Villa Markets

55Jay

33 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Do Foodland in Bangkok do frozen pies ,meat pies and chicken pies ?

Nope, not that I can remember. The best source of meat pies is London Pies on Ekamai, just before the Big C Super, which is about 800-900 metres from Suk. However, at this moment, there's an ownership transition going on and stock is low. Best to call. Oh, expensive too. 160 baht a pie. 

53 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Nope, not that I can remember. The best source of meat pies is London Pies on Ekamai, just before the Big C Super, which is about 800-900 metres from Suk. However, at this moment, there's an ownership transition going on and stock is low. Best to call. Oh, expensive too. 160 baht a pie. 

Is there any other places that sells these kind of pies 160 bhat is expensive.

The only reason i still use Villa these days is for the wine. The selection is pretty good, by Bangkok standards. The other advantage they have, from a customer perspective, is that they seem to ignore the 2pm - 5pm no alcohol sale rule.  All the Villa outlets seem to ignore this rule and i have never really understood why they seem able to do this with impunity. By contrast Foodland (or at least the one i use) are rigorous in the imposition of the ban. Do Villa have some sort exemption? 

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

The only reason i still use Villa these days is for the wine. The selection is pretty good, by Bangkok standards. The other advantage they have, from a customer perspective, is that they seem to ignore the 2pm - 5pm no alcohol sale rule.  All the Villa outlets seem to ignore this rule and i have never really understood why they seem able to do this with impunity. By contrast Foodland (or at least the one i use) are rigorous in the imposition of the ban. Do Villa have some sort exemption? 

I believe if you are buying over a certain amount the ban does not apply. From memory the figure is not excessively high, perhaps 4-5,000 baht which if you are buying wine may only be a few bottles or less.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I believe if you are buying over a certain amount the ban does not apply. From memory the figure is not excessively high, perhaps 4-5,000 baht which if you are buying wine may only be a few bottles or less.

There used to be a 10 litre rule but that's no longer in place. 

Any sales outside the prescribed trading hours are against the law. 

21 minutes ago, triplegee said:

There used to be a 10 litre rule but that's no longer in place. 

Any sales outside the prescribed trading hours are against the law. 

Vila sell any amount of booze at any time. The only time I have seen them impose the ban is election day and certain Buddhist holidays.

Just now, MrJohnson said:

Vila sell any amount of booze at any time. The only time I have seen them impose the ban is election day and certain Buddhist holidays.

Like most things - law enforcement tends to ebb & flow in their efforts to enforce these laws. 

Certainly, religious & special days are a lot more high profile when it comes to such matters. 

I think you'll find that the Villa staff will serve based on familiarity with a customer. They won't take the risk with someone they don't know as the penalties are substantial & I am aware of the law having being enforced in recent times. 

Just now, MrJohnson said:

Nope Wrong! I live next to villa soi 11and they imposed the curfew about a year ago,,but it USED to be buy at any time before that.

Milage may vary depending on which Villa though

4 minutes ago, 0U812 said:

Nope Wrong! I live next to villa soi 11and they imposed the curfew about a year ago,,but it USED to be buy at any time before that.

I presume soi 11 may be more strictly covered by law enforcement or the area has a higher proportion of potential reprobates which makes it more likely they are cautious when selling.

9 minutes ago, 0U812 said:

No,, sorry  I was specifically talking about Villa at Soi 11. It is my local and I never had a  problem buying booze there - any time of the day. I'm not trying to be argumentative here but that has been experience.

7 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

No,, sorry  I was specifically talking about Villa at Soi 11. It is my local and I never had a  problem buying booze there - any time of the day. I'm not trying to be argumentative here but that has been experience.

just bought yesterday, at Villa soi 11, 2 bottles of my current favourite sauvignon blanc, time was around 15.00pm.  I am a fairly frequent buyer of wine from that particular Villa, and i have never ever had an issue buying during the curfew.

My first visit to Laksi Villa was during no alcohol sale time.  Didn't see the usual sign posted, so I held up a bottle of wine to the nearby cashier and asked.  She looked at me like it was a dumb question.  Alrighty then!   

No problem buying during prohibition hours during last week's visit either.

• 1 year later...

Archived