Why does everything break so quickly in Thailand ?

luudee

Hi Guys,

it seems I can't go through a year without replacing these connection tubing

throughout my house.  It looks like brass may be some sort of mix.  The outside

chrome layer is rusting away, but I would have thought that brass would last ...

I am on well water, could that be the cause?

Many Thanks,

rudi

broken.jpg

Edited by luudee

2 minutes ago, Allstars said:

You could buy stainless steel tubes instead of chromed.

Bit more expensive initially, but saves time and money in the long run, and yes well water will be the cause because it will have iron and calcium inside.

Thanks, I'll have to look more closely, can't recall seeing them in stainless.

Any particular place I should go for those?

Thanks !

rudi

16 minutes ago, luudee said:

Thanks, I'll have to look more closely, can't recall seeing them in stainless.

Any particular place I should go for those?

Thanks !

rudi

Boonthavorn has always served me well with the stainless steel tubes, and actually they are not expensive in this particular article.

Yep. Shops here are full of low quality junk. People can't afford to buy something well made ( even if available) so most products are cheap with a limited lifespan. Think I have hand carried in just about every daily use product in my house    because tired of the local junk. Spoons, spatulas, tongs, light switches, extension reels, hose reels, tools, garden tools, flashlights, cutting boards,  the list goes on and on...

I hear you guys ... and totally agree about the "cheap crap" ...

I do always try to buy name brand, "American Standard" seems very popular, of course, quality remains questionable ...

I'll try Boonthavorn, thank you !

rudi

From your picture, it looks to me like you have iron in the water. Just going by the inside of the pipe.

If I'm wrong, don't read the rest.

I tapped into an aquifer about 18 m deep, and the water looked beautiful, but all the hoses and fittings, and dare I say it 'leaks', looked like rust.

After a bit of investigation, seems the iron in the water precipitates on contact with air.....hence rust. (The short version).

I put in a tank, for the rust to settle and some backwashable filters, now I don't have that telltail rust signature any more.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

From your picture, it looks to me like you have iron in the water. Just going by the inside of the pipe.

If I'm wrong, don't read the rest.

I tapped into an aquifer about 18 m deep, and the water looked beautiful, but all the hoses and fittings, and dare I say it 'leaks', looked like rust.

After a bit of investigation, seems the iron in the water precipitates on contact with air.....hence rust. (The short version).

I put in a tank, for the rust to settle and some backwashable filters, now I don't have that telltail rust signature any more.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Yes, I know I have a high iron content in my water. Even stainless steel will start to rust

after some time.

But these things I am using are made from brass. As far as I know brass does not rust (or oxidize

in any other way).

I too pump my water into a  holding tank first (going through a sand filter), and then have a constant

pressure pump to my house from the tanks.

Thanks,

rudi

Check the PH of your water, believe you will find it to be very acidic, not a lot of practical ways about that, like has been said buy the best quality fittings available, believe/hope I have changed all mine already!

"On private water systems, one of the most common causes of pipe and fixture corrosion is from low pH, which can be defined as acidic water with a pH of less than 7.0 pH. ... Acidic waters are typically low in buffering calcium minerals, but are high in dissolved carbon?dioxide gas, which can cause the low pH or acidity."

Edited by CGW

Enforcement of Consumer Protection Law means it is very hard in practice to get a refund for defective products.

The Defamation Law means negative information about a company's products is risky to disseminate.

Trade barriers such as import tariffs, import licences, distribution cartels, retail cartels, government concessions and business-government connections prevent new competitors from entering the market.

These 3 factors are the reason. Please compare with more developed nations.

These factors skew the basic laws of economics, resulting in poorer quality products and higher prices. Consumers lose out whilst politicians, civil servants and connected companies get rich.

So I went to every major Hardware Store on Sukhumvit, from Thai Watsadu to

Boonthavorn, and found the below version at Boonthavorn.   189 baht for 20"

long. It says stainless steel, but if you look closely into the opening, I can see

something yellow/gold color.  Will be interesting to see if these will last longer !

rudi

hose.jpg

On 17/03/2017 at 10:47 PM, luudee said:

it seems I can't go through a year without replacing these connection tubing

throughout my house.

Mine are over 10 years old. Never had any problems with them. I think your water must be different.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Mine are over 10 years old. Never had any problems with them. I think your water must be different.

Yes, indeed. I have my own well, and the water is very iron and calcium (limestone) rich.

rudi

VRH is a high quality brand that has served me well for over ten years in three different homes in Buriram. VRH has some hose items that are stainless 304 with PEX lining. VRH also makes limited stainless 316 fittings, in addition to stainless 304 fittings. I have several VRH taps, shower fixtures and several toilet spray bum guns that work perfect. I have cleaner water than the OP, but VRH show no signs of rust. American Standard is owned by Lixil and may not be the same grade you recall from years ago. 

2 hours ago, David B in Thailand said:

VRH is a high quality brand that has served me well for over ten years in three different homes in Buriram. VRH has some hose items that are stainless 304 with PEX lining. VRH also makes limited stainless 316 fittings, in addition to stainless 304 fittings. I have several VRH taps, shower fixtures and several toilet spray bum guns that work perfect. I have cleaner water than the OP, but VRH show no signs of rust. American Standard is owned by Lixil and may not be the same grade you recall from years ago. 

Thanks for sharing your experience David B !  The hose I showed in the picture above is a 304 Stainless Steel, according

to the marking on the package. What is not clear is which part is 304 Stainless Steel. Many other brands will say stainless

steel, but the inside parts are brass. I assume they refer to the mesh outside?  I will pay more attention the brands I buy. In

the past, I valued Haefele very much, as their fittings and such are usually really good quality. But their hoses (with 10y

warranty) had the inside part made from brass. I'm not an expert in these matters, I will keep on trying! Time will tell, lol

Again thank you for your message!

rudi

Luudee: Today I checked packages I saved of VRH Stainless 304 inlet hose fittings that I had bought years ago. Those were made in Thailand. This afternoon I stopped to pick up a Makita Wood Planer for a relative that I had repaired in Buriram. The new stock of VRH inlet hoses in this builders merchant store are stainless steel 304 with PEX linings.  While I see the made in Thailand  VRH kitchen taps and VRH stainless Bathroom taps with 12 year warranty printed on the package and 99 years on the stainless 304 grab bars and bathroom fittings I noted zero warranty information on the made in P.R.C 20" and 24" inlet hose.  Rasland is made in the PRC but offers a 5 year warranty. Cotto hoses are made in Thailand, yet I did not see a warranty listed on the box in Buriram. 

Buriram Isaan VRH Stainless 304 PEX water pipe hose fittings.jpg