Dhammakaya deputy abbot accused of using temple funds for share trading

webfact

Dhammakaya deputy abbot accused of using temple funds for share trading
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dhammakaya Temple deputy abbot Phra Thatthacheevo used temple funds to trade in stocks according to available evidence, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has alleged.

Pol Pakorn Sucheevakun, who heads the DSI Bureau of Financial and Banking Crime, said on Wednesday that Phra Thattacheevo might be charged with abuse of authority under Article 157 of the Criminal Code because a deputy abbot could be seen as an official. 

“He has used money from the temple’s bank account for buying stocks,” Pakorn said, “There’s clear evidence.”

Phra Thattacheevo is now an acting abbot.

He was elevated to the post after authorities stepped up efforts to bring the temple’s controversial former abbot Phra Dhammachayo to justice. Phra Dhammachayo – wanted for alleged money laundering – was appointed the honorary abbot. 

After becoming the top monk at the Dhammakaya Temple, Phra Thattacheevo has himself faced several legal proceedings. 

Phra Thatthacheevo turned himself in at the Pathum Thani Klong 5 Police Station to hear a charge of resisting a junta order. Phra Dhammachayo, meanwhile, remains at large. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309231

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-16

More and more we learn that this temple is largely run as a business conglomerate

with CEO in saffron robs controlling billions of baht, the very same people who

swore to renounce and abstain from all material and pleasures in life and

devote their life to doing good to fellow man and meditate to attain nirvana,

as it looks now, it's everything else but.....

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

More and more we learn that this temple is largely run as a business conglomerate

more like run as a corrupt business conglomerate

Unbelievable but the further they dig the more corrupt, unlawful activities will be uncovered.

Monks who have supposedly given up material possessions.

That place has just been used  to con people out of money for personal gain by the people running it.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

change the colour of the uniform

and you have another group

In this one case I am on the side of the monastery. If I were financial officer in large organization seems normal to want to get some return on the donations rather than just stuff under a mattress. What is done with the money regarding personal wealth, luxury goods, and all that rather than legit undertakings to benefit followers is another thing altogether. 

Lock them all up and give them Thai version of Monopoly board game my suggestion.

Wow, the amount of time the junta is spending focused on this sect is simply amazing.

In the case of Thai PBS and investments in CP the junta only acted after the public outcry. 

Thai PBS ends controversial CP investment

Thai PBS on Wednesday announced an end of its investment in debentures from Charoen Pokphand Foods and a review of the matter.

The move comes after the public raised concerns over how the investment related to the integrity of pubic broadcaster’s journalism and good governance. 

The announcement, posted on Thai PBS’s website, also stated the matter will soon be submitted to its policy committee for review.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30309161

Edited by mtls2005

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

In this one case I am on the side of the monastery. If I were financial officer in large organization seems normal to want to get some return on the donations rather than just stuff under a mattress. What is done with the money regarding personal wealth, luxury goods, and all that rather than legit undertakings to benefit followers is another thing altogether. 

Lock them all up and give them Thai version of Monopoly board game my suggestion.

Exactly. What is the crime here. Any CFO will do the same with the huge liquidity whether as a corporation, charity organisation or temple. I am sure some of the money goes to government bonds or real estates too. 

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

But the sad thing is.... their followers still send money and gifts and refuse to accept that they have been funding crooks. Blind faith or worse.

The correct descriptor is "stupid" 

What is the crime here.

Thailand has many, many, many, many "laws" which can be widely interpreted and used on an as-needed basis.

And I;m not even talking about Article 44.

There are probably ecclesiastical/monastic laws as well which can be brought to bear.

Look, complaining about the weather in Thailand on a forum could easily lead to at least two criminal charges (sedition, computer crimes).

Finding a "crime", and a law to apply is the least of the challenges.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable but the further they dig the more corrupt, unlawful activities will be uncovered.

That place has just been used  to con people out of money for personal gain by the people running it.

Its like a manure pile the deeper you go the stinkier it gets. They better not go to deep or an odd hi-so name might pop up. 

The junta’s propaganda machine, much of the Thai media, simply repeat what they are told, not asking for proof or fact finding the evidence. His signature or sign-off on temple investments means nothing. 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

You no understaaan. They are the bookingagency for rooms in Nirvana...you pay much you get a better room. You pay vely much, you get room with view.

The bookings/payments are made already and there's no cancellation insurance. 

Business? I would think its the biggest business in this neck of the woods, even CP cannot compete with its turnover, thats why there is one or more every 3 k or so. I bet the pope is even envious of the pay as you go road to heaven sorry I meant nowhere