B55mn Phuket bridge slated to open after Songkran

snoop1130

B55mn Phuket bridge slated to open after Songkran

Shela Riva

1490351200_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- A new bridge and road, costing B55 million and taking three years to build, located behind the King Power duty-free 'mega-store' on Chao Fa West Rd, are expected to open after Songkran, The Phuket News has been told.

The Chao Fa Bridge, as it is called, and the road that traverses it will connect Chao Fa West Rd to Muang Chaofah Rd.

Ratchintin Co Ltd began construction in 2015 and was given 720 days to complete the project, explained the company's project manager Pirapong Pongpradit.

The bridge, now complete, spans 80 metres over a lake, leaving only 175m of road to be laid.

The Department of Rural Roads is responsible for this project. The bridge features four lanes of concrete road over two spans, each 8.8 meters wide.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/b55mn-phuket-bridge-slated-to-open-after-songkran-61531.php#aIDldq5VxOxx9DrV.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-24

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Well that's not a road that's going to improve traffic but plenty of space for more latex and gem shops to open.

Perhaps the world's largest ferris wheel will be sited there.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason for that bit of road. It doesn't link anything together that isn't connected now. I just can't see the justification for building a bridge over a lake at such great expense. Where it joins CF west will it slow traffic down even more than that intersection does already? Maybe there's a bigger plan I don't see.

bridge.JPG

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There certainly doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason for that bit of road. It doesn't link anything together that isn't connected now. I just can't see the justification for building a bridge over a lake at such great expense. Where it joins CF west will it slow traffic down even more than that intersection does already? Maybe there's a bigger plan I don't see.

Yeah, I am missing the point of this road also.

Only guess I can make is that it gives buses going to the King power complex a new entrance as they are now having trouble crossing the road with all the traffic.

55m still sounds a bit expensive for a new bus entrance.

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

bridge.JPG

Maybe KingPower has something to do with this road and bridge??.....but what ever....the bridge spans a small cove and has been a complete wast!

• 9 months later...

Guess what! This road and bridge, that was supposed to open last April, seems to have finally opened today!

I went past there before 9am this morning and noted barrels still blocked the road, but returning south after midday was surprised to see a right turn arrow in operation and everything now open!

On 3/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Maybe KingPower has something to do with this road and bridge??.....but what ever....the bridge spans a small cove and has been a complete wast!

Nope- the land was donated.

A good way of boosting the value of the land either side of it and getting a road built for you.

I drove down the Honda Road and was surprised to see they've already blocked off the gap in the middle of the road at the turn off for this new road. Not sure why. I hope it's temporary but we all know that Thai traffic planners (if that isn't an oxymoron!) prefer u-turns to right turns. Surely not in this case, as it's probably mainly going to be tour buses using this road, tour buses that take three lanes to perform a u-turn.

Let's wait and see.