Putin critic Navalny jailed after protests across Russia

webfact

Putin critic Navalny jailed after protests across Russia

By Andrew Osborn and Svetlana Reiter

REUTERS

r5.jpg

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny attends a hearing after being detained at the protest against corruption and demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, at the Tverskoi court in Moscow, Russia March 27, 2017. REUTERS/Tatyana Makeyeva

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny was handed a 15-day jail sentence on Monday for his part in a big anti-government protest in Moscow which buoyed the liberal opposition's morale a year before a presidential election.

Sunday's protest and others like it across Russia were estimated to be the largest since 2012 and foreshadow a presidential election which Vladimir Putin is expected to contest.

Opinion polls suggest Navalny, who hopes to run against Putin, has little chance of unseating the Russian leader, who enjoys high ratings. But Navalny and his supporters hope to channel public discontent over corruption to get more support.

Navalny, who will appeal the court's verdict, was found guilty of disobeying a police officer at Sunday's Moscow protest and sentenced to 15 days in jail. He was also fined for organising the protest, which the authorities said was illegal.

Navalny told reporters in the Moscow courtroom that he and his allies would not give up.

"You can’t detain tens of thousands of people," he said. "Yesterday we saw the authorities can only go so far."

Police detained more than 1,000 protesters across Russia on Sunday as crowds took to the streets, at Navalny's urging, to demonstrate against corruption and demand the resignation of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.

Medvedev's spokeswoman has dismissed corruption allegations against him as "propagandistic attacks".

Navalny said Russians would keep protesting for "as long as people see tens of billions of dollars being stolen by top officials".

The Kremlin dismissed the protests as an illegal provocation and rejected U.S. and European Union calls to free detainees like Navalny.

"We can't agree with these calls," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on a conference call, saying the police had been professional and properly enforced Russian law.

He said the Kremlin had no problem with people expressing their opinions at protest meetings, but the timing and location had to be agreed with authorities in advance, something he said had not been done in large part on Sunday.

"We can't respect people who deliberately misled minors - in essence children - calling on them to take part in illegal actions in unsanctioned places and offering them certain rewards to do so, thus putting their lives at risk," said Peskov.

A Reuters reporter saw Navalny being loaded into a van after his court appearance. It was surrounded by supporters holding placards reading" "We believe" and "Alexei, we are with you." Police then detained the group of around 20 young people.

(Editing by Andrew Roche)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-28

This is a good time to remember those opposition leaders who Putin has killed.  The list is growing constantly.

Litvinenko: Not first Putin critic to end up dead -- or last

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/03/europe/russia-putin-critics/

More of Kremlin’s Opponents Are Ending Up Dead
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/world/europe/moscow-kremlin-silence-critics-poison.html

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Some video of the protests. "Putin is a thief"

Yes, 8 thousands of people in Moscow (according to the police report) has come to support the Western agent of influece Navalny. But 1 week before 150 thousands have come to support Vladimir Putin on "the day of annexation of Crimea"

Just now, friendofthai said:

Yes, 8 thousands of people in Moscow (according to the police report) has come to support the Western agent of influece Navalny. But 1 week before 150 thousands have come to support Vladimir Putin on "the day of annexation of Crimea"

They are against the fascist Putin (as they said in the video) and his KGB style ruling of mother Russia.

Watch the video to see what is really happening in Russia. Watch the video to see real Russians, who are not too bad people.

Swedish ex-pm: "Russia state media totally ignores the mass protests. Talks about corruption in Ukraine - but certainly not Russia. "

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-report-no-evil-57550
cd704a83b7604e21be02ec43bfd659bb.jpg

Hopefully Putin's regime is soon just bad history.. quite like Stalin is.

7 minutes ago, oilinki said:

They are against the fascist Putin (as they said in the video) and his KGB style ruling of mother Russia.

Some people say Putin is good, some people people say that it is very bad. But anyway, any alternative leader who wants to be supported by his people must not be an agent of influence of other countries. I mean its political actions must not be ruled from the abroad. This is a very simple thing to understand. And this is why Navalny has no chances to become president of Russia.

Edited by friendofthai

1 minute ago, friendofthai said:

Some people say Putin is good, some people people say that it is very bad. But anyway, any alternative leader who wants to be supported by his people must not be an agent of influence of other countries. I mean its political actions must not be ruled from the abroad. This is a very simple thing to understand. And this is why Navalny has no chances to become a president of Russia.

The problem is that Putin knows he will be killed or he spends the rest of his life in prison, when he gives up his power. This is because all the corruption and abuse of Russia Putin has done for years. 

Whenever there is a viable candidate to replace Putin, the person don't have much time to live before he is she is killed. The people of Russia deserve much better and honest leader they currently have.

I truly hope Russia get's it internal problems together, before the problems leak further beyond Russia's borders.  

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The people of Russia deserve much better and honest leader they currently have.

Did you see the latest CNN movie about Putin? They said that more than 80% people in Russia constantly support Putin - and this is according to the US data and analysis. So, according to the principles of democracy - he should remain the president of Russia.

You may be surprised why the western people don't like Putin but inside Russia, people like him.  This is the power of media. Media does not often lie to you. They work more intelligently and less straightforward than most people think. The world media just give you the facts that you should know and unconscionably hide the facts that you should not know. So you think that you see the facts and make your own conclusions by yourself. But in fact the conclusions are made by those journalists who selected the facts for you.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

This is a good time to remember those opposition leaders who Putin has killed.  The list is growing constantly.

I think the demonization of Russia and its leader in the world media has a simple reason. If you thought that Russia is good - it would be very hard to engage you to participate in any big war. You would simple say - Hey guys - I have family and friends - they are just more important for me than your political games in the style of Hitler and Napoleon. But now they worked on your emotions and your image of Russia and they get a ready to fight soldier to play new war games that politicians like so much.

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

I think the demonization of Russia and its leader in the world media has a simple reason. If you thought that Russia is good - it would be very hard to engage you to participate in any big war. You would simple say - Hey guys - I have family and friends - they are just more important for me than your political games in the style of Hitler and Napoleon. But now they worked on your emotions and your image of Russia and they get a ready to fight soldier to play new war games that politicians like so much.

And I'm pretty sure you are one of these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_brigades

Most of us know Putin rules with an iron fist.  Trumpsters should know, but they're so seized on ideas of making billions of dollars with Russian oligarchs that they can excuse anything Putin or his henchmen do.    Trump publicly said Putin was a better leader than Obama.  That was sick then, and it's sick now.

The biggest loser won't be Russians or the Americans, ......it will the Arctic natural environment, when Tillerson/Putin/Trump and their cronies get drilling up there.

On 28/03/2017 at 8:33 PM, friendofthai said:

Oh, really? So, you think 89% of people who support Putin inside Russia (according to US analysts) are one of these guys? Very funny.
Ok, guys - if you still want to support Russia-demonizing campaigns in media - you are welcome. But this man on the picture wants to remind you what happened when people believed media resources too much. And there is a one small difference between Iraq and Russia - this is a huge number of nukes. So, don't think it will be an easy walk :D

1472389119_fulcrum7.jpg

Defeating Russia will hopefully not be necessary but defeating Putin probably will. Unless there are more and more people like Navalny willing to stand up to the murdering scum that rule Russia today despite seeing what befalls most who do so.

I sincerely hope Putin will meet the same fate as many of his political opponents. I'm saving a particularly good bottle of single malt to be brought out for just such an occasion.

15 hours ago, Becker said:

Unless there are more and more people like Navalny willing to stand up to the murdering scum that rule Russia today despite seeing what befalls most who do so.

I sincerely hope Putin will meet the same fate as many of his political opponents.

The funny thing about the "political opponents" is that these people are well-known only in US and Europe. But if your ask anybody in the street in Russia - "who are they?" - most common answer will be - "I don't know". So I don't see the benefits for Putin to kill "opponents" which are known only for 1% of people or even less.
The reason why these people were killed is described in the book "198 Methods of Nonviolent Action" by Gene Sharp. Every revolution needs "Sacral victim" which adds gasoline to the fire of protests. Without this sort of gasoline - the protests are likely to calm down very quickly.
Politics is not as easy and straightforward thing as most people think.

Edited by friendofthai

11 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

The funny thing about the "political opponents" is that these people are well-known only in US and Europe. But if your ask anybody in the street in Russia - "who are they?" - most common answer will be - "I don't know". So I don't see the benefits for Putin to kill "opponents" which are known only for 1% of people or even less.
The reason why these people were killed is described in the book "198 Methods of Nonviolent Action" by Gene Sharp. Every revolution needs "Sacral victim" which adds gasoline to the fire of protests. Without this sort of gasoline - the protests are likely to calm down very quickly.

How would you know how well known these people are in the street in Russia?

And exactly who do you think killed them?

Edited by Becker

11 minutes ago, Becker said:

And how would you know how well known these people are in the street in Russia?

Because I am Russian :)

And also I supported Navalny in 2012. He was very popular in the year 2012 and had approval rating of ~11% in Moscow. But after that Vladimir Putin invented a very simple thing to get rid of Navalny. Now every media or noncommercial organization which received money from the US or EU must declare it. So Vladimir Putin`s media resources just tell people - "Hey guys - look at this man - Navalny - all his actions are supported by the money of US and EU". This dramatically decreased his popularity and the popularity of the other Putin opponents. Now they have approval rating of about 1% or even less.

Edited by friendofthai

1 minute ago, friendofthai said:

Because I am Russian :)

And also I supported Navalny in 2012. He was very popular in the year 2012 and has approval rating of ~11% in Moscow. But after that Vladimir Putin invented a very simple thing to get rid of Navalny. Now every media or noncommercial organization which received money from the US or EU must declare it. So Vladimir Putin`s media resources just tell people - "Hey guys - look at this man - Navalny - all his actions are supported by the money of US and EU". This dramatically decreased his popularity and the popularity of the other Putin opponents. Now they have approval rating of about 1% or even less.

You're a Russian? What a shocker! Again;

Who are killing off the opponents of Putin?

9 minutes ago, Becker said:

You're a Russian? What a shocker! Again;

Who are killing off the opponents of Putin?

I don't know who did this. All I know is that every opponent killed doubles the number of protesters. Does Vladimir Putin wants to double the number of protesters? I don't think so. Does Vladimir Putin have any profit from killing "opponent" which has approval rating less than 1%. I don't think so.

Edited by friendofthai

4 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I don't know who did this. All I know is that every opponent killed doubles the number of protesters. Does Vladimir Putin wants to double the number of protesters? I don't think so. Does Vladimir Putin have any profit from killing "opponent" which has approval rating less than 1%. I don't think so.

555555555! You claim you don't know and then you proceed to lay the groundwork for an inevitable conclusion; that this is the work of the enemies of Russia. Tell me, why don't you just grow a pair and tell us exactly what you think is going on?

I'll tell you why. Its because you will lose what little credibility you have.

8 minutes ago, Becker said:

555555555! You claim you don't know and then you proceed to lay the groundwork for an inevitable conclusion; that this is the work of the enemies of Russia. Tell me, why don't you just grow a pair and tell us exactly what you think is going on?

I'll tell you why. Its because you will lose what little credibility you have.

Because, for example, if anyone have profit from killing his wife - this does not mean that he actually killed his wife. Here we can see the same thing. The "opposition" and their sponsors from the US and EU have profit from these murders for sure.

20 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Because, for example, if anyone have profit from killing his wife - this does not mean that he actually killed his wife. Here we can see the same thing. The "opposition" and their sponsors from the US and EU have profit from these murders for sure.

Good, you've finally shown your true colors. Now, get back under your bridge and wait for your monthly transfer from Putin.

A post violating Fair Use Policy has been removed.   Please only post the headline and the first three sentences and a link to the remainder of the article.  

Posts and links need to be in English.