Rats, Rats, big as Pussy Cats

Saladin

Chiang Mai is infested with rats. It is not uncommon to see a rat scampering across the floor in even the best of restaurants. When taking a stroll along the moat in the vicinity of Tapae Gate and Loi Kroh Road you will disturb a bunch of the buggers every 30 metres or so wherever there is a pile of rubbish waiting to be collected. They are big and bold and you could easily trip on them. Are they a danger to health as I have always been taught and if so, what are the Chiang Mai health authorities doing about eradicating them?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just CM: they are everywhere in Bangkok and other cities/towns. As far as I know many Thais have a religious objection to killing vermin or stray dogs etc., even when they are dangerous.

I certainly dont like the idea of rats running on top of food in markets, which they do, and so I prefer to shop in Makro where hopefully things are somewhat cleaner: I've certainly never seen a rat in Makro. A lot of their produce arrives pre-wrapped in plastic and is sold without being opened.

Our cat came running in the house the other night ,

with a very big rat,still very much alive !,playing 

around with it,letting it go and catching it,then

she got bored with it,so by then i had gotten a

hammer and quickly dispatched it,(the rat).

One thing for sure,there are many,many more

rats in Chiang Mai,than humans,but thats the

case all over the World,

regards worgeordie

Yes well I would much rather have a small  furry creature scampering across the floor of a restaurant than a sea snake slithering across it which is what we had during dinner in a restaurant in the Fiji Islands 

sea snake.jpg

Rubbish, food waste, is left in plastic bags outside shops at 11 PM and isnt usually collected until 3-4-5 AM , by that time, the rates have eaten most of it and theres rubbish scattered around the bag , after having numerous rats run over my feet , I now always walk on the road .

I dont see why they dont get some plastic rubbish bins in to leave the rubbish in over night

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Rubbish, food waste, is left in plastic bags outside shops at 11 PM and isnt usually collected until 3-4-5 AM , by that time, the rates have eaten most of it and theres rubbish scattered around the bag , after having numerous rats run over my feet , I now always walk on the road .

I dont see why they dont get some plastic rubbish bins in to leave the rubbish in over night

Wheely bins, rather than just plastic bags, would certainly go a long way to controlling them, although I saw plenty of them when I was staying in Neutral Bay (Sydney) over Christmas. Neutral Bay is an up-market suburb on the North side of the Harbour Bridge. It just takes overloading of the bins or a chink in the armour and the rats thrive. In Sydney the wheely bins are not emptied frequently enough by the local councils and are always over-full.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Your right

I saw a link to a CM nightlife video posted in one of these threads...

Then I saw @ 18:40 exactly what your describing

Have to admit I was always in a truck or on a bike while living there so never saw this many

Must be a Rat Super Highway under the sidewalk

Edited by mania

8 hours ago, Saladin said:

Chiang Mai is infested with rats. It is not uncommon to see a rat scampering across the floor in even the best of restaurants. When taking a stroll along the moat in the vicinity of Tapae Gate and Loi Kroh Road you will disturb a bunch of the buggers every 30 metres or so wherever there is a pile of rubbish waiting to be collected. They are big and bold and you could easily trip on them. Are they a danger to health as I have always been taught and if so, what are the Chiang Mai health authorities doing about eradicating them?

No doubt many of the rats have been disturbed, as new buildings get under way behind Huay Kaew Rd.   A walk along these back streets shows all sizes of rats peering from under the dumped rubbish. 

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Rats were the cause of the Bubonic Plague,

I hate to be pedantic but the poor old rat gets a bad press over the ‘Black Death/Bubonic plague. It is not the rat which carries the virus but the infected fleas that furry animals carry!

Bubonic plague is mainly spread by infected fleas from small animals. It may also result from exposure to the body fluids from a dead plague infected animal or human being. In the bubonic form of plague, the bacteria enter through the skin through a flea bite and travel via the lymphatic vessels to a lymph node, causing it to swell

4 hours ago, Saladin said:

Wheely bins, rather than just plastic bags, would certainly go a long way to controlling them

We have enough obstructions on the so called pavements/sidewalks now!  Can you imagine a wheelie bin outside every door front and would the mobile food stalls tow their own wheelie bins away with them?

Wheelie bins are only collected in the UK, at best, once a week and in some places, depending on the green credentials of the bin only once a month!

I could only see them working here if they were put out every night, after midnight, and collected before 6AM daily. I would love to see it but I am not holding my breath!

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Not just CM: they are everywhere in Bangkok and other cities/towns. As far as I know many Thais have a religious objection to killing vermin or stray dogs etc., even when they are dangerous.

I certainly dont like the idea of rats running on top of food in markets, which they do, and so I prefer to shop in Makro where hopefully things are somewhat cleaner: I've certainly never seen a rat in Makro. A lot of their produce arrives pre-wrapped in plastic and is sold without being opened.

Yes, but it must have been in the open before it was pre- wrapped in plastic. but that's not to say there were rats on it, but

it is also not to say that they weren't.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I did, about a month ago.  they're everywhere.

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I hate to be pedantic but the poor old rat gets a bad press over the ‘Black Death/Bubonic plague. It is not the rat which carries the virus but the infected fleas that furry animals carry!

Bubonic plague is mainly spread by infected fleas from small animals. It may also result from exposure to the body fluids from a dead plague infected animal or human being. In the bubonic form of plague, the bacteria enter through the skin through a flea bite and travel via the lymphatic vessels to a lymph node, causing it to swell

To be even more precise the plague was due to humans. It was the waste and rubbish that infected the fleas....

I thought the story was going to refer to the politicians in the Chiang Mai area...lol

But That is another kind of rat anyhow.. but the rats that the story refers to are creepy critters no matter where you go and when you encounter them while rats instill fear in everyone...especially when they are encountered in numbers and large sizes as they can be vicious if they are cornered and need to defend themselves.

Fortunately, they scurry off  like the rats they are and known to do.

But rats, that go splat, and end up flat, like a door mat and under the tires of a motor vehicle are everyone's favorite kind of rat.

Cheers    

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Agree, in some places the rubbish is left for about a week, just walk around out there, the place stinks like an open sewer!

At the top of Nerm plab wan, there is a bar whose name belies its actual representation.

I used to go there quite a lot, as i lived close.Every night at a certain time, a bloody great Rat would walk down the awning rope and feed itself on what ever the owner had left out.It was a regular occurrence and the thing showed no fear of man.This bar had a baby crocodile in a tank, and i often wondered why the owner never fed the rat to the croc.His answer was hat he could never catch the rat, and if he did, he wasn't quite sure which animal would survive the ensuing fight.If you are reading this, and you know which bar i mean, please let me know if it is still there.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

At the top of Nerm plab wan, there is a bar whose name belies its actual representation.

I used to go there quite a lot, as i lived close.Every night at a certain time, a bloody great Rat would walk down the awning rope and feed itself on what ever the owner had left out.It was a regular occurrence and the thing showed no fear of man.This bar had a baby crocodile in a tank, and i often wondered why the owner never fed the rat to the croc.His answer was hat he could never catch the rat, and if he did, he wasn't quite sure which animal would survive the ensuing fight.If you are reading this, and you know which bar i mean, please let me know if it is still there.

Nice to see you are back.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I know one in nana that has lots of rats with lips but no baby crocodile.

Edited by Hutch68

On 2017/3/22 at 7:29 PM, Ricardo said:

I always hope that the rats help keep down the roaches  ...  :cool:

Rats keep down roaches? Never heard of. The cockroaches have a very bad smell so very few animals want to eat them.

But my big Arawana fish will gobble it down when I throw it into the fish tank. My fish gets a lot vitamins and essential oils from the cockroaches. That's why my fish has a beautiful shining scales.

You got cockroaches give me a call I come to collect them. For the rats send them to China they make meat dumplings and sell them to Japan.

Japanese were happily eating the dumplings until they saw the news.