Jomtien Beach dogs?

Guderian

I had a walk a few days ago on the footpath from soi 5 to the night market on JomtienBeach and I was surprised to see no dogs at all. In the past there were lots of them, dogs that clearly belonged to the deck chair vendors plus, every hundred yards or so, a soi dog lounging in the shade. So what’s happened to all the dogs down at JomtienBeach? Has the council banned them, or have the Cambodian workers been helping themselves to a quick meal?

17 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Has the council banned them, or have the Cambodian workers been helping themselves to a quick meal?

Probably a bit of both  the local council does occasionally round up the strays  and there are certainly a lot of construction workers at those big projects towards the south end..also if it was Wednesday no deck chair day there would be fewer "feeders"  so the dogs maybe found a shady place to lounge around all day out of sight.

Edited by johng

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Probably a bit of both  the local council does occasionally round up the strays  and there are certainly a lot of construction workers at those big projects towards the south end..also if it was Wednesday no deck chair day there would be fewer "feeders"  so the dogs maybe found a shady place to lounge around all day out of sight.

It was last Sunday I went, lots of people but no hounds. A mate who lives right by the beach and walks there every day says he's noticed much the same thing, the dogs seem to have vanished.

22 minutes ago, Guderian said:

the dogs seem to have vanished.

Excellent now all the responsible owners can bring their dogs for a walk  on the beach without having to worry about being attacked by rabid vermin  and  maybe use up some of the free plastic bags as  "pooper scoopers"   :lol:

1 minute ago, johng said:

Excellent now all the responsible owners can bring their dogs for a walk  on the beach without having to worry about being attacked by rabid vermin  and  maybe use up some of the free plastic bags as  "pooper scoopers"   :lol:

Yes, I'd like to walk my small dog down there but with all the big strays, some of them very territorial even when it comes to people, never mind other dogs, I only went a few times.

most of the dogs I see are over on the new Jomtien 2nd road and round the back roads up to Sukh via what used  to be some  lovely ponds now being filled in to build the much needed Condos in the area. !!!

I see foreigners and Thais feeding them at  all times of the day....about 6 times a day, up to 20 dogs in a pack.

Go up those roads at night and I bet you will see at least 40 to 50 dogs at least. 

They are an absolute  menace if you are on a bicycle, walking, jogging and also a motorbike. Mentioned countless times on TV. For me the Cambodians should eat more of  the mangy mutts - and before I get flamed - I am dog and cat lover......misplaced charity for sure.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Guderian said:

I had a walk a few days ago on the footpath from soi 5 to the night market on JomtienBeach and I was surprised to see no dogs at all. In the past there were lots of them, dogs that clearly belonged to the deck chair vendors plus, every hundred yards or so, a soi dog lounging in the shade. So what’s happened to all the dogs down at JomtienBeach? Has the council banned them, or have the Cambodian workers been helping themselves to a quick meal?

Hopefully someone is making a big old batch of Gaeng Om!

Years ago, my wife and I were staying for a couple of nights in Mae Hong Song. We went out to the town centre for a meal and a drink and had to walk back along a small back road to our hotel late at night.

At first we noticed a couple of these mangy scab ridden swine hounds following us. Within less than 5 minutes we were pursued by a pack of about 20 of these filthy creatures and they were baying for blood.

I had never seen anything like it and will admit I was crapping myself. The wife was a quicker thinker than me and she told me to look for a stick.

I found a piece of tree about 4 feet long and two inches thick, once I swung that, the filthy mutts did a runner!

It was only a little later that I tapped the stick on the road and it fell to bits like powder - A bit like the Billy Connely story about breaking a bottle of Irn Bru to try and bottle someone and being left with only the bottle cap in your hand.

Edited by Formaleins

On 3/24/2017 at 2:04 PM, johng said:

Now that is what I call an environmentalist!! Congrats

I lived in Jomtien from 2010 - 2013. Some farang was driving around in a little teal blue pick-up feeding packs of dogs. He thinks he is doing the world a favour, and even has signs on the truck soliciting donations. I often wanted to tell him to take the dogs to his place and feed them there.

3 hours ago, allane said:

I lived in Jomtien from 2010 - 2013. Some farang was driving around in a little teal blue pick-up feeding packs of dogs. He thinks he is doing the world a favour, and even has signs on the truck soliciting donations. I often wanted to tell him to take the dogs to his place and feed them there.

Get others to help fatten em up and then crate them for Viet Nam. 

5 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Years ago, my wife and I were staying for a couple of nights in Mae Hong Song. We went out to the town centre for a meal and a drink and had to walk back along a small back road to our hotel late at night.

At first we noticed a couple of these mangy scab ridden swine hounds following us. Within less than 5 minutes we were pursued by a pack of about 20 of these filthy creatures and they were baying for blood.

I had never seen anything like it and will admit I was crapping myself. The wife was a quicker thinker than me and she told me to look for a stick.

I found a piece of tree about 4 feet long and two inches thick, once I swung that, the filthy mutts did a runner!

It was only a little later that I tapped the stick on the road and it fell to bits like powder - A bit like the Billy Connely story about breaking a bottle of Irn Bru to try and bottle someone and being left with only the bottle cap in your hand.

I have had a few run ins with the mangy dog packs myself.

As soon as you make like you are picking up a rock or stick or branch or weapon of some sort they scatter....but I noticed there is always an Alpha male that sort of stands its ground before finally backing off.

As long as they are fed well enough they are just doing their dogs will be dogs and natural "doggity dog"  conduct....but they can turn vicious sometimes and run you down and attack you depending on the circumstances.

And a good number of people are bit by dogs having rabies and other infections that can be life threatening.

But Thailand being the way it is, they more or less let the dogs be and do their dog things until it really gets out of hand and then they finally do something about it.

21 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

most of the dogs I see are over on the new Jomtien 2nd road and round the back roads up to Sukh via what used  to be some  lovely ponds now being filled in to build the much needed Condos in the area. !!!

I see foreigners and Thais feeding them at  all times of the day....about 6 times a day, up to 20 dogs in a pack.

Go up those roads at night and I bet you will see at least 40 to 50 dogs at least. 

They are an absolute  menace if you are on a bicycle, walking, jogging and also a motorbike. Mentioned countless times on TV. For me the Cambodians should eat more of  the mangy mutts - and before I get flamed - I am dog and cat lover......misplaced charity for sure.

There's long been dogs up that road and by the lakes that take exception to motorbikes for some reason or other. I drove up there a few days ago and stopped at the new Family Mart by the Dusit condo to get a drink, Three dogs roaming the small car park, one of them eying me suspiciously as he could probably smell my dog on me. Lots more dogs in the street between the Dusit and Park. People are evidently moving into the new condos now as there were several family groups walking along the road back towards Rompho market. Probably only a matter of time before somebody gets bitten there.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

They are an absolute  menace if you are on a bicycle,

Yes they are and especially if your in a small village where there seems to be more of them. I spent a year in a small village and soon learned which streets not to cycle down. They were lurking there. 

I had a meal at Momento Beach last night with the GF and decided afterwards to take the bike for a spin down the new concrete road they've built between soi 8 and Thepprasit, past the D'Luck theatre. Blimey, that was a mistake, there must be over 50 dogs living on that large tract of land in three or four packs, and they were aggressive. I got out of there right sharpish. Avoid that area at night unless you enjoy getting rabies shots!