Does UK Recognise Civil Partnerships for Perm Visa?

I've been with my GF for 6 years and though I don't want to marry her, I do want to take her with me back to the UK.  Needless to say I don't want to have to faff around with regular visa applications and was wondering whether she could get the same long term visa that a married individual could get.

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that you are female; the UK does not allow civil partnerships between males and females; only same sex couples.

It depends on where you formed your civil partnership.

The law in the UK regarding foreign civil partnerships is the same as for foreign marriages; if it is legal in the country where it was registered, then it is legal in the UK.

For a marriage to be legal in Thailand it must be registered at an ampur. Unless the law has recently changed, you cannot register a civil partnership at an ampur in Thailand.

But:

40 minutes ago, Marcoose said:

I've been with my GF for 6 years

If you have been living with her in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years then she can apply as your unmarried partner. No need for a civil partnership.

43 minutes ago, Marcoose said:

Needless to say I don't want to have to faff around with regular visa applications and was wondering whether she could get the same long term visa that a married individual could get.

If she is your civil partner or qualifies as your unmarried partner then yes, she can. But you will still have to 'faff around' with a visa application!

See Apply to join family living permanently in the UK

You may also find the pinned topic UK settlement visa basics useful, though it is a little out of date.

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I'm assuming that you are female; the UK does not allow civil partnerships between males and females; only same sex couples.

It depends on where you formed your civil partnership.

The law in the UK regarding foreign civil partnerships is the same as for foreign marriages; if it is legal in the country where it was registered, then it is legal in the UK.

For a marriage to be legal in Thailand it must be registered at an ampur. Unless the law has recently changed, you cannot register a civil partnership at an ampur in Thailand.

But:

If you have been living with her in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years then she can apply as your unmarried partner. No need for a civil partnership.

If she is your civil partner or qualifies as your unmarried partner then yes, she can. But you will still have to 'faff around' with a visa application!

See Apply to join family living permanently in the UK

You may also find the pinned topic UK settlement visa basics useful, though it is a little out of date.

Do you have any idea what supporting documentation they will require as part of the application?  We have been living together the whole time but tenancy agreements were always in my name.  I can show money going through her account via my bank account since pretty much day one and of course we have many photos from over the years.

Have you applied yourself - is it reams of application forms that would require an agent to help with or?  Also, does it need to be done from Thailand, or can I get her over on some other visa while the application goes through?

I was planning on returning to the UK at the end of the year and would love to have it all arranged by then.

Thanks again.

PS.  I'm male

Here is a link to the info you need:

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/you-re-the-family-member-or-partner-of-a-british-citizen/no/partner/you-re-still-with-your-partner

1 hour ago, Marcoose said:

Do you have any idea what supporting documentation they will require as part of the application?  We have been living together the whole time but tenancy agreements were always in my name.  I can show money going through her account via my bank account since pretty much day one and of course we have many photos from over the years.

Have you applied yourself - is it reams of application forms that would require an agent to help with or?  Also, does it need to be done from Thailand, or can I get her over on some other visa while the application goes through?

I was planning on returning to the UK at the end of the year and would love to have it all arranged by then.

You don't need a visa company. If you use one you will still end up doing 90% of the work. The visa you need is a Settlement visa which is marriage visa with a different name. The main difference is you have to prove you've been living together for more than two years. Your GF will need a TB test and a language test. You will need a salary of at least £18600 pa.

Easily doable by the end of the year.

Any documents that show you are living in a relationship 'akin' to marriage. Jointly addressed documents, documents (eg bank books/statements) addressed to you or your partner at the same address are suitable. Financial commitments such as car loans that indicate you are living together.

Everything helps!

2 hours ago, Marcoose said:

PS.  I'm male

Then your girlfriend cannot apply as your civil partner. So it's either an unmarried partner if you can show she qualifies as such or you marry her and she applies as your spouse.

2 hours ago, Marcoose said:

Do you have any idea what supporting documentation they will require as part of the application?  We have been living together the whole time but tenancy agreements were always in my name

to show that you have been living together for at least the past two years, i suggest: 

• Letters addressed to each of you or you both jointly at the same address covering the period.
  • Ditto for utility bills, mobile phone bills etc.
  • Who is named on the tabien bahn?
  • Any other documents, official or otherwise, addressed to either of you or you both jointly, such as letters to you from Thai immigration, the address on her ID card etc..

You will also need the specified evidence to show that the financial requirement is met, and evidence that you will be adequately accommodated once in the UK without recourse to public funds. Plus her TB certificate and English certificate, see the UKVI page linked to for how to obtain those.

30 minutes ago, rasg said:

NO!!!!

That link is about applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain! Which is called settlement by UKVI. As it says on that page

Eligibility

You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

• 2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012
  • 5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012

(7by7 emphasis)

Marcoose, your girlfriend will be on the five year route to settlement, so the sequence is:

21 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Then your girlfriend cannot apply as your civil partner. So it's either an unmarried partner if you can show she qualifies as such or you marry her and she applies as your spouse.

to show that you have been living together for at least the past two years, i suggest: 

• Letters addressed to each of you or you both jointly at the same address covering the period.
  • Ditto for utility bills, mobile phone bills etc.
  • Who is named on the tabien bahn?
  • Any other documents, official or otherwise, addressed to either of you or you both jointly, such as letters to you from Thai immigration, the address on her ID card etc..

You will also need the specified evidence to show that the financial requirement is met, and evidence that you will be adequately accommodated once in the UK without recourse to public funds. Plus her TB certificate and English certificate, see the UKVI page linked to for how to obtain those.

NO!!!!

That link is about applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain! Which is called settlement by UKVI. As it says on that page

Marcoose, your girlfriend will be on the five year route to settlement, so the sequence is:

7by7 - I don't suppose you provide services where you can help is with the application?  It sounds like you know what you're taking about.  I really hate the idea of being married (call it a phobia) even with a prenup and would love to be able to get it sorted on the basis you explained above.

31 minutes ago, Marcoose said:

7by7 - I don't suppose you provide services where you can help is with the application?  It sounds like you know what you're taking about.

I am not a professional advisor, and any advice i offer here is based upon my reading and interpretation of the various UKVI guidance and the immigration rules.

Furthermore, as I live in the UK I cannot legally offer such a service as I am not registered with the OISC.

If you wish to avail of such a service, I recommend Thai Visa Express. I know both Paul and Tony and know them to be reliable, professional and trustworthy. As far as I know, they are also the only visa agent in Thailand who are registered with the OISC in the UK..

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I am not a professional advisor, and any advice i offer here is based upon my reading and interpretation of the various UKVI guidance and the immigration rules.

Furthermore, as I live in the UK I cannot legally offer such a service as I am not registered with the OISC.

If you wish to avail of such a service, I recommend Thai Visa Express. I know both Paul and Tony and know them to be reliable, professional and trustworthy. As far as I know, they are also the only visa agent in Thailand who are registered with the OISC in the UK..

Great. Thanks for the recommendation.