Noisy Bird!!

foxboy

This bird is driving me crazy. It chirps ALL night long incessantly. I recorded this clip on my iPhone at 1am this morning. It usually carries on for most of the night and through the day too. 

I am hoping someone can identify it then I can research it. I'd like to know what times of the year it is likely to be resident, because if it's a permanent fixture I need to find a new room. I can block out lots of 'Thai' noises, but not this for some reason. I've not slept properly in months :saai:

mystery bird.mov

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be glad it's not an asian koel, i had one under my window.... it's the most annoying bird in the world. I truly hate it. Just google for most annoying bird in the world and it hits the first page!

Edited by Wallet73

Ha ha! It's the same bl**dy bird I recorded on 17th March 2015. I sent the recording to a twitcher friend I know in the UK but he could not identify it.

My bl**dy bird is also back again, so I assume that this is the time of year that it best loves to annoy people. Can't remember hearing it last year. Hopefully it will move off again somewhere else soon.

6 minutes ago, Wallet73 said:

Be glad it's not an asian koel, i had one under my window.... it's the most annoying bird in the world. I truly hate it. Just google for most annoying bird in the world and it hits the first page!

Haha I've got a Koel Bird as well, but at least he restricts his annoying chirps to daylight hours! 

There was a bird that took up residence at our house that made really loud noises at night for a period of a few months.  I had terrible insomnia from that bird waking me up.  It was louder than any other bird I've ever heard.

I finally got in the habit of going outside and throwing something at it when it woke me in the night, since it wasn't going to stop anytime soon and I wasn't sleeping with that noise going on.  Eventually it probably felt unwelcome and moved on.

Ive saved a few of the Koels round here, nothing wrong with "natural sounds" fortunately the newly installed  village loudspeaker system of govt daily indoctrination has " mysteriously" broken ( ahem)

Nice bird, Black with red eyes  here, had one smash into the side of the  house and I had to resuscitate it, it was fine after 20  minutes and flew  off, Pigeons.......I  wring their  bloody  necks

56 minutes ago, kannot said:

Ive saved a few of the Koels round here, nothing wrong with "natural sounds" fortunately the newly installed  village loudspeaker system of govt daily indoctrination has " mysteriously" broken ( ahem)

Nice bird, Black with red eyes  here, had one smash into the side of the  house and I had to resuscitate it, it was fine after 20  minutes and flew  off, Pigeons.......I  wring their  bloody  necks

Nice one Dick

images-41.jpg

I think this is your culprit. English name Red Wattled Lapwing. Sound of bird starts around :50. It's incessant nighttime crying isn't year round. If you've been hearing it for a couple of months, suspect it should be ending before long. According to video written narrative (:50), recording made during nesting season. 

Edited by Gecko123

4 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

It might be a frog.

Our tree frogs, those funny round brown toads and some of the very small frog type's that we get around ours can create some of the strangest sounds. Just a thought. Got lots of the koel birds around but never hear them on a night.

14 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think this is your culprit. English name Red Wattled Lapwing. Sound of bird starts around :50. It's incessant nighttime crying isn't year round. If you've been hearing it for a couple of months, suspect it should be ending before long. 

I was slightly encouraged reading that, but having listened to this bird, whilst sounding equally annoying, this isn't the one unfortunately. But thanks for the input. 

Fingers crossed someone will work it out 

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think this is your culprit. English name Red Wattled Lapwing. Sound of bird starts around :50. It's incessant nighttime crying isn't year round. If you've been hearing it for a couple of months, suspect it should be ending before long. According to video written narrative (:50), recording made during nesting season. 

Got  loads of these  here, they fly  round the land at night, lovely  bird..................recently have a had a BLOODY  BIG eagle appear, Im dying to get a  photo of it and identify it it really is BIG........hope some local winker doesnt  kill it

Rained here last few days. The frog cacophony is fantastic.

The most annoying bird here is the 'watchadoin' bird. Haven't ID'd it yet.

Every time I do something it's flying around shouting 'watchadoin?' I sometimes wonder.......

:biggrin:

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

Got  loads of these  here, they fly  round the land at night, lovely  bird..................recently have a had a BLOODY  BIG eagle appear, Im dying to get a  photo of it and identify it it really is BIG........hope some local winker doesnt  kill it

Might solve your pigeon problem?

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

This is correct, its the angry bird, and they get angry especially when they have children.  They are great birds, especially if you live on a big piece of land. They alert you of visitors. Even more cool about them, you can make friends with them. They will recognize you as not a threat.

Edited by xvend

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

The Thais call this bird Nok Kha- Wa- Wow on the account of the crying noise

it makes, I have fantasized a many nights and days how I make a hearty bird

soup out of couple of them.....

Yes, I think you're right. I think the OP is hearing a nok-ga-wao (that's how I'd transliterate its Thai name).

Otherwise known as a common koel I believe.

But I love its bird-song :heart_001: so exuberant. Absolutely one of my favourite sounds of Thailand.

46 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

Yes, I think you're right. I think the OP is hearing a nok-ga-wao (that's how I'd transliterate its Thai name).

Otherwise known as a common koel I believe.

But I love its bird-song :heart_001: so exuberant. Absolutely one of my favourite sounds of Thailand.

I agree, they call their plaintiff noise all night. They are shy but they get raucous if a stranger approaches. I have learned to live with them, the frogs and toads and the crickets. But I do live in the boonies and the night noises are only to be expected. Ear plugs can solve the problem, but you may not hear the louts breaking into your house.

3 minutes ago, xvend said:

I have a toukay population of at least 6 on my porch, we are bro's. 

We say what's up every morning, none run away.

It's all good.

I learned tokay, but my wife says you are correct. I have 2 that live near the kitchen but sometimes they wander down to the chicken/duck yard. I love them, huge geckoes that often munch on the hundreds of ordinary house geckoes. Thailand, stick a twig in the ground and it grows, walk outside and experience the insect life personally. And I do love it.

2 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I learned tokay, but my wife says you are correct. I have 2 that live near the kitchen but sometimes they wander down to the chicken/duck yard. I love them, huge geckoes that often munch on the hundreds of ordinary house geckoes. Thailand, stick a twig in the ground and it grows, walk outside and experience the insect life personally. And I do love it.

they are solid relaxed bros's

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

We get lots of these birds... and also black winged stilts, on the abandoned rice fields next to my house.  I love hearing them and watching them going about their business.  Its like a nature documentary sometimes around here!!! 

The bird noises never bother me... even the owls and Asian Koel birds.  My rooster make a racket.. but even they don't wake me up or disturb my sleep, but I do wake up if the birds are making a different noise, like alarm calls... because some predator is about. 

The only noise I can't stand is the 5am loud speakers from the temple.. which rattle our windows and vibrate the walls for several hours.  And the new Indian Meditation place playing Bollywood style music and blowing trumpets all afternoon several times a week at full volume which can be heard over the TV!!!

Give me nature sounds over human 'music' any day.