Wife's Sister Visiting Uk.

My wife is living with me and working in the UK, presently on a spouse visa, will be on ILR from Dec 2007.

Her younger sister, 22, is in the final year of a law degree and may possibly do the masters? She's also studying English up through all the levels at AUA.

We'd like her to visit us in the UK, to help look after baby, and to practice her English. I'm guessing we can't mention babysitting in any application as that may be classed as working.

So I'm wondering, is her only option a visitor's visa? Would she have much chance of getting this, particularly as she might not have a job to go back to? Is there a maximum length of stay?

Would she have a better chance if she had a job or a job offer for when she returned?

The other option, I believe, is to study here, and come in on a study visa. But she hasn't got any dosh and we can't afford to sponsor her.

Thanks for your help.

We'd like her to visit us in the UK, to help look after baby, and to practice her English. I'm guessing we can't mention babysitting in any application as that may be classed as working.

So I'm wondering, is her only option a visitor's visa? Would she have much chance of getting this, particularly as she might not have a job to go back to? Is there a maximum length of stay?

A Visitors visa is the visa for visitors (which she is). A Visitor visa would normally allow her 6 months from the date of issue of the visa before she has to return to Thailand. No work allowed (Occasionally babysitting for her sister is not work as such). However as it's her first time she might be advised to request a shorter time in UK. There is no harm to say she wants her holiday to coincide with her sister giving birth to justify a longer than normal holiday.

Would she have a better chance if she had a job or a job offer for when she returned?

She will need to show she has enough funds for the trip (either by herself or from you the sponsor) and that she has reason to return to Thailand (a job offer or further study arranged would be good) or she would have little chance.As a sponsor you would need to show the accomodation you have has sufficient space to put her up.

The other option, I believe, is to study here, and come in on a study visa. But she hasn't got any dosh and we can't afford to sponsor her.

To get a student Visa she would need to be booked on and have paid for a course.International students rates are applicable and university courses can run into £1000's but language courses will be cheaper.

Edited by Mahout Angrit