Noisy Bird!!

foxboy

1 hour ago, foxboy said:

I stayed in Trat at the wife's Dad's house last year. My first introduction to the 'Tok Ker'. That coupled with the rock hard bed I was invited to sleep in, meant I did anything but sleep. I spent the whole night imagining what creature could possibly make such a sound. I spotted it in the morning nesting in the eaves over the bedroom window. Nice looking reptile, but what a racket! How anyone can sleep through that I will never know. You have my sympathy for sure :wink:

upair- upair -upair- upair

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/24/2017 at 2:02 PM, foxboy said:

Haha I've got a Koel Bird as well, but at least he restricts his annoying chirps to daylight hours! 

I must have a small horde of them, they start at 2am and run until around 8am. I was always wondering what bird that was - thanks @foxboy for the videos!

11 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

You think you have problems. We have a resedent Tok ker. It has moved in our aluminum gutters, It has found that it amplifies its call. It does it most of the night.

I love the Tokay Geckos. They are noisy enough to startle me even if I have on a headset watching a movie, but there is something about there call that I find fascinating. I had a resident Tokay on the back wall of the master bath for a few years, but he has since moved on. 

I'm pretty sure its those big black birds that looks like crows making the sound, I hear it almost daily as well and seen them cry in the morning and I'm pretty sure its the black black bird - at least at my house they are the guilty one.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:47 AM, oilinki said:

For me the worst sounds come from fruit bats. Sudden burst of screams in the middle of the night. Sounds like someone is being killed.

During the moderately quiet night it sounds way worse than in the video. No wonder many are afraid of the ghosts :)

Where do you live? I haven't seen many bats at all in Thailand, and certainly not a fruit bat.

I agree with the other posts who say it's a Koel we have them here in the North and have heard them in Kuala Lumphur also they used to visit Sydney in the summer calling during the night

Often one will call to another for hours there are worse noises such as the early morning loudspeaker announcements

16 hours ago, foxboy said:

YES, YES, YES! You guys have nailed it! 

These are definitely the same sounds as my bird. I've not managed to actually see it yet, but it's one of these cuckoos for sure. Thank you so much, I can get researching them now. Thanks again :smile:

Yes, that's definitely the one. Asian Drongo Cuckoo.

I don't know why but its constant repetitive call drives me crazy!!!

On 3/26/2017 at 10:29 AM, jack2964 said:

Still better than having an Asian koel perched next to your bedroom window.

Don't remind me , it's still there after 4 weeks. Am I getting used to it ? Nope. 

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I agree with the other posts who say it's a Koel we have them here in the North and have heard them in Kuala Lumphur also they used to visit Sydney in the summer calling during the night

Often one will call to another for hours there are worse noises such as the early morning loudspeaker announcements

While the Asian Koel is another prolific and much louder night singer, the bird of the OP's recording is a Plaintive Cuckoo, NOT a Koel nor Drongo Cuckoo. For anyone interested in birds, birding, birdwatching and/or basic ornithology, there is a thread called Birds In Your Garden which can be found here:

2 hours ago, smccolley said:

Where do you live? I haven't seen many bats at all in Thailand, and certainly not a fruit bat.

I live in Phuket. That was an example of the creepy sounds the fruit bats make during nights.

3 hours ago, smccolley said:

FYI...SE Asia has the highest number of bat species of anywhere in the world. Thailand has at least 138 different species of bat, which comprises more than 10% of all known bat species!

Fruit bats are very common and without them there wouldn't be many of our favorite fruits and veggies, nor the abundance of said fruits and veggies not only here in Thailand, but around the world.

I see bats every night here in BKK. All one has to do is look in proper places, like parks, over lakes, ponds and klongs or even just over a streetlight. In more rural areas they much more abundant. :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, foxboy said:

YES, YES, YES! You guys have nailed it! 

These are definitely the same sounds as my bird. I've not managed to actually see it yet, but it's one of these cuckoos for sure. Thank you so much, I can get researching them now. Thanks again :smile:

You're quite obviously not drinking enough in the evenings. :tongue:

But, hey, well done to the TV guys helping out! :clap2:

2 hours ago, grollies said:

You're quite obviously not drinking enough in the evenings. :tongue:

But, hey, well done to the TV guys helping out! :clap2:

Haha your analysis is spot on Grollies.. weirdly it doesn't bother me at all when I've had a skinful lol :drunk: 

Now then, earplugs or singha.. hmm, never have liked earplugs :tongue:

1 hour ago, foxboy said:

Haha your analysis is spot on Grollies.. weirdly it doesn't bother me at all when I've had a skinful lol :drunk: 

Now then, earplugs or singha.. hmm, never have liked earplugs :tongue:

Now then, to all the above complaining about tokgers, tokkays, or whatever you want to call them:

They're our friends, they eat flies, mozzies, etc, are beautiful to look at and will talk back to you. Try copying their call!!

Tookger, tookger, errrr, errr, er.

Sorry, had too much Leo (so I can sleep through all the noise tonight).

But really, I find it hard to sleep without these sounds of the countryside. The only thing that kept me awake was my bloody dogs, who will bark at the sound of a frog fart. Lock them in the outside kitchen now.

Sleep tight guys!

Sorry Gollins Although I agree with you.  The Thai mother in law . The enforcer says it's got to go. And as us worldly men know. When the Thai mother in law speaks the ground shakes. Although I like the sounds I have to Obay. So it's the hose pipe to night to encorage the to ker to move on .

Edited by Thongkorn