Govt floats long-term land leases for foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

seeing how Farangs can lease land 100% legally for 30 years now, I don't really see how this will change things except for business owners who are very young and can see the future.

and you cannot legally own land in Thailand, no matter how any people tell you that you can.

Not absolutely correct since the owner of a BOI company is allowed to own land i.e. set up a small company which is BOI approved (not a simple thing) and you can have an office building (of any size) and the "company" can own the land under the office building. Sell the company and the land goes with it. To verify, look at the BOI website, which is easy to locate.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

Foreigners may be able to actually own land in Thailand – even if it’s just temporary.

What a stupid statement - they would not own the land      :bah:

Why worry?  

Thai land can't be inherited to a greedy Farang family or ex.

The only reason they are even thinking about it is due to the fast sinking property market. In Chaam the Energy is on the verge of collapse, thats 6000 condos plus the Centara one in Pats plus plus. The reason for the 50 years is due to recent changes to ownership in Indonesia and Vietnam. 

The 2nd 30 year lease indeed is not legal but worse still should the Thai or company die or fold the new owner it seems is not tied to the original lease and need only pay a small percentage of the value of what remains on the lease.

Just now, ukrules said:

This is better than the current 30 year offering.

Thats right , it gives them 50 years to change their minds and remove it at any time, that will equal about another 5  coups.

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

First give us the right to stay here for 50 years without all the immigration hassle. 

What happened to all those  poor  buggers who bought condos on the premise of " investing in Thailand" which allowed you to stay here, about 15 years ago was it?? ie  buy a condo = permission to stay.......or did I Imagine that back in the annals of time?

The more I read about local Thais getting kicked off the property they think they've owned for years- if not generations, the less I really care about whether I can purchase land.

I'd probably buy a chunk that was set aside for agriculture 50 years ago, and get kicked off anyway.

And then, good luck going after the seller, or the officials who approved the sale and stamped the deed.

Edited by impulse

I was thinking it would be better to have a compromise where if you are resident in Thailand that you would be able to buy land for the duration of your stay, but you would not be able to make any capital gains on the property that you owned and it should be a home for which you would be resident in (maximum lot size so a foreigner does not come up and buy Issan for their local house :shock1: ).  Upon disposition of the property the capital gains would be taxed 100% (or close to it) to prevent foreign speculation.  If inherited by resident offspring it would be transferrable.  If you sold it and left you would get back the principal.  You would be able to avoid taxes by donating the capital gains to a local charity or schools.  You would be able to sell the property to fund the purchase of another property locally -- without paying capital gains.  Basically, you would be able to own land for personal use but you it would not be an "investment".

9 minutes ago, Stan7444 said:

Not absolutely correct since the owner of a BOI company is allowed to own land i.e. set up a small company which is BOI approved (not a simple thing) and you can have an office building (of any size) and the "company" can own the land under the office building. Sell the company and the land goes with it. To verify, look at the BOI website, which is easy to locate.

thank you for that information.

here is a link:

http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=setting_up_a_business

I'm 51 years of age and hope to make a century and I can pretty much guarantee I will never see the day they allow foreigners outright ownership of land in this country before I die,  if ever! They simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact that you cannot remove the land from Thailand and it makes no difference who owns it because the land and the owners at the time wether they be domestic or foreign still fall under Thai law and thus their ultimate control.

I dont get the foreigners buying up all the land idea if we could own land here, land-houses are much cheaper in my home country and has good water, electricity, internet etc, thats why I have no interest in buying land here. And I dont live in london or los angeles for all the people that will comment how much more expensive it is back home. Thailand was a reasonable cost of living 10 years ago when I first came here but now other than taxes Its much cheaper for me to live in my home country.

18 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

They simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact that you cannot remove the land from Thailand and it makes no difference who owns it because the land and the owners at the time wether they be domestic or foreign still fall under Thai law and thus their ultimate control.

Perhaps they're taking a lesson from the Palestinians, who let some Jewish folks buy a little land.

2 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

I dont get the foreigners buying up all the land idea if we could own land here, land-houses are much cheaper in my home country and has good water, electricity, internet etc, thats why I have no interest in buying land here. And I dont live in london or los angeles for all the people that will comment how much more expensive it is back home. Thailand was a reasonable cost of living 10 years ago when I first came here but now other than taxes Its much cheaper for me to live in my home country.

You may not get it but it is not all about you and where you are from, open it up and the land will be bought up by Chinese, Singaporeans and Malaysians, expats are the least of their worries, after all, what would you be buying, a house and garden or thousands of hectares of farmland?

Total agreement with Thai efforts. Recall a major battle years ago with indignant Americans when they couldn't purchase the last two or three pieces of property surrounding a lake across the border in Ontario, Canada, because the sales would cut off complete access to the lake by nearby locals in a city of approx. 60,000.. 

This was quite a while ago, but I seem to recall over 60% of the lakefront properties were owned by Americans....

...of course they where white and didn't have a Canuk Visa forum where they trashed the locals......

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

You may not get it but it is not all about you and where you are from, open it up and the land will be bought up by Chinese, Singaporeans and Malaysians, expats are the least of their worries, after all, what would you be buying, a house and garden or thousands of hectares of farmland?

Why would they buy here when the opportunity to buy in say vietnam is better ? No infrastructure here to support any farming let alone any other business on a large scale. You are dreaming like a thai.

Just now, Hereinthailand said:

Why would they buy here when the opportunity to buy in say vietnam is better ? No infrastructure here to support any farming let alone any other business on a large scale. You are dreaming like a thai.

Howza 'bout to lock up a supply of food as they desertify all their own farm land.  In which case, they'd be buying up Vietnam, Cambodia, Africa and any other place that lets them.  Google it.  It's happening all over the world.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

seeing how Farangs can lease land 100% legally for 30 years now, I don't really see how this will change things except for business owners who are very young and can see the future.

andha you cannot legally own land in Thailand, no matter how any people tell you tt you can.