracetamol does sort of stop it and it's not all the time anyway. Computer does not help I think!

Cost 3100thb for The CT Scan and 50thb for the doctor. If you go to the extra clinics it’s 400thb but queues are small.

Head.JPG

I attach the CT Scan Prices just in case anyone needs ………………………….

Edited by JAS21

After a near slip and fall in my shower,  I purchased 2 rubberized floor mats and laid them in critical bathroom areas.  My bathroom is not well ventilated.  The mats can stay wet on the underside and become smelly within a few days so I must frequently hang them to dry on a towel rack.

Though rather inconvenient,  much better than risking a fall on a slick floor.

I am not sure how well this is known

One of the commonest causes of death of the elderly is as a result of falling around the bathroom

My mother was in hospital and went to the bathroom and fell and broke her leg in reality that was what finished her off at 92, the hospital got very nervous when we asked why she was allowed to go alone

My closest friend died again coming out of the bathroom in the middle of the night, slipping and breaking his leg as well, he was 84

I always try to go slowly at night, when I wake I sit on the side of the bed for a minute before going to the bathroom, in the middle of the night

I have sandstone on the floors of the bathroom, then they say not hygienic, but clean it regularly with bleach

Problem not so much at home as when staying in hotels

I hope the original poster makes a good and speedy recovery, and will I expect learn from this close encounter

I hope the original poster makes a good and speedy recovery, and will I expect learn from this close encounter   .... 

•  .......SO DO I .................Very Close I Think!!

It is true what you say. Actually it was the downstairs shower/toilet room which exits onto basically the large downstairs room, and I was dripping wet ... the floor tiles are a little slippy anyway. Fine in dry bare feet.

I actually posted this to say how Good Prasat Hospital was and to post the price of CT Scans should anyone be unfortunate enough to have need ...

•  

my downfall (excuse the pun) was with oily bug spray on the kitchen floor resulting in a broken leg requiring surgery and hardware...fortunately my wife supervised the bathroom installations in our house and got the textured bathroom floor tiles installed as mentioned by lopburi3 above...but even then there is still a hazard and I also use rubber mats which are a nuisance as they start to stink if not cleaned regularly... 

the first thing I do when encountering an unfamiliar bathroom floor arrangement is to estimate the slip/fall hazard and take appropriate action...except for western style hotels all bathrooms in Thailand are open plan shower stalls with perpetually wet floors...

they don't call it the 'hong naam' fer nothin'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

8 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

my downfall (excuse the pun) was with oily bug spray on the kitchen floor resulting in a broken leg requiring surgery and hardware...fortunately my wife supervised the bathroom installations in our house and got the textured bathroom floor tiles installed as mentioned by lopburi3 above...but even then there is still a hazard and I also use rubber mats which are a nuisance as they start to stink if not cleaned regularly... 

the first thing I do when encountering an unfamiliar bathroom floor arrangement is to estimate the slip/fall hazard and take appropriate action...except for western style hotels all bathrooms in Thailand are open plan shower stalls with perpetually wet floors...

they don't call it the 'hong naam' fer nothin'...

Not really true anymore - believe most modern housing is using shower stalls (as a visit to HomePro would indicate) and glass doors for wet area.  But yes much housing is still of the "hong naam" type.  Our locally built house from 1974 had bathtub (since removed) so even then some homes were getting away from the always wet floor - and we found it easy to build separate shower areas for the 5 showers we have added (still like more space than western shower stalls - although admit the 6th bathroom that had the tub we just added shower curtain and it does a good job of keeping outer area dry without even a threshold as used in others).  

My bathroom is 2,5 mtrs by 2.5 and my wife still gets water everywhere, she can not have a simple quick shower without water everywhere, ad we have good shower curtains

She is like a baby elephant in the shower despite being very small and trim

So if we are at small hotels the whole floor is going to be a slippery mess

10 minutes ago, al007 said:

My bathroom is 2,5 mtrs by 2.5 and my wife still gets water everywhere, she can not have a simple quick shower without water everywhere, ad we have good shower curtains

She is like a baby elephant in the shower despite being very small and trim

So if we are at small hotels the whole floor is going to be a slippery mess

With all your recent expenses perhaps not an option but they now have custom made glass door enclosures available from places like HomePro and as long as she shuts the door it should avoid most outside water.  We had installed and seems to work well.

Of course all great ideas  ... but not much use to the 'silly' person who walked 'dripping wet' out of his enclosed shower, across the 'non-slip' floor tiles and went arse over tit as he stepped onto the living room none non-slip tiles ...

Won't do it again .........

26 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Of course all great ideas  ... but not much use to the 'silly' person who walked 'dripping wet' out of his enclosed shower, across the 'non-slip' floor tiles and went arse over tit as he stepped onto the living room none non-slip tiles ...

All too easy to do, lucky to have the wake up call, it took a couple of deaths for me to become so aware of the potential  problem and risks

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I put a door mat right outside the bathroom door to wipe my feet before I go onto the polished floor tiles as a standard precaution...and uncle tutsi becomes mightily annoyed when small children interfere with the arrangement...