Noisy Bird!!

foxboy

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

We get lots of these birds... and also black winged stilts, on the abandoned rice fields next to my house.  I love hearing them and watching them going about their business.  Its like a nature documentary sometimes around here!!! 

The bird noises never bother me... even the owls and Asian Koel birds.  My rooster make a racket.. but even they don't wake me up or disturb my sleep, but I do wake up if the birds are making a different noise, like alarm calls... because some predator is about. 

The only noise I can't stand is the 5am loud speakers from the temple.. which rattle our windows and vibrate the walls for several hours.  And the new Indian Meditation place playing Bollywood style music and blowing trumpets all afternoon several times a week at full volume which can be heard over the TV!!!

Give me nature sounds over human 'music' any day.

Move, Easy, Nice way to change a thread about wildlife into your own personal gripe.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, grollies said:

Might solve your pigeon problem?

My Thoughts exactly, actually  the pigeons arent a problem yet but they really are  spreading like wildfire in Thailand  and will become a problem as the stupid locals  leave food everywhere for the   ruddy  dogs and in turn the rats and pigeons

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

We get lots of these birds... and also black winged stilts, on the abandoned rice fields next to my house.  I love hearing them and watching them going about their business.  Its like a nature documentary sometimes around here!!! 

The bird noises never bother me... even the owls and Asian Koel birds.  My rooster make a racket.. but even they don't wake me up or disturb my sleep, but I do wake up if the birds are making a different noise, like alarm calls... because some predator is about. 

The only noise I can't stand is the 5am loud speakers from the temple.. which rattle our windows and vibrate the walls for several hours.  And the new Indian Meditation place playing Bollywood style music and blowing trumpets all afternoon several times a week at full volume which can be heard over the TV!!!

Give me nature sounds over human 'music' any day.

I "fixed" the  village speaker system they installed recently by my  house,  it  will take them months to repair  it, if  ever.

8 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

They are shy

Yes, and although in the past I've found photos of them, I've never been able to see one in real life.

So I'm grateful for Wallet37's little movie. That's my baby :heart_001:

13 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Yes, I think you're right. I think the OP is hearing a nok-ga-wao (that's how I'd transliterate its Thai name).

Otherwise known as a common koel I believe.

But I love its bird-song :heart_001: so exuberant. Absolutely one of my favourite sounds of Thailand.

no definitely not the Asian Koel, I know that familiar sound. Loud as they are, they only squawk by day. My bird seems to prefer squawking through the night

1 hour ago, foxboy said:

no definitely not the Asian Koel, I know that familiar sound. Loud as they are, they only squawk by day. My bird seems to prefer squawking through the night

ah the old "my birds  different" eh :smile:

15 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Yes, and although in the past I've found photos of them, I've never been able to see one in real life.

So I'm grateful for Wallet37's little movie. That's my baby :heart_001:

Actually there are so many near my wifes' small plot (12 rai) (I call it ours but that is forbidden lol) They are easily spooked so I see them from a hundred metres away if I sneak up on them. One poster said they are only making the noise now but that is not my experience. They love my neighbours tapioca farm. 6 rai next to jack fruit and bamboo. I planted 100 bananas over the last few days and they are calling from there. They remind me of the noise made by plovers in Aust.

For me the worst sounds come from fruit bats. Sudden burst of screams in the middle of the night. Sounds like someone is being killed.

During the moderately quiet night it sounds way worse than in the video. No wonder many are afraid of the ghosts :)

On 24/03/2017 at 1:26 PM, foxboy said:

This bird is driving me crazy. It chirps ALL night long incessantly. I recorded this clip on my iPhone at 1am this morning. It usually carries on for most of the night and through the day too. 

I am hoping someone can identify it then I can research it. I'd like to know what times of the year it is likely to be resident, because if it's a permanent fixture I need to find a new room. I can block out lots of 'Thai' noises, but not this for some reason. I've not slept properly in months :saai:

mystery bird.mov

Also known as Drongo

On 3/24/2017 at 1:54 PM, Wallet73 said:

Be glad it's not an asian koel, i had one under my window.... it's the most annoying bird in the world. I truly hate it. Just google for most annoying bird in the world and it hits the first page!

I have the same near me. Annoying

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Lamkyong said:

never heard a frog making that noise   but i am willing to be reeducated

having said that i think you are having us on    sounds very much like human whistling 

My Alarm Clock they crank up around 04.30am,  when I first saw them I thought they were crows,  As soon as dawn break it moves on about it's business, & Arrives back @ 6.45pm,

Yeah live n let live will take picture of them next time,

Have a relaxing Sunday

2 hours ago, jack2964 said:

I think that audio clip in the OP is that of a Plaintive cuckoo. Probably breeding season now and they get very vocal. 

Still better than having an Asian koel perched next to your bedroom window.

Link: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Cacomantis-merulinus

Yep, Plaintive Cuckoo is it.  I hadn't been able to listen to the recording for a while, glad that jack got there in the meantime.  MB

I love to hear the chippers in the morning. No trees close so I do not get the full loudspeaker effect one hears in the recordings. They are my alarm clock. When the birds stop doing their thing (In the case of the recordings that was shrill) you know someone has put their fat little finger on the red button. 

On 24/03/2017 at 9:59 PM, xvend said:

This is correct, its the angry bird, and they get angry especially when they have children.  They are great birds, especially if you live on a big piece of land. They alert you of visitors. Even more cool about them, you can make friends with them. They will recognize you as not a threat.

The Australian plover is a lapwing, maybe a different type though, and they are a big threat when they have chicks. They will dive bomb your head with the spur on their legs. They will even work in pairs where one will distract you while the mate come in from behind. Not my favourite bird.

Be thankful you can still hear wildlife, even if annoying.

Planet earth is losing hundreds of various wildlife species a day.

A time may come when all wildlife may be silent.  :sleepy:

On March 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM, foxboy said:

This bird is driving me crazy. It chirps ALL night long incessantly. I recorded this clip on my iPhone at 1am this morning. It usually carries on for most of the night and through the day too. 

I am hoping someone can identify it then I can research it. I'd like to know what times of the year it is likely to be resident, because if it's a permanent fixture I need to find a new room. I can block out lots of 'Thai' noises, but not this for some reason. I've not slept properly in months :saai:

mystery bird.mov

I have the fan running all night which drowns the outside noises .During the day and early evening those grasshoppers (Jacajan)that live in the trees and sparrows are annoying too

had a koel that loved to sing behind me starting at 4 am. After one month of this noise (could even hear slightly with ear plugs), saw my Thai neighbors cutting down two beautiful extremely tall mango trees. This was their solution...yes, the bird went away but also the shade, a bit overkill I thought.

On 24/03/2017 at 8:29 PM, grollies said:

Rained here last few days. The frog cacophony is fantastic.

The most annoying bird here is the 'watchadoin' bird. Haven't ID'd it yet.

Every time I do something it's flying around shouting 'watchadoin?' I sometimes wonder.......

:biggrin:

Sounds very much like its Cousin, "Eck are we".  Every time I get lost there's this bird who keeps shouting out, "Where the eck are we?"

I miss the Asian Koel here outside my Issaan village. hardly hear one a few days/year.

What really annoys me are the roosters in the village, luckily none around my house for the last 10 years. But more and more houses are built within 300m. The end is near I am afraid...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, Oxx said:

I suspect it's an Asian Drongo Cuckoo (Surniculus lugubris).

There's a recording of its call at http://www.birding2asia.com/Sounds/Thailand/KrungChing09/AsianDrongoCuckoo.mp3

9 hours ago, jack2964 said:

I think that audio clip in the OP is that of a Plaintive cuckoo. Probably breeding season now and they get very vocal. 

Still better than having an Asian koel perched next to your bedroom window.

Link: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Cacomantis-merulinus

YES, YES, YES! You guys have nailed it! 

These are definitely the same sounds as my bird. I've not managed to actually see it yet, but it's one of these cuckoos for sure. Thank you so much, I can get researching them now. Thanks again :smile:

6 hours ago, riclag said:

I have the fan running all night which drowns the outside noises .During the day and early evening those grasshoppers (Jacajan)that live in the trees and sparrows are annoying too

My fan is too new and quiet.. I had an old 'rattly' one. Wish I'd kept it now :laugh:

39 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

You think you have problems. We have a resedent Tok ker. It has moved in our aluminum gutters, It has found that it amplifies its call. It does it most of the night.

I stayed in Trat at the wife's Dad's house last year. My first introduction to the 'Tok Ker'. That coupled with the rock hard bed I was invited to sleep in, meant I did anything but sleep. I spent the whole night imagining what creature could possibly make such a sound. I spotted it in the morning nesting in the eaves over the bedroom window. Nice looking reptile, but what a racket! How anyone can sleep through that I will never know. You have my sympathy for sure :wink:

4 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Sounds very much like its Cousin, "Eck are we".  Every time I get lost there's this bird who keeps shouting out, "Where the eck are we?"

We had a tribe in America back in the day The F- - - owwies.