Powerline Adapters

sstuff3

Powerline adapters dont like UPSs, transformers etc, and will only work on the same phase (if 3 phase system) and depending on wiring will often only work if both power outlets are on the same cct breaker. 

Powerline adapters dont like UPSs, transformers etc, and will only work on the same phase (if 3 phase system) and depending on wiring will often only work if both power outlets are on the same cct breaker. 

That was one if my concerns. The main router is upstairs but I would like to extend it to downstairs. Not on the same circuit. [emoji29]

Yes, even in our (reasonably) well wired home they were pretty useless [emoji20]

My dad uses them in the UK with great success.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to try the powerline adapter or the MoCA adapter.

1 minute ago, sstuff3 said:

That was one if my concerns. The main router is upstairs but I would like to extend it to downstairs. Not on the same circuit. emoji29.png

There is a good chance it will work, I have used them in multi story houses etc. Buy from an IT store with a return policy, just in case.

1 hour ago, sstuff3 said:

Do the outlets have to be on the same circuit? For example, the router is upstairs and the outlet I want to use is downstairs on a separate circuit.

It's not a problem, if they use the same circuit breaker box

I've been using powerline adapters in our 4 storey shophouse for six years. Current set up has two networks running side by side; TP Link Nano AV500 with 1 input and 3 outlets,  plus a pair of TP Link  AV1200 adapters. They're not all on the same wiring circuit  just run through the same junction box.

The system works very well.

20160711_164434.jpg

IMG_20170317_135033.jpg

From the fibre modem on the 2nd floor, through the breaker box above situated on the ground floor, it still gives a good result on the 4th floor via the android box. That's the AV1200 powerline network, connections via the AV500 adapters give about half those speeds. 

IMG_20170317_134021.jpg

Edited by Stocky

IMG_20170317_135033.jpg.a42fb11a7571b5181fef4d2766d1a00f.jpg

From the fibre modem on the 2nd floor, through the breaker box above situated on the ground floor, it still gives a good result on the 4th floor via the android box. That's the AV1200 powerline network, connections via the AV500 adapters give about half those speeds. 

IMG_20170317_134021.jpg.3b40f82c213dd28026e3d7e49cff2b9f.jpg

Great! I think I'll give it a try. Appreciate the information (and pics).

Thank you!

I'll give these a try too I think.  Could always do with a reason to add another strand to the bowl of spaghetti behind the router!!  Wifi reception is OK but not brilliant in the bedroom and I'm not sure yet whether adding a better router will improve it that much (I fell for the hype a few years ago with an Airport Extreme only to get it home and find it was barely any better than the ISP supplied cheapo box - reluctant to get taken in again!!!), I'm even LESS keen at around 10k baht, especially if I have to retain the AIS supplied HG180v2 as a modem in bridge mode - trying to de-clutter, not add more.

Edited by SooKee

On 17/03/2017 at 8:54 PM, sstuff3 said:

Great! I think I'll give it a try.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

I'll give these a try too I think. 

The faster adapters work using live, neutral and the earth wire, so three pin plugs, something to remember if your house is only wired as two pin.

My AV500 adapters are two pin and they work fine, certainly good enough for IPTV, just that the three pin AV1200 run better. Pictures on websites don't always indicate if the adapter is 2 or 3 pin, would be a pain buying 3 pin adapters and your plug socket is 2!

Edited by Stocky