Any Good Satellite Dish Deals Around In Bkk?

Dario

Hi everyone,

I've been a customer of UBC for over 10 years now and realize how much I spent for those mediocre programs where commercials are cut into a still picture.

I have taken a bold step today and cancelled UBC effective June 1st. Now, I would like to get a good deal on a satellite installation with a movable dish. I know that prices have come down quite a lot.

Does anyone know about this field and has had good experiences with some product? The only supplier I know as of today is www.thaisat.net.

Any suggestions welcome to

[email protected]

Hello Dario,

I have not used them , but I plan to in a few months. I could not tell you they are good , but they have what you ( I ) am looking for and their cheap. Might have to pay extra for them to travel outside of BKK . Let me know too.

Forward satellite co.

01642-2573

02743-7006

Jeff

Dear Jeff1, dear Monty,

thanks to both of you. Jeff1: I just called Forward Satellite Co., but the girl on the mobile didn't understand English, so my wife talked with her. What they sell, is what everyone else sells: PSI. If you want ALL Thai channels as well (for your wife & kids) they charge you 5,000 Baht extra.

Monty: Yes, that's the biggest one, I now understand. For us, there is just one option and that's a movable 213 cm dish for right now, in promotion at 14,500 Baht. www.thaisat.net is one of their dealers and has a website also in English. Go right here http://www.thaisat.net/productdetail.asp?lang=en&pid=27803.

To thaivisa.com: thanks for a great place to be in contact with the expat falmily!

Thanks to all of you!

Hey folks,

I just got another lead for satellites. Call Khun Tarini at 02 992-7302. She speaks English (don't talk too fast), and has a shop at Zeer Rangsit and sells those PSI (for 13.999.-- Baht!), but also has a, what she said, much better version where you get more English channels, for 22,500 Baht. I'll check it out this Wednesday and will post my findings here.

I called into my local PSI shop and was told you get 100 channels for your money.

When I checked the channels only two are in english. One was a news channel and the other was GOD TV.

Hardly worth the money is it ??

Thetyim, Yes your right NOT worth the money for 2 english channels.

This " forward satellite co . " said I can get 500 channels and stations from America . What one's I dont know.

Dario, you might have to pay the extra 5000 but its a one time payment as I was told there is no monthly bill. After work I will check out the link you supplied.

Thanks,

Jeff

If you're half sleepy when you read this, I will sure get you awake by the time you finish...

I just signed for a deal where I will get all those channels you want for 0 Baht per month, e.g. CNN. BBC, Discovery, Discovery Travel, HBO, Cinemax, Disney Channel, Fox News.... and the list goes on and on and on. It's not that scam which was earlier described in this forum...

I can't make any commercial here, otherwise I'll be considered spamming.

I subscribe to the theory that if it's to good to be true it probably is....

HBO and Cinemax are both pay TV... They have a huge overhead paying for the rights to show the movies...They are not supported by advertisements...It symply is utter B****it to expect to get them for free...

It would probably be the same telling us there is a place where you can get as much beers as you would like for free...There is no such thing as free lunch...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a defender of so called author's rights at hugely inflated prices, I certainly don't shy away from buying 100 Baht software CD's( especially from MS$ :o )

I just would be wary of investing in equipment promising you things which are just not realistic!!!

I just would like to mention that I have responded to all the requests in this post via e-mail.

The whole secret of those receivers which can bring you all those programs is that there is a decoder integrated.

Mine should be working by May 31st. I'll keep you all posted.

Decoding signals without paying the rights for them is illegal...

Every digital satellite receiver has a decoder built in (irdeto, seca)... it just needs a smart card to activate the correct decoding sequence...these smart cards are sold by the legal owners of the copyright rights...

A couple of years ago there were loads of those counterfeited smart cards on the market to decode the UBC signals... They put a couple of the distributors (of those counterfeit cards) away for several years in the Thai Monkey houses and then upgraded their encoding system to Irdeto 2( which is much harder to crack)...

Friend of mine got deported after being stupid enough to use counterfeited UBC smartcards in his bar...

Once again : Hallmark, Cinemax, HBO, Disney Channel ARE NOT FREE TO AIR CHANNELS They pay huge bills to get their signals on satellites and do want their overhead recuperated...

If you are not paying rights for them it is illegal to decode them...

As said before I am not defending rights of the big TV an Film Moguls, but promoting systems to view them for free and saying it is legal is very close to being criminal. People can and will get into trouble doing stuff like that especially if you make it public on boards like this...

Dario, If you haven't got the stuff working by now maybe you are the victim of a scam yourself... If it will work for you, don't advertise it, enjoy it, but you are doing illegal stuff which is taking an incomprehensible risk in the LOS IMHO...

Saving 1600 Baht/month while risking Thai jail time, I simply don't get it...

Monty

Decoding signals without paying the rights for them is illegal...

Every digital satellite receiver has a decoder built in (irdeto, seca)... it just needs a smart card to activate the correct decoding sequence...these smart cards are sold by the legal owners of the copyright rights...

A couple of years ago there were loads of those counterfeited smart cards on the market to decode the UBC signals... They put a couple of the distributors (of those counterfeit cards) away for several years in the Thai Monkey houses and then upgraded their encoding system to Irdeto 2( which is much harder to crack)...

Friend of mine got deported after being stupid enough to use counterfeited UBC smartcards in his bar...

Once again : Hallmark, Cinemax, HBO, Disney Channel ARE NOT FREE TO AIR CHANNELS They pay huge bills to get their signals on satellites and do want their overhead recuperated...

If you are not paying rights for them it is illegal to decode them...

As said before I am not defending rights of the big TV an Film Moguls, but promoting systems to view them for free and saying it is legal is very close to being criminal. People can and will get into trouble doing stuff like that especially if you make it public on boards like this...

Dario, If you haven't got the stuff working by now maybe you are the victim of a scam yourself... If it will work for you, don't advertise it, enjoy it, but you are doing illegal stuff which is taking an incomprehensible risk in the LOS IMHO...

Saving 1600 Baht/month while risking Thai jail time, I simply don't get it...

Monty

A fair observation. Time in the Hilton for a saving of next to nothing is crazy.

Dear Monty,

if, how you describe it, I would be doing something illegal and risk being jailed or deported, I will cancel the purchase of this system. I'm sure UBC will take me back with open arms...

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I really can confirm, what monty said.

Until December 2001 nearly each satellite shop had sold UBC pirate cards for about 6.000 Bath. They promised a working time of 1 year, but in January 2002 the fun was over, normally without refund. :D

I was astonished, that that shops still are doing their business...

But now I didn´t see working pirate cards from UBC, does anybody have another acknowledge?

The scandal is, that in LOS nobody can receive international TV-stations with reasonable equipment (a small KU-band dish). Not everybody can install a big 8 feat C-band moving dish.

From UBC you even have to pay for Free-TV, e.g. CNN, BBC, CNBC, TV5 France.

And UBC doesn´t offer a discounted FTA subsciption for expats! :o

No pirated UBC cards around since they upgraded to the Irdeto2 encryption system.

The Irdeto guys finally made a decently safe system since it hasn't been hacked/cracked since it was first introduced 2 years ago.

I know in Greece they are trying very hard since NOVA (the popular greece sattelite channels) are encrypted in irdeto2 now...

Amazing, everybody said "wait a couple of months" but after 2 years still no pirated cards...

Anyway, decoding encrypted channels is higly illegal without paying for them (by using pirated cards/decoders)

Friend of mine was jailed for using a pirated UBC card in his open bar (pretty stupid) and was deported only after telling the police where who got the card from!

Otherwise he would have been sentenced to 10 years Bangkok Hilton!!!!

Maybe astro is less dangerous since they're not Thai but I still wouldn't bet on it...

It´s really crazy!

My former business partner had dealt lots of pirate cards, even for big hotel chains and is still enjoing his profits...

After he cheated me through bancrupty fraud, I tried a deal with UBC, but they were not interested in. :o