Chiang Mai / Laos 60 day Visa run

I realize this topic has probably been beaten to death, but after reading 6 pages on this forum I haven't found anything about visa runs to V other than someone saying there are problems now and no replies to really address his concerns.

My worry is that I have been speaking with a VIsa run business here in Chiang Mai and I get different information on every topic from every staff member. It feels like they ar either just trying to sell me an expensive package or schooling rather than actually giving me the proper (legal) information.

So I come here to look for the latest and only see hints of trouble and cannot find any list or updated status of that particular run.

What is the best way to do this run? Should I fly part way and then take a bus across the border, stay a night, bus back and return the flight?

Would I need an exit flight out of Thailand at the end of the Visa to do this or is that not required because I'd be busing across the border?

Is it requirement (or no?) to have a wallet full of Baht? I read 20k and am getting conflicting reports from as many sources, ie YouTube Vlogers who are running into troubles at various borders, but not much info on Laos specifically. I think one guy was saying he needed a flight out even though he drove back into Thailand.

Anything I should know or be aware of? Unfortunately I don;t trust the Visa business not to screw this up.

This year, I have been here 2x on 30 day non visa entry and extended both. First was a flight in. I bought a flight out and let it go because no refund available and changing the date wasn't going to work according to my future plans anyways. The second was a Mai Sai (sp?) run by bus/foot. As far as I know, I can still do that run on foot 1 more time this year because my first 30 day was by flight... however, the immigration guard told me no. So, I'm getting conflicting info from as many people I ask.

I will be enrolled in a business school in Bangkok this September, so I am looking at options to buy time until then, where they will provide an ED Visa

Really need some legit knowledge please. Help?

Thanks

You can fly from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani and take a van to the bridge in Nong Khai from the airport in Udon. Then take the shuttle bus across to the Lao side of the bridge where you will apply for a Lao visa on arrival.  Then take what ever type of transport you want into Vientiane.

Then you would apply for a single entry tourist visa at the Thai embassy's consular. section. You apply for the visa the morning of one day and pickup the visa the next afternoon at 1:30.

The visa will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for a 30 days at immigration.

It does not matter if you fly into the country where you get the visa or if you do overland. It has no effect on how you can use the visa.

There have been no reports of immigration at the bridge in Nong Khai asking to see the 20k baht on entry to the country.

You could get another tourist visa in Vientiane after the first one without a problem. Those 2 visas would allow you to stay until September.

Here is one from S about people being denied visa - 

There have been reports on here about people being turned away at V bridge (at least when visas were free), but maybe it's changed now.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been no reports of immigration at the bridge in Nong Khai asking to see the 20k baht on entry to the country

9 minutes ago, finy said:

There have been reports on here about people being turned away at V bridge (at least when visas were free), but maybe it's changed now.

Is this the same bridge?

I'm very concerned about leaving my luggage at the hotel here and then being denied entry due to a lack of consistent information/ changing rules on the spot... not to mention any other reason a country may deny entry even if you have your paperwork in order. From what I gather this process has been consistent enough that people feel comfortable leaving their belongings in Thailand while doing a run. True? Or should I pack everything up and take it. Not sure if the flight or mini van crossing the bridge would accept 2 large suitcases and a carry on

37 minutes ago, finy said:

Where is V bridge.

If you mean on entry from Laos at immigration on the Nong Khai side of the bridge I have seen no reports of that happening on this forum,

33 minutes ago, B0nkers said:

Is this the same bridge?

I have no idea what is he is writing about. No recent reports of anybody having problems on entry at Nong Khai after getting a visa in Vientiane.

I've been paying very close attention to it because I've been planning my return.

I'm not sure if UJ reads every single post on here, but there was talk of people being refused entry or visa at both places.

It was said apparently it had something to do with the free visas. Maybe there was just the one or two people with problems in V.

OP I'm sure it will be fine. I would take a bank statement just in case if it was me.

18 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Just came back from Laos no problem crossing the bridge

It might have been people being turned away because the visas were free.

I can't say for sure it was a 20k bridge issue.

I can say for sure if V was business as usual I'd already be in Thailand.

21 minutes ago, finy said:

It might have been people being turned away because the visas were free.

I can't say for sure it was a 20k bridge issue.

I can say for sure if V was business as usual I'd already be in Thailand.

If you have been closely following this, why not post links to the posts you are referring to? I can recall one strange report of a refusal of an SETV in Vientiane on a Friday with insufficient information to know what was going on. Other than that, I can recall nothing unusual at either the Vientiane consulate or Nong Khai on entry. [Of course, the situation in Savannakhet now is completely different.]

Flying out in the morning. Any last minute advise on what to bring?

1. Passport

2. Passport sized photos

3. Cash for Visa: Laos 2500, Thailand 2000

4. Proof of residence (ie: hotel receipt) for first few days after returning to Thailand (?) I read this can be important. Does it matter?

5. Any need for onward flight/bus etc?

6. ??

Thanks!

Edited by B0nkers

If going to Vientiane, there will be no need for onward flight, residence or financial proof.

Save money by transferring some money in US$ for the Laos visa on arrival. The Thai tourist visa will cost 1,000 baht.

The best photo size is "visa size" which is a bit smaller than those used when applying for a passport.

Good luck!