Eggshell paint ?

recom273

I had some MDF desktops made for my office, I want to give them a coat of white paint.

Is it possible to by eggshell paint here or a paint with a satin / matt texture? or what other paint will do the job on MDF? matt smooth hammerite?

What about an undercoat?

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

ETS: I like a basic raw look, zinc pipes, unpainted steel, unpainted MDF - So if its not possible to find a eggshell then advice on a matt laquer would be welcomed.

Edited by recom273

For undercoat give it two good coats of the pre-thinned shellac (pic attached). You can buy it from any local builders merchant, either in bottles, or larger plastic tubs. The first coat soaks right in and the second less so. This adds a little water resistance to the MDF and provides a good base for a top coat.
Dulux sell a good quality kitchen paint that has a semi-matt finish and is very hard wearing and washable - available from the large DIY stores. We used this over shellac on an MDF kitchen that I built with a friend. A coat of beeswax over the kitchen paint gave it a really nice professional semi-shiny and interesting finish. Beeswax is available as yellow disks from many markets, by the kilo. Melt it in olive oil and make your own excellent polish.
Picture of the finished hand-made kitchen also attached here - but that's just showing-off a bit!  ;-)

20161016_101447.jpg

20161029_122537.jpg

8 minutes ago, JimShortz said:

For undercoat give it two good coats of the pre-thinned shellac (pic attached). You can buy it from any local builders merchant, either in bottles, or larger plastic tubs. The first coat soaks right in and the second less so. This adds a little water resistance to the MDF and provides a good base for a top coat.
Dulux sell a good quality kitchen paint that has a semi-matt finish and is very hard wearing and washable - available from the large DIY stores. We used this over shellac on an MDF kitchen that I built with a friend. A coat of beeswax over the kitchen paint gave it a really nice professional semi-shiny and interesting finish. Beeswax is available as yellow disks from many markets, by the kilo. Melt it in olive oil and make your own excellent polish.
Picture of the finished hand-made kitchen also attached here - but that's just showing-off a bit!  ;-)

20161016_101447.jpg

20161029_122537.jpg

Ah .. Man - thats spot on .. I had a mate who was a shopfitter, years ago, I remember him talking about Shellac, but I was googling thinking it was a paint .. What to think it down with, Thai gloss / brush cleaner thinners?

So yeah, thats absolutely perfect - kitchen paint - exactly that look I was after.

Better not let the wife see that kitchen, looks lovelly.

Cant thank you enough for that advice.

Edited by recom273