cable from meter to house u derground

taninthai

Never assume anything, particularly if you have not yet passed the PEA inspection. Verify the required cable size for the meter you intend having installed.

To run underground in conduit (it should really be HDPE but PVC should be OK) you need to use NYY http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/131007_34-450!750V 70C NYY-2C.pdf which is rated for underground use. You can get it in smaller sizes than the Bangkok Cable site shows :)

Thanks crossy new you would be along with an answer,,,in regards to this pea inspection ....can you give me any more info on what they are looking at and checking on.....I am wiring a small 1 bedroom in twin and earth ,there is some plastic conduit installed above the ceiling but it's not continuous so cable jumps in and out the conduit....

Do they want to see above the ceiling or can I fully plasterboard the ceiling..

Are sticky padsto the metal beam with cable tie wrapped to them passable.

Appreciate any info you have.....again thanks in advance.

Does your site already have a permanent meter? If so there's no inspection unless you're upgrading the existing meter. If you're being billed about 4 Baht per unit you have a permanent supply.

If you need an inspection the man will be looking for:-

1. MEN implemented Thai style
  2. Ground rod
  3. Front end RCD
  4. Correctly sized wiring

He's unlikely to want to look in roof spaces, our inspection lasted an hour 55 minutes of which was the man gassing with Wifey. If you're done anywhere near Western standard you'll be just fine.

If you are talking about running underground from the meter, you really need to get with the PEA before you order anything.  Most, if not all, "upcountry" PEA absolutely refuse to service underground cable.  Once on your property, you can do whatever but not from the meter.  And, there are some PEA that require underground, so be sure you get it straight from them.

dont know why i would want them to service the underground cable that would belong to me, my meter only sits 2m from my land border anyway.so shouldn't be any problem there, am confirming size with pea tommorow

yep crossy its a temporary meter so will be getting changed its a new build.

one other thing earth wire size to ground rod ,guy in homeport say 4 mm2 ,so took his advice and bought 3m of it ,,,,personally i think 6 mm2 better ,,,,,do you know what pea inspector is looking for ..4mm2 enough.

pics below distance meter to land border red post my border.

IMAG1605.jpg

IMAG1607.jpg

Hi another question,,,notice they don't seem to put anything to protect the meter ,want to mount some sort of fuse/main switch that will blow/trip if the underground cable has a problem will obviously be mounted in waterproof box just below the meter,,,,,anyone got a picture of the sort of thing could use here and what would be a good size....again thanks in advance

@taninthai that's a good point. I'll check with some who would know but my initial thoughts would be a suitably rated, time-delay, 100mA RCD. That should provide discrimination with the standard RCDs in your breaker box so no need to go out in the rain to reset (too often).

BUT I suspect the answer would be to just allow the failed cable to blow the fault clear, the cable will be toast anyway if it's got water ingress or been dug up and compromised. In the event of a dead short the meter will depart anyway.

AND Will PEA allow you to mount anything on their pole? In the UK you cannot mount your own kit in the meter box.

ALSO Do you really want to put a means of killing your power in a public area?

FINALLY A suitable device isn't going to be cheap, is the cost worth protecting against a highly unlikely event?

What sort of calamity do you think may befall your underground cable?

I can't help thinking that you are over-analysing the issue. In the UK where most homes are supplied by underground cables there is no protective device other than the (massive) sub-station fuse.

Lol......can't really see anything go wrong with it really but better to be safe than sorry.....what's the worst that would happen if it develops a dead short don't want to take out the whole neighbour hood electrics out...I'm thinking it would just blow the meter up......oops just see in your other reply it will in fact only be the meter that is destroyed.

But it leads onto another point I am running two supplies from that meter I have 2 small houses that are going to be rented out so will have two meters on my property ...also wanted to put some form of connector block in this weather proof box so as to bring two seperate supplies to each house .trying to keep all services to houses seperate in case I decide to sell one of them at a later date

Edited by taninthai

I would make sure any branching and the like is done on your property, PEA may not like you doing anything at the pole and it's more secure anyway. Power theft is not unknown here, why make life easy for the free loaders?

To protect the village you could add a 63A BS88 fuse in a box, that's what you'd have on the service head in the UK. But you'll still need to discuss with PEA if you want to mount it on their pole.

Yeah something like this is what I'm after obviously 63a be better...Will try and get down shop tommorow for cable and see what they got in there.
Pea make me laugh I paid for that pole I stick what I like on there....555

1490180203019.jpg

3 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Pea make me laugh I paid for that pole I stick what I like on there....555

If the meter is on it, it's not yours even if you "paid" for it.

There are those who "paid" for transformers only to discover later that they didn't own them.

Do ensure you talk to PEA about cable size before buying. You have been warned!

Just now, Crossy said:

If the meter is on it, it's not yours even if you "paid" for it.

There are those who "paid" for transformers only to discover later that they didn't own them.

thats what i mean they make me laugh i paid for the meter too ,but yeah i know i have to pay for it all and then it all belongs to them ,which is ok because if any off the 4 poles fall down that i paid for they have to come fix them back up for free:)

7 minutes ago, taninthai said:

thats what i mean they make me laugh i paid for the meter too ,but yeah i know i have to pay for it all and then it all belongs to them ,which is ok because if any off the 4 poles fall down that i paid for they have to come fix them back up for free:)

The meter should just be a deposit :)

Anyway, back to protection of the cable.

The opinion of "Them as Knows" back in the UK is that no protection and just allowing any fault to blow clear would be acceptable. If PEA will let you mount a fuse at the meter that would be nicer but it's by no means a requirement.

I could see one other definite advantage.  When you wanted to work on the mains input to your house you could just go pull the fuse to disconnect from the PEA supply.

Otherwise you have to call them and have them come out - NOT! Or you have to disconnect the wires at the meter which are covered by a plate with a twisted metal seal. You would have to carefully remove the seal and disconnect the lines and after you were finished carefully put the seal back on making it look like it was never been removed!  Would/have I done that? Yep, I have.  When I built my house I had to set a pole and the power only ran to the house.  Over the years and many additions that pole now has 5 radials running from it to different locations and CUs in three buildings.

I never thought of putting a fuse or switch box on the pole as the additions came over time and it only takes a couple of minutes to unhook the power at the meter, but it would have been a positive addition in the beginning if I had thought of it.

On 19/03/2017 at 0:12 PM, Crossy said:

Never assume anything, particularly if you have not yet passed the PEA inspection. Verify the required cable size for the meter you intend having installed.

To run underground in conduit (it should really be HDPE but PVC should be OK) you need to use NYY http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/131007_34-450!750V 70C NYY-2C.pdf which is rated for underground use. You can get it in smaller sizes than the Bangkok Cable site shows :)

they dont seem to have this cable any more on there website,,,woman in shop today said they have changed its name to c something..this is all i can find on there website  http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/140528_061kvCV_2core.pdf  or this one which is nyy with swa sheath????http://www.bangkokcable.com/product/backoffice/file_upload/140528_061kvNYY-SWA_2core.pdf

@taninthai I think BKK Cable have stopped doing 2-core NYY in the smaller sizes, other manufacturers still do it http://www.thaiyazaki-electricwire.co.th/product.php?id=&view=search&search=nyy

Check out in your local supplier.

If you go with the SWA you won't need the conduit, but it will be a lot more expensive.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@taninthai I think BKK Cable have stopped doing 2-core NYY in the smaller sizes, other manufacturers still do it http://www.thaiyazaki-electricwire.co.th/product.php?id=&view=search&search=nyy

Check out in your local supplier.

If you go with the SWA you won't need the conduit, but it will be a lot more expensive.

i think they have both stopped doing it in smaller sizes ,,,seems you can get single core nyy from yazaki ,but from what i see multi core starts at 50mm2.

have sent bkk and yazaki an email anyway and will check another local supplier tomorrow,i know a local thai spark will see what he says too..555

1 minute ago, taninthai said:

i think they have both stopped doing it in smaller sizes ,,,seems you can get single core nyy from yazaki ,but from what i see multi core starts at 50mm2.

have sent bkk and yazaki an email anyway and will check another local supplier tomorrow,i know a local thai spark will see what he says too..555

Downloaded today from the ThaiYazaki website

33 B10.jpg