Adding Chromium Virtual Machine to a Windows 10 laptop

oldcarguy

I would like to add a Virtual Machine - VM on my Laptop and Chromium looks like a way to add Linux and have a way of opening "iffy" emails etc,

plus I can use all the add ons like a Chromebook

Anyway is there an easy way to do it ?

can I just download chromium portable and make a partition to  put it on the Hard drive  ,

and can I  also do a Virtual Machine with windows 7 to run older programs the will not run on Windows 10,

thanks for your ideas

If you want to run the android OS on hardware using regular Intel/AMD or similar processors, you'll need a special build of the OS compiled to run (or emulate running) on the SOCs developers have created their APKs for. 

Take a look at CloudReady by Neverware.

It's an android build designed to run on a PC, or a PC Virtual Environment -- and receives updates.

If your interested in running Android on a PC then check out this web article:

14 best Android emulators for PC of 2017
Android Authority  |  by Joe Hindy  |  2 weeks ago

I run Linux and CloudReady (Chromium OS) as virtual machines under Oracle's VM VirtualBox

If you really want to play with a safety net then boot/run an OS from a USB drive.

Edited by RichCor

Remix can for sure.
I've got it installed as a dual boot with Windows 7 but there's no reason to believe it won't run as a VM.

It doesn't come with Playstore installed but there's an app that downloads and installs it for you as a 1 time thing so a minor annoyance.

After that you can get the apps you want.

Since I never ran a Virtual Machine ,  I have no idea which is better , but simple and already set-up sounds good

I just got a used Windows 10  HP laptop  with SSD drive and want to set it up for my travel laptop ,  as its much lighter than my Dell laptop......

Can you "Powerwash"   Remix like you can a Chromebook ?

Since I never ran a Virtual Machine ,  I have no idea which is better , but simple and already set-up sounds good

I just got a used Windows 10  HP laptop  with SSD drive and want to set it up for my travel laptop ,  as its much lighter than my Dell laptop......

Can you "Powerwash"   Remix like you can a Chromebook ?

No. ChromeOS and Android are different operating systems. However, Android can be reinstalled. Once logged into your Google account you can then restore your apps.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Chrome OS (and Chromium OS) lack the broad range of drivers to run 'directly' on but a small range of selected hardware.

CloudReady by Neverware is based on Google's Chromium OS and is a good alternative to Chrome OS. It's been written to run on a broader range of hardware, or can be installed under a VM (like Oracle's Virtual Box).

But it you are looking for an environment just to open 'iffy' email, there may be quicker ways to 'sandbox' an email app (or enable passive reading) in your current OS.

11 hours ago, RichCor said:

Chrome OS (and Chromium OS) lack the broad range of drivers to run 'directly' on but a small range of selected hardware.

CloudReady by Neverware is based on Google's Chromium OS and is a good alternative to Chrome OS. It's been written to run on a broader range of hardware, or can be installed under a VM (like Oracle's Virtual Box).

But it you are looking for an environment just to open 'iffy' email, there may be quicker ways to 'sandbox' an email app (or enable passive reading) in your current OS.

the iffy emails would also include iffy websites  or links,,,,,,

but I do like the idea of being able to use Android apps  as some things are only on an Android app  and not on a Windows app /  or a website,