Thailand pretty darned dangerous for Americans says wonky website

According to the website- Deaths in Thailand which tracks foreign deaths- they state from 2008 to 2017, the top 3 foreign nationalities that died in Thailand

British      Chinese     German  

Why so many British as their arrivals would seem to be less than many other Nationalities?

I've lived in both Mexico and Thailand. Of course one needs to take common sense precautions anywhere, but I felt safe enough in both. That said, I definitely feel safer in Thailand. 

Yes my perception has been Mexico is more dangerous but the wonky website says differently. Feelings aren't always reality.
I've lived in both Mexico and Thailand. Of course one needs to take common sense precautions anywhere, but I felt safe enough in both. That said, I definitely feel safer in Thailand. 

Yes my perception has been Mexico is more dangerous but the wonky website says differently. Feelings aren't always reality.
1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Impulse...you don't compare tourist stats to where they reside...tourists are usually healthy and don't have the medical problems if one lives long enough will eventually become a statistic...

Of course my 16 X factor was tongue in cheek.  

It goes back to my post #14 about the difference in health and affluence of people who take that kind of trip, compared to the general population.

Still, it's fun to get the reaction.

Edited by impulse
6 minutes ago, kiniyow said:

Most Americans are afraid to travel outside there enviroment...Especially Far from their own Border

Afraid?  Nope.  If we could drive across the entire country in a few hours, we'd cross the border, too.  Just like the Euros.  Good thing is, we don't need to.  We have it all right at home.  Tropics, mountains, lakes, rivers, woods, prairies, beautiful beaches- you name it.

No passports, no shots, no visas, you can drink the water everywhere, and drive on the correct side of the road, to boot.

Edited by impulse
43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it does, but wonky websites and raw data don't always give the full picture. My point was (as I said before) traffic deaths, being confrontational with Thais, wearing expensive jewelry, and being excessivly drunk probably initiate more deaths than pure random acts of violence. I think we can increase our odds immensely with the right behavior. 

16 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

Yes it does, but wonky websites and raw data don't always give the full picture. My point was (as I said before) traffic deaths, being confrontational with Thais, wearing expensive jewelry, and being excessivly drunk probably initiate more deaths than pure random acts of violence. I think we can increase our odds immensely with the right behavior. 

That's all true, but unless someone is skewing the data deliberately, (or working from deliberately skewed data- as is often the case with tourism data), those same factors have a similar effect in the other countries listed.  You can have a huge effect on your safety no matter where you go.  But assuming you're not going to Mexico to score some cocaine and coming to Thailand to visit temples, the relative safety numbers should still be valid.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But you, of all people, know you are not safe in your home.  :sorry:

bbbut I was a victim of interspecies warfare, attempting to defend myself from an attack by takabs...hardly cogent to the present discussion...

but I havta admit that they were thai takabs...glistening with venom and malevolence...

11 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

This is not correct. I followed the original statistics used in the original article and it is not correct. Eleven Americans died in Thailand compared to 78 in the Phillipines. But the per capita deaths was much higher  in Thailand because the people doing the stats got it wrong. According to them 3 million Americans visit the Phillipines and only 300 k Thailand. The correct figure is around a million to each country. This changes the per capita figure. I didnt check it for every country but this mistake cast doubt over the article. 

I would say allot of US citizens going to the Philippines are filpino's that became US citizens so not really tourists. So  will that effect the numbers too.

Thailand can be dangerous for tourists we all know this. They come to Thailand and feel they can do anything, and that's not just Thailand. Tourists from the USA expect everything to be the same as back home, such as amusement rides, rules, regulations are all the same and everything is safe it use and  if/when they get into trouble they think that saying "I'm an american" means something. Maybe 50 years it meant something now days it dont and depending were you are it can get you killed. 

11 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

This is not correct. I followed the original statistics used in the original article and it is not correct. Eleven Americans died in Thailand compared to 78 in the Phillipines. But the per capita deaths was much higher  in Thailand because the people doing the stats got it wrong. According to them 3 million Americans visit the Phillipines and only 300 k Thailand. The correct figure is around a million to each country. This changes the per capita figure. I didnt check it for every country but this mistake cast doubt over the article. 

I would say allot of US citizens going to the Philippines are filpino's that became US citizens so not really tourists. So  will that effect the numbers too.

Thailand can be dangerous for tourists we all know this. They come to Thailand and feel they can do anything, and that's not just Thailand. Tourists from the USA expect everything to be the same as back home, such as amusement rides, rules, regulations are all the same and everything is safe it use and  if/when they get into trouble they think that saying "I'm an american" means something. Maybe 50 years it meant something now days it dont and depending were you are it can get you killed. 

I am aussie and i live Thailand and i feel extremely safe here. I go walking I go out at night I go shopping I go to the beach I dont have any fears about doing that. There is a place in Sydney called Redfern Now that place is scary to live lol Even the cops dont go there at night

22 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd prefer Thailand, too- if it weren't for that 60 hour round trip slog to go back and visit family who live a 2-3 hours' flight from Mexico.  But that 60 hours trumps any minuscule safety differential, even if it does go the other direction based on true and accurate numbers- which are not guaranteed here.

Besides, the numbers are very different for an old fart that doesn't drink, is in bed around dark- thirty, and doesn't chase women for sport.  But I doubt we'll ever see those stats published.  (Edit:  'cause there's not enough of us to count...)

I guess the numbers would improve even more if the old fart also doesn't chase ladyboy streetwalkers for sport as well as women.

• 3 months later...

I have had vacation homes in both Mexico and Thailand as I live in AZ and my wife is Thai. I sold the places in Mexico after a Navy copter gunned down a drug lord on the grounds of the condo development right next to me. Still have my Thailand place and no plans to sell. Love visiting and feel quite safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2017 at 8:37 AM, impulse said:

...in the past 11 years, 106 Americans died in traffic accidents, 84 (reported) suicides, 21 homicides, 14 deaths were drug related, and 1 (count 'em, one) was from terrorist action...

so far in 2017 (jan-aug), there have been 220 homocides in baltimore,

451 in chicago.

last weekend  " (t)he level of violence exceeded the 52 shot during the three-day Memorial Day weekend, but it fell short of the 102 hit by gunfire over the Fourth of July weekend, according to Tribune data. Despite the bad weekend, fewer people have been shot in Chicago this year than at this time last year: 2,435 compared with 2,710"