Manchester now cheaper than Bangkok thanks to Brexit: Weak pound makes UK a bargain for visitors while Brits are stung by rising shop prices

webfact

I'm not sure where you shop but food is most certainly cheaper in Bangkok (6 tomatoes for 25p at BigC), even eating out if you compare like for like. Santa Fe Steak restaurants, rib eye for £6.50, you'd be lucky to get one at the butchers for that in the UK. Shoes are not expensive unless you are buying imported Italian, same thing for whine. How about fuel costs, electricity, gas, petrol not to mention housing, where in London can you rent a 1 bed fully furnished apartment with swimming pool, gym and a parking space for £350 a month?
:jap:

Rib eye steak at Morrisons today, 225gm, £4.0p.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just checked the TVF exchange rate and Sterling is 42.86 baht. That's not better than before Brexit.

It was roughly the same exchange rate as it was six years ago

Six years about the Pound hovered around the 44 Baht rate

These days it hovers around the 43 Baht rate

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I haven't been back to the UK for several years, but would be genuinely shocked if able to live as comfortably there (even in Manchester) on my pension income as I can in Thailand - and I live on Phuket!

You couldnt.  It's just that prices for food and clothing is cheaper in UK at present.

I've just been chatting with a friend who lives in Manchester area.  750 pcm for a not very good rental house.  300 for petrol.  The upshot is he can't cover living expenses from his quite good job.

As I said though in other posts: it's a mistake not to overlook medical costs in Thailand.

On 24/03/2017 at 2:13 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I'm not sure where you shop but food is most certainly cheaper in Bangkok (6 tomatoes for 25p at BigC), even eating out if you compare like for like. Santa Fe Steak restaurants, rib eye for £6.50, you'd be lucky to get one at the butchers for that in the UK. Shoes are not expensive unless you are buying imported Italian, same thing for whine. How about fuel costs, electricity, gas, petrol not to mention housing, where in London can you rent a 1 bed fully furnished apartment with swimming pool, gym and a parking space for £350 a month?

:jap:

Of course you are correct: many things in Bangkok are cheaper but on the other hand many things, and not necessarily luxuries, are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Things will be cheaper if you eat only Thai , but want something else and the prices skyrocket. EG, Salmon ( 500 per kilo in U.K. and Australia, 900 in Bangkok), Hummus (80 v270), cheese ( at least double, often triple), bread ( double for the CRAP that is available in BKK), yoghurt ( triple ), olives ( double+).

Shoes ...even basic ones like Crocs ( canvas rather than rubber, made in Vietnam), 2,000 v 4,000 at Central, Italian ones are also double.

Clothes ....about the same since the "value" places opened ( Zara, H&M, Unilqlo) but the more tradional retailers are significantly more than High Street counterparts, and would be blown out of the water in the event that Primark opened in BKK ( same for Aldi, Lidl in supermarket space).

I'm not suggesting that the items above are part of a budget diet, rather that the profit margin on them is excessive and not explained by tax and excise. While it's possible to live cheaply on basic local food it's impossible to do so while following an international diet.

11 hours ago, anotheruser said:

You lost me whea n you claimed wine isn't expensive in Thailand. Not sure how you reached that conclusion. There are few places on the planet when is more expensive than it is in Thailand.

He didn't say wine, he said whine. If that was expensive then half the posters here would be bankrupt.

On 3/22/2017 at 4:32 PM, dunroaming said:

I agree they do have a very biased approach most of the time and openly back Brexit.  However this report is from "Thisismoney.co.uk" an independent body.

Of course any report can cherry pick examples to "make their case" as can any individual.  The facts that are indisputable are that the pound has fallen considerably which makes everything cheaper for those visiting and changing currency, and prices are rising for everything that the UK imports.  You don't need a degree in economics to see that. 

There is an old saying in business that "Figures don't lie,but liars can figure".

On 3/24/2017 at 10:31 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

It is about 20% lower against the Baht, so it makes a difference if you live here and get paid in pound notes.

As I said above in ID:22, there is very little that is cheaper, but one thing that does cost more is peanut butter, it's about three times the price (it didn't used to be).

George I know what you mean about this as I too am on an income paid in dollars in the US and when ever I go back to the US once a year I bring back lots of peanut butter and good coffee ..  

On 21 March, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

So getting a taxi in Manchester is cheaper than Bangkok. No.

getting a tram or bus. No

As a visitor staying in a hotel is cheaper than Bangkok. No.

Gas and electricity are more expensive in Manchester than Bangkok.

House prices to buy or rent cheaper. No

Some food items. Yes.

Beer. depends where you go.

Cigarettes No.

I really would like to see the 160 products and services that are cheaper. Seems like another article blaming Brexit on everything.

I am sorry to the Manchester people on the board but it is grim anyway and I suspect if people had a choice, in which place to go, Bangkok would come on top by a mile.

Go to one of the hotel booking engines and type in a search for Manchester. I was in Silom last week at a 3 star hotel. I can get a  4 star in Manchester  for a similar price.  Have a look at the cost of  quality dining. Manchester is a bargain. I can't believe the   return to sanity  in London prices now.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:55 PM, Prbkk said:

Of course you are correct: many things in Bangkok are cheaper but on the other hand many things, and not necessarily luxuries, are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Things will be cheaper if you eat only Thai , but want something else and the prices skyrocket. EG, Salmon ( 500 per kilo in U.K. and Australia, 900 in Bangkok), Hummus (80 v270), cheese ( at least double, often triple), bread ( double for the CRAP that is available in BKK), yoghurt ( triple ), olives ( double+).

Shoes ...even basic ones like Crocs ( canvas rather than rubber, made in Vietnam), 2,000 v 4,000 at Central, Italian ones are also double.

Clothes ....about the same since the "value" places opened ( Zara, H&M, Unilqlo) but the more tradional retailers are significantly more than High Street counterparts, and would be blown out of the water in the event that Primark opened in BKK ( same for Aldi, Lidl in supermarket space).

I'm not suggesting that the items above are part of a budget diet, rather that the profit margin on them is excessive and not explained by tax and excise. While it's possible to live cheaply on basic local food it's impossible to do so while following an international diet.

A lot of what you say is true, and some of the foreign supermarkets in the UK are cheaper, but a lot of their "own brand" stuff is inedible.

All the imported stuff you mention, cheese, salmon, brand name shoes etc, will always be more. Salmon is farmed now and is cheaper than cod in the UK, try getting fresh king prawns like you buy here for the same price.

Profit is the name of the game, I go back to peanut butter: The Thai brand was bought out and the same tub was relabeled and the price trebled to the same as the imported stuff. Things that farangs buy are an easy target, like National Park entrance fees.

Overall, the cost of power, heat and accommodation far outweighs all the savings on a few imported food and clothing items you don't need every day.

I like Thai food, and quite happy to eat it 29 out of 30 days. It's one of the reasons I live here.

:whistling:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 3/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, anotheruser said:

You lost me whea n you claimed wine isn't expensive in Thailand. Not sure how you reached that conclusion. There are few places on the planet when is more expensive than it is in Thailand.

Try the local stuff or pay the price. Local market near me you can get a half decent bottle of  imported plonk for about ฿450, anything drinkable is around a tenner a bottle in the UK.

:burp:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

20 hours ago, sanukjim said:

George I know what you mean about this as I too am on an income paid in dollars in the US and when ever I go back to the US once a year I bring back lots of peanut butter and good coffee ..  

No added sugar peanut butter is in my case as well, together with coffee, tea, Vegemite, kg blocks of cheese, a few loaves of dark rye, yoghurt mix sachets and some other items. Door to door it's 11 hours. 

19 hours ago, roo860 said:

Marks and Spencer meal deal for two, choice of starter, main, dessert and a bottle of wine, £10.

That sounds like a good deal for two, but you don't say what you get for that? A drinkable bottle of wine in M&S is usually over £8 or £9 alone.

M&S is in trouble (the local one to me in the UK closed last year), and getting people into the shops must be behind this offer, a "loss leader" perhaps? They are not exactly known for Lidle or Aldi type prices.

That sounds like a good deal for two, but you don't say what you get for that? A drinkable bottle of wine in M&S is usually over £8 or £9 alone.

M&S is in trouble (the local one to me in the UK closed last year), and getting people into the shops must be behind this offer, a "loss leader" perhaps? They are not exactly known for Lidle or Aldi type prices.

They change the menus weekly, the ready meals etc they do are very good value and quality, my mum swears by them, regularly two for one offers. As for the wine, that is totally down to personal taste.

As for Aldi, I personally can't fault the quality of the stuff I purchase, they do a great Puri Puri chicken.

Ps, the meal for two offer has been on for at least the last 2yrs.

18 hours ago, roo860 said:

They change the menus weekly, the ready meals etc they do are very good value and quality, my mum swears by them, regularly two for one offers. As for the wine, that is totally down to personal taste.

As for Aldi, I personally can't fault the quality of the stuff I purchase, they do a great Puri Puri chicken.

Ps, the meal for two offer has been on for at least the last 2yrs.

M&S deal does sound good, but since the local one closed it is a 30 mile round trip to the nearest in the UK. I agree wine is a matter of personal taste and price isn't always the defining thing to find what suits. I much prefer a good red, be it from the France, Italy or wherever, but day to day I like a beer. Wine snobs (and most golfists) I find annoying.

Again Aldi and Lidle own brand stuff is hit and miss (as are other supermarkets)  in my experience, some are okay and others go in the bin and a trip to the chippy is in order.

Happy shopping!

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The elephant in the room is the risk potential of health costs and the older you get progressively tilts the financial advantage of Manchester (or anywhere else in the UK) over Bangkok.

That will only last till the NHS collapses under the weight of it's managers incompetence and mis spending. Speaking as one that worked for the NHS.

21 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The elephant in the room is the risk potential of health costs and the older you get progressively tilts the financial advantage of Manchester (or anywhere else in the UK) over Bangkok.

Yes, and a big elephant. Thing is, if you are not resident in the UK "officially"  for over about 18 months you lose the right to NHS treatment. Also if you are over 60 it is extremely difficult, or just plain too expensive, to get health insurance, so if you want to live somewhere warm for health reasons you are punished despite however much tax you have paid.

Maybe we have two elephants in the same room?