Visa extension for supporting a non-Thai child, when unmarried

Hi, 

Is it possible to get extensions of stay on the basis of supporting a non Thai child (mother is from a neighboring country and can get a long term visa).

If so how does one go about doing that, and how do they work - border runs every 90 days, indefinitely?

I'll be present at the birth (in Thailand) and have my name put on the birth certificate, but we're unmarried. Will that affect me being recognized as the legal father, and affect the visa? Will a paternity test be required in addition to simply putting my name on the birth certificate since we aren't married?

In the event I can't be present at the birth (my visa expires around that time) can I put my name on the birth certificate at a later date? What would be the procedure in that case. The mother is under the impression she won't be able to leave the hospital until I got there, i.e. cut the visa run short and flew back to Thailand.

Thanks for any info. 

You will not be able to get a visa or extension of stay for being the parent of a child that is not a Thai citizen.

Under Thai law you will not recognized as the legal father of your child since you are not married to the child's mother. But in your case Thai law is irrelevant since neither of you are Thai citizens. You home country's laws will determine whether you are the legal parent or your child.

Your name can be put on the birth certificate without you being present.

• Like 1