Do you offer alm food to monk?

Blablaboy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.....

They used to walk around our MooBaan but haven't seen for awhile.....But the wife didn't offer....

When visiting the inlaws around Suphanburi she, along with our daughters will....But only once in awhile & usually very early....

Most of the time I see them on parade they are working the local vendors....Like clockwork.....

No they have and get every day multiple times more food than any one could eat...in our "moo bahn" they often have merit making ceremonies and have taken 3-5 pickup trucks full to overflowing in offerings....my money is better spent feeding me and my immediate family and if feeling generous some treats for the local kids.

No.

Based upon my recent interactions, I do not believe they need my assistance. I was recently in Kanchaburi and there were a large number visiting the bridge. There was quite an assortment of expensive watches, mobile phones, fancy japanese cameras and too many smokers.  I have noticed that there are  some rather plump monks as well. A reduced calorie diet might benefit them.

28 minutes ago, true word said:

Buddha beggs food in order to keep his humbleness always and people who give them appreciate their humbleness.

Maybe  Buddha  should have gotten a  job instead of relying on others generosity

18 minutes ago, kannot said:

Maybe  Buddha  should have gotten a  job instead of relying on others generosity

If Buddha and his disciple do not train our generosity, where do we learn on how to not attach too much on our money and possession?

Just now, Blablaboy said:

If Buddha and his disciple do not train our generosity, where do we learn on how to not attach too much on our money and possession?

I dont need training/brainwashing and dont appreciate their training, no  money no honey, be it in £$or Baht or goods  or services. tell me why do the temples need to   build ever more fanciful and expensive monstrosities to their "humbleness"?

31 minutes ago, lungbing said:

The monks are not begging.  They are giving the Buddhist people an opportunity to make merit.  Or that was the original idea.

why  do  you  need  to  make  merit?

2 hours ago, Blablaboy said:

Think Like a Billionaire: Everything You Need to Know About Success, Real Estate, and Life by Donald J. Trump

46 minutes ago, rijb said:

Think Like a Billionaire: Everything You Need to Know About Success, Real Estate, and Life by Donald J. Trump

Do I want to be like Buddha or Donald Trump? Easy decision.

Wait, maybe not. Donald gets to bang Ivanka, no? Does banging Ivanka count as making merit?

rather callous responses I must say...feeding the monks is a local tradition/ritual and folks get up early to prepare food fer that purpose, my MiL included when she stays with us...

and then she uses the left overs to prepare khao tom moo from which I partake when I get outta bed some hours later...

two birds with one stone?...it's a great way to start the day...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

rather callous responses I must say...feeding the monks is a local tradition/ritual and folks get up early to prepare food fer that purpose, my MiL included when she stays with us...

and then she uses the left overs to prepare khao tom moo from which I partake when I get outta bed some hours later...

two birds with one stone?...it's a great way to start the day...

Female genital mutilation is a tradition to in some countries, because something is a tradition doesnt make it good and as  far as Im concerned all religions (inc  Buddhism) are pretty grim. It doesnt take a genius to work out how you should life your ,life.

A lot of tradition is nothing  more than "peer  pressure".........................listen to how the  villagers talk about my "Blackheart Wife " who doesnt give to the temple in her hometown whilst  those wanting to earn big  face throw money at them even though I know they havent got  it, the worst offender being one of her Brothers........the same Brother who wanted to buy her  land off her and expected it would be given to him free despite agreeing to pay for it and her driving from BKK to Loei and when she got there he gave a big  song and dance routine how he (you guessed it) had  no money...............the other two family members did though

Its interesting to see the  variations in how " religion" is enforced, in The  Uk Christians do almost nothing, Islam  calls you to prayer but here they appear on your doorstep daily................

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

Female genital mutilation is a tradition to in some countries, because something is a tradition doesnt make it good and as  far as Im concerned all religions (inc  Buddhism) are pretty grim. It doesnt take a genius to work out how you should life your ,life.

A lot of tradition is nothing  more than "peer  pressure".........................listen to how the  villagers talk about my "Blackheart Wife " who doesnt give to the temple in her hometown whilst  those wanting to earn big  face throw money at them even though I know they havent got  it, the worst offender being one of her Brothers........the same Brother who wanted to buy her  land off her and expected it would be given to him free despite agreeing to pay for it and her driving from BKK to Loei and when she got there he gave a big  song and dance routine how he (you guessed it) had  no money...............the other two family members did though

Its interesting to see the  variations in how " religion" is enforced, in The  Uk Christians do almost nothing, Islam  calls you to prayer but here they appear on your doorstep daily................

alms to buddhist monks and female genital mutilation? a curious comparison...

sounds like a pro western fundamentalist christian rant and I'll take it as such...

religious bigotry of any sort is disgusting...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

alms to buddhist monks and female genital mutilation? a curious comparison...

sounds like a pro western fundamentalist christian rant and I'll take it as such...

religious bigotry of any sort is disgusting...

Religion has no evidence to  support it  but rules peoples  lives...I find that disgusting especially in some countries where its seriously  enforced, you stated giving alms  was "tradition" so is female mutilation

ps devout Atheist..until someone provides evidence otherwise

bigotnoun [ C ] us /ˈbɪɡ·ət/ › a person who has strong, unreasonable ideas, esp. about race or religion, and who thinks anyone who does not have the same beliefs is wrong

An "unreasonable idea" is one lacking evidence, I dont "believe" anything without evidence, religions expect you to believe without evidence, Id  call that an "unreasonable idea" making religions the biggest bigots of  all

Edited by kannot

39 minutes ago, kannot said:

Religion has no evidence to  support it  but rules peoples  lives...I find that disgusting especially in some countries where its seriously  enforced, you stated giving alms  was "tradition" so is female mutilation

religion, being supported by tradition, needs no evidence...ritual rules peoples lives even in western 'civilized' places...and the opprobrium to those who don't follow tradition can be harsh regardless of where they live..

not that I support the above, just an observation...

westerners in asia are excused as we are presumed to be ignorant of local tradition...but I would venture to say not so for asians living in the west...'freedom and responsibility' and etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I did once.

I had a fight coming up and I was due to fight a guy who just got out of prison and was more experienced with 200 fights under his belt.

I was a bit worried so I asked my (then) gf if she would come with me while I gave food to the monk and asked for protection.

Gave the food, got blessed....come the fight, I was feeling pretty good.

However that night I got the worst beatdown of my career.  I ended up getting my sternum broken from a step up knee and having to take months off while it healed.

Ever since then I quietly swear to myself whenever I see them.

14 hours ago, kannot said:

I dont need training/brainwashing and dont appreciate their training, no  money no honey, be it in £$or Baht or goods  or services. tell me why do the temples need to   build ever more fanciful and expensive monstrosities to their "humbleness"?

Hmmm, "no money, no honey" speaks directly for one who posts "I Love Jesus".

2 hours ago, kannot said:

ps devout Atheist..until someone provides evidence otherwise

bigotnoun [ C ] us /ˈbɪɡ·ət/ › a person who has strong, unreasonable ideas, esp. about race or religion, and who thinks anyone who does not have the same beliefs is wrong

An "unreasonable idea" is one lacking evidence, I dont "believe" anything without evidence, religions expect you to believe without evidence, Id  call that an "unreasonable idea" making religions the biggest bigots of  all

I knew it!!!

I have always enjoyed reading your comments, even to the point of following Silly Treads just because you posted in them.

Sarcasm & truth combined. Just what I like.

But your avatar puzzled me.

May I humbly point out to you that Camembert, Stilton, Parmesan etc are "cheeses", not "jesus"  (not trying to be a grammar Nazi....) 

This is true. An unfortunate chain of events.4 years ago

1) I was coerced into paying 300 baht to have a monk bless, and bugger up my dashboard and head lining and doors inside the new car that i bought with some stuff that looked like toothpaste.

2)On the way home from the temple, i ran over and killed a soi dog.

3) My wife insisted that i bury the dog,i found some ground and did so, and in the process got bitten to buggery by red ants.

4) On getting home, my wife told me that she would not travel in the car for a week, because it was now unlucky, and to be regarded as an instrument, from the 7th circle of hell.

5) and final, i took the car out and the next day saw that i had received a slow puncture.I hate changing tyres at the best of times, but for some reason this time took longer than ever before.I was beginning to think the wife is right.

I have to say that in all my life i have never so many incidents in such a short space of time. I put this down to my karma, running over a Dogma

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

u r  mis informed..........read up a few  posts

hmmm, read posts again. Think you were quite clear in your informing on your thoughts and your "I Love Jesus" seems  clear enough.