Baby On Overstay

Hello to all,Ive just returned from a close friend's Thai restaurant and found out that their baby(less than a year old,and a U.S.citizen) has been in Thailand since Jan.25 on a 3 entry tourist visa,but was only stamped in at BKK till Mar.24! The Thai consulate here

(New Orleans) did not explain to the parents, (She is Thai native,but U.S citizen, "Sue" is her name, He is a Thai citizen, "Sam" is his name here on green card) that the baby must leave Tland

every 60 days to activate the 2nd/ 3rd visa.Sam and Sue did not notice this(the

Mar.24 "admitted until" stamp) till just recently,thinking all along that The 6 months for the baby was "automatic".

To make matters worse,Sam has just returned to the U.S.(sans baby,who is under the guardianship of its grandmother

in Surat Thani province.) However Sue,will be returning to Tland in a couple of weeks,(alone,while Sam remains here to manage the restaurant)

In other words Sam could have taken care of this while still in Tland,but its too late for that now. Also,its my understanding that the grandmother is elderly and has no knowledge of the situation. What should/ can they do either now while both in U.S.or when Sue arrives back in Tland (she will only be staying for 3 weeks on a 30 day entry permit) ? and yes they're legally married and were before the baby was born. All

I could say was that the baby should have certain rights because Sam is a Thai citizen..They want the baby to remain in Thailand for the duration of the 6month period. Please can anybody help?

Hello to all,Ive just returned from a close friend's Thai restaurant and found out that their baby(less than a year old,and a U.S.citizen) has been in Thailand since Jan.25 on a 3 entry tourist visa,but was only stamped in at BKK till Mar.24! The Thai consulate here

(New Orleans) did not explain to the parents, (She is Thai native,but U.S citizen, "Sue" is her name, He is a Thai citizen, "Sam" is his name here on green card) that the baby must leave Tland

every 60 days to activate the 2nd/ 3rd visa.Sam and Sue did not notice this(the

Mar.24 "admitted until" stamp) till just recently,thinking all along that The 6 months for the baby was "automatic".

To make matters worse,Sam has just returned to the U.S.(sans baby,who is under the guardianship of its grandmother

in Surat Thani province.) However Sue,will be returning to Tland in a couple of weeks,(alone,while Sam remains here to manage the restaurant)

In other words Sam could have taken care of this while still in Tland,but its too late for that now. Also,its my understanding that the grandmother is elderly and has no knowledge of the situation. What should/ can they do either now while both in U.S.or when Sue arrives back in Tland (she will only be staying for 3 weeks on a 30 day entry permit) ? and yes they're legally married and were before the baby was born. All

I could say was that the baby should have certain rights because Sam is a Thai citizen..They want the baby to remain in Thailand for the duration of the 6month period. Please can anybody help?

Up until the child is 7 years of age, the Immigration officers are very accommodating. The mother should ask them for advice on arrival.

As said there is no problem for baby. You might also advise Sam that Sue has every right to have a Thai passport and then she would not have to bother with visa issues when coming into Thailand (she could use the Thai passport to enter/leave Thailand as any other Thai citizen).

As said there is no problem for baby. You might also advise Sam that Sue has every right to have a Thai passport and then she would not have to bother with visa issues when coming into Thailand (she could use the Thai passport to enter/leave Thailand as any other Thai citizen).

Dual nationality is not a problem for the US or Thailand. The baby could also have duality.

Years ago when leaving Thailand w my 11 y/o daughter and paying for overstay at the airport, I was surprised to find that she didn't have to pay the 200B/day overstay penalty as I did. Bot of us have a passport from the same country. I have no idea why ... maybe penalties are not the same for minors as they are supposed to be under the care of adults.

Zmegs:

Hi! Is this you?

I took my 11 year old daughter out of Don Muang on 16 April 2004. She had overstayed some 3 months on her US passport due to schooling.

When we reached the overstay desk at Don Muang, I noticed a large sign behind the desk that says "Children under 17 traveling with parents are not subject to overstay fines."

I paid NO fines and she left with me.

EPC

QUOTE (lopburi3 @ Mon 2004-05-03, 09:11:14)

Dual nationality is not a problem for the US or Thailand. The baby could also have duality.

Is that due to the mother being Thai?

how about if both parents are non thai but baby born here in thailand?

any rights then?

CT

Sorry to interrupt the personal chat (see above) is PM for that??

That's ok CTG. What's a PM? We are both new to the internet. And as I understand it, one of the parents must be Thai in order to get citizenship automatically.

Zmegs:

I am not crazy about the new set up but it is early on. Z Z might get more work.

QUOTE (lopburi3 @ Mon 2004-05-03, 09:11:14)

Is that due to the mother being Thai?

how about if both parents are non thai but baby born here in thailand?

any rights then?

CT

Sorry to interrupt the personal chat (see above) is PM for that??

Any child under 7 is forgiven. Irrespective of its passport or the nationality of the parents.