Selected ThaiVisa Posts Being Used in The Nation Opinion Section

Pib

I see selected posts from ThaiVisa are appearing in The Nation newspaper Opinion page as Letters to the Editor.   I doubt these were submitted to the editor of the Nation for publishing in the online paper,  but just copied and reused by ThaiVisa in The Nation Opinion section.   

Is this ThaiVisa new policy?   Seems to be somewhat of a privacy violation.

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

I see selected posts from ThaiVisa are appearing in The Nation newspaper Opinion page as Letters to the Editor.   I doubt these were submitted to the editor of the Nation for publishing in the online paper,  but just copied and reused by ThaiVisa in The Nation Opinion section.   

Is this ThaiVisa new policy?   Seems to be somewhat of a privacy violation.

The terms below have been pretty much the same for many years.  And no different from many other online forums like this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

You agree to grant to THAIVISA.COM a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sub-license, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information you submit to any public areas, chat rooms, bulletin boards, social media, newsletters, newsgroups or forums of THAIVISA.COM or which you provide by email or any other means to THAIVISA.COM and affiliated partners, in any media now known or hereafter developed.**

Further, you grant to THAIVISA.COM the right to use your name and or user name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto, together with use on any other THAIVISA.COM web sites and or affiliated partners. You agree that you shall have no recourse against THAIVISA.COM for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to THAIVISA.COM.

**In the simplest terms, this is what we require to legally display your posts in our group of companies.

Well, personally I think it bad enough a person's post is repackaged/requoted as if it was submitted directly to the newspaper by that poster.    Please don't submit any of mine to FoxNews as Donald Trump will get pissed at me.

Can The Nation pull content from anywhere or are they confined to TVF Member comments only on The Nation articles shown on ThaiVisa?  I cringe at the thought of some kid over at The Nation surfing around in Farang Pub, thinks something is funny, and exports it to The Nation "Opinion" section.

As overarching context, I'm not bothered by any of this really, sites share fair use content all the time. 

But I was ruminating about why some TVF members are so hard over on this The Nation deal.

One distinction could be that farangs sign up (for free) to be members of a niche farang website where most things are discussed freely, and they create content and comments for THAT kind of English-only venue.  Comments are often based on shared or understood backstory/background, culture, and can be laced with colloquialisms, snark, irony, innuendo and humor that may not be understood by a non-native English/ESL speaker; or worse, misunderstood and cause offense when none was intended or reasonably anticipated in the native venue - that happens already on ThaiVisa.     In this context, sure, I could see how having one's comments cherry picked and exported into a Thai venue (albeit in English) with a different vibe, purpose and outlook, would be off putting.  Moreover, a Thai venue with enhanced exposure to the specter of real-life repercussions from a petulant, thin-skinned gubmint, hanging over their heads.

On that note, is it possible to comment on a news article in The Nation?  I'm not familiar with that venue but a quick look in didn't reveal any comment sections for articles or opinion/editorial.  

My Gosh!  Could it be that TVF Members were sold out to a passive/aggressive The Nation as useful idiots and cannon fodder?   TV Forum, as it is, or was, would be a virtual gold mine of material to ridicule the government by proxy, with a carefully worded legal blurb to divorce themselves from opinions and comments not made by them, nor do they represent the beliefs and position of The Nation. :ermm:

Edited by 55Jay

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 5:27 PM, Pib said:

Well, personally I think it bad enough a person's post is repackaged/requoted as if it was submitted directly to the newspaper by that poster.    Please don't submit any of mine to FoxNews as Donald Trump will get pissed at me.

If Trump gets pissed at you, that's a badge of honor.  Everyone he's pissed-off at are upstanding people doing good jobs.  Examples;  NY Times, Washington Post writers.  They're some of the best journalists in the world.  That's why Trump hates them - because they're doing their jobs so well, and exposing the truth about Trump's (and his buddies') law-breaking.