Large vessels banned from fishing during spawning season

webfact

Large vessels banned from fishing during spawning season

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg          

Experts say that protecting young fish is essential, because it can help replenish fish stocks to later be harvested by the fishing industry. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Large fishing vessels will be banned from working in the southern Andaman Sea during the spawning season, from April 1 to June 30, the Fisheries Department announced yesterday.

About 4,696 square kilometers of fishing space will be closed off in Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi and Trang.

“According to our research, most marine life in the Andaman breeds between April and June. This is a vulnerable time for the marine ecosystem, as many juveniles and breeding adults can be caught,” says Saen Sringam, chief of the Krabi Fishery.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Large-vessels-banned-fishing-during-spawning-season/66400?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-03-23

Along with the Aussie Jet Skier rightfully being allowed to go home, this is two common sense stories I have read in the last half an hour.

Conservation must be quite a hard sell in Thailand. Many Thais will take 500 Baht today, rather than an offer of 2,000 next week, so telling them to stop fishing, so there will be more in the future could be tough.

Fair play and while I hope to see more of the same, I can't shake the niggling feeling that some pure idiocy is just around the corner. It wouldn't be Thailand if not.