Phuket to receive B71bn for infrastructure, traffic management

snoop1130

Phuket to receive B71bn for infrastructure, traffic management

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_201732115195897_BmCfAMeZmuICIgylDkACIrfGVPEcfyPgkSLleqLR_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Phuket is slated to receive 71 billion baht in infrastructure funding, with an emphasis on improving traffic management and chalking out effective solutions for the island’s growing traffic woes, the Ministry of Transport announced yesterday. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith held a meeting at the Phuket Boat Lagoon with relevant officers to discuss details of the plan. 

“Phuket has one of the highest economic growth rates, mostly from tourism, which brings more visitors to the island. However, there is only one main road to enter and exit, namely Thepkrasattri Road. Public transport is not good enough, so most people use their own private vehicles. This causes frequent traffic jams and exacerbates traffic congestion in Phuket,” said Mr Arkhom. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-receive-B71bn-infrastructure-traffic-management/66394?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-3-21

A brand-new 40 person western-style diesel bus costs 10M Baht.

So I'm guessing that they plan to buy 70B/10M = 7000 buses for Phuket. OK, that's ridiculous, how about 700 buses for 10% of the infrastructure budget? No? OK how about 100 buses? 50 buses? 10 buses?

Silly me, no buses required in Phuket.

Edited by modafinil
bus

"The Chalong Underpass will be completed soon"

This comment alone shows that the guy doesn't really have a clue.

"Public transport is not good enough"

Everyone in Phuket knows this but the remainder of the report fails to address this issue, other than the light railway, which, if construction ever starts, will probably cause four years of traffic hell.

How about someone having the balls to say "@#$% the tuktuks and taxis, we're going to introduce a functional bus system." Cheaper than light rail, they would be utilised if the routes were planned carefully and if done on a large enough scale, surely the transport mafias could be defeated.

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

How about someone having the balls to say "@#$% the tuktuks and taxis, we're going to introduce a functional bus system." Cheaper than light rail, they would be utilised if the routes were planned carefully and if done on a large enough scale, surely the transport mafias could be defeated.

Cart before the horse. 

The only way the transport mafia will be overthrown is, if by some miracle, the police force suddenly does it's job without corruption, bias nor favour. 

The violent criminals ruling the industry by bribery, threats and outright violence can only be halted, and then quite easily, by real policing and an incorruptible court.

Edited by Old Croc

8 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

A certain reader will be happy- 71bn could buy a lot of Baht buses.:partytime2:

Whilst you jest, baht buses are extremely popular with tourists, locals, and expats, in Pattaya, this is undeniable. 

I can see no reason why they wouldn't be well used on Phuket, making good money for the driver, but more importantly, getting intoxicated people off motorbikes, thus, saving lives, not to mention easing traffic congestion, and therefore accidents, and freeing up parking.  

Whilst a proper public transport system using buses would be preferable between the beaches, in my opinion, and I have heard this from some first timers here, it is unbelievable that Phuket, which is promoted as "A World Class Tourist Destination" doesn't have proper metered taxis, similar to those in Bangkok. 

Phuket has all the big multinational chain hotels, with tourists paying good money to stay in them, yet, the essential service of transport is practically non-existent here, which leaves an indelible impression on ALL tourists who come here. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Cart before the horse. 

The only way the transport mafia will be overthrown is, if by some miracle, the police force suddenly does it's job without corruption, bias nor favour. 

The violent criminals ruling the industry by bribery, threats and outright violence can only be halted, and then quite easily, by real policing and an incorruptible court.

All true, however, with the transport mafia being so big, all they have to do is blockade, and it brings the tourism industry to its knees here.  

If the will existed to do so, the blockade could be dismantled, similar to the way the red shirt compound was dismantled in Bangkok, but the police do not have the resources, and the Thai military would be required.

The military have been in power for nearly 3 years, and they will not even touch this issue, so, there appears little hope for positive change in relation to transport here. 

Due to this lack of change, we have seen the tourism industry change, in order to work around this criminal enterprise. 

The majority of tourists to Phuket, the Chinese, have their own coach buses, many of which are bought in from other provinces, due to being cheaper.  Tourists hiring cars and motorbikes, many times with tragic consequences,  The lucrative western tourist market is rapidly shrinking, detouring Phuket for other destinations and tourists selecting accommodation only within walking distance to the beach and/or nightlife, just to name a few. 

The whole thing is a disgrace, and we can now see the behavioural effects on the tourism industry these criminals have caused. 

15 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

with the transport mafia being so big, all they have to do is blockade, and it brings the tourism industry to its knees here.

No. With regional headquarters now stationed in Phuket and the army and navy as backups there is no way a couple of drunken taxi drivers will ever again blockade the Island.

Other than by Police collusion.

You were probably in one of your favorite Bangla road haunts some months back when the police came out in numbers and marched down the street to show who's in charge! Forgotten already?

29 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

No. With regional headquarters now stationed in Phuket and the army and navy as backups there is no way a couple of drunken taxi drivers will ever again blockade the Island.

Other than by Police collusion.

You were probably in one of your favorite Bangla road haunts some months back when the police came out in numbers and marched down the street to show who's in charge! Forgotten already?

I think this article clearly shows who is running the place.  :smile:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-tuk-tuk-blockade-ousts-Patong-Police-superintendent/26739#ad-image-0

Note this paragraph:  "At 6am, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnont arrived at the station, and by 8am, police had agreed to all the tuk-tuk drivers’ demands."

7 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I think this article clearly shows who is running the place.  :smile:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-tuk-tuk-blockade-ousts-Patong-Police-superintendent/26739#ad-image-0

Note this paragraph:  "At 6am, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnont arrived at the station, and by 8am, police had agreed to all the tuk-tuk drivers’ demands."

That article is 3 years old and precedes the coup and the relocation of the Region 8 police headquarters to the island, not relevent to todays climate.

Also, did you read the disclaimer in the middle of my post?

After ignoring you for several years I thought I might again respond to some of your quotes of my posts. Just to see if maybe you were a genuine, but slightly thick poster, or the troll I consider you to be. I have my answer, experiment concluded.

Phuket to receive 71 billion baht.

That will make a few higher ups happy, thats 1 billion for you, 1 billion for me, 1billion for little Somchai.

Ohh hang on a minute, better use a bit for the infrastructure, make the peasants happy.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

That article is 3 years old and precedes the coup and the relocation of the Region 8 police headquarters to the island, not relevent to todays climate.

Also, did you read the disclaimer in the middle of my post?

After ignoring you for several years I thought I might again respond to some of your quotes of my posts. Just to see if maybe you were a genuine, but slightly thick poster, or the troll I consider you to be. I have my answer, experiment concluded.

"That article is 3 years old" - and what has changed here in relation to this issue since it was published????

If the police were going take on the transport mafia, they have had the The Thai military to call on for assistance for near the last 3 years, yet, nothing has changed.

Geez, we even have the Thai military checking driving licenses here because the police are hopeless.  

Do you think the police are sitting back waiting for a strategic time to make their move?  :biggrin: