Spouse Visa & TM30 Question

I am starting a new topic as my situation is slightly different and I wanted to get a specific response, (apologies if this has already been answered but I couldnt see anything specifically the same).

I regularly come to TH for less than 30 days. Now I want to adopy my step son and have been told that I need to get a spouse visa first. If I get this:

1/ Will I be required to complete a TM30 everytime I visit even if I never exceed 30 days?  And if I choose not to complete the TM30 will I just be treated as someone on a tourist visa or will the spouse visa overrule this?

2/ Will the spouse visa hold true for a year even if I come and go every two months or so wihout ever exceeding one month at any one time?  What I mean is will I still be required to report to immigration every 90 days even if I am never in TH for more than a month at a time?

3/ Anything else I need to consider or be aware of?

Thanks in advance ?

There is technically no spouse visa. You can get a non-o visa (single or multiple entry)

at a embassy or consulate or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to Thai at immigration. Which one are you asking about?

I am not sure you need either one to adopt your step son. As far as i know there is no requirement to have any visa.

1. No Not needed unless you need to do something at immigration.

2. If get a multiple entry non-o visa you would get a new 90 day entry every time you enter the country. If you apply for a one year extension you would need a multiple re-entry permit which would allow unlimited entries for the length of your extension. Unless you stay in the country for more than 90 days there is no need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country.

Ubon Joe,

Appreciate the very swift response and apologies for the confusion on my part.

I guess I am asking about the non-immigrant multi entry visa then as currently I dont have a visa. I have been advised by the TH govt adoption centre in BKk, that to adopt my son I need a visa saying I can reside in TH so I guess this is the one.

If I get this in UAE, then my understanding is that I wont be required to report to immigration unless I am in TH for 90 days or more. What about the TM30 though, will I be required to complete that or is it ok to ignore?

The multiple entry non-o visa would be your best choice with your schedule.

You should be able to get one at the consulate in Dubai or the embassy in Abu Dhabi if you have legal residence in the UAE. If not you could get one while here at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

2 hours ago, stament said:

I guess I am asking about the non-immigrant multi entry visa then as currently I dont have a visa. I have been advised by the TH govt adoption centre in BKk, that to adopt my son I need a visa saying I can reside in TH so I guess this is the one.

I would double check their meaning of 'residing'.

Could be they mean an extension of stay based on marriage obtained from a local Immigration office from within Thailand, rather than a multi entry Non O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Many government official and commercial websites commonly wrongly refer to an 'extension based on marriage' as a Marriage Visa, when it is actually a permit giving permission to stay for 12 months. (Subject to conditions).

Looking at the information that is available on the web, then it doesn't look easy to adopt a Thai child as a foreigner.

It mentions that foreigners who have temporary residence in Thailand must have a work permit and been in Thailand for at least 6 months prior to applying, these rules may be different where by the child's mother is your wife.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the fact that your married to his Mother negate the need to adopt?

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

Looking at the information that is available on the web, then it doesn't look easy to adopt a Thai child as a foreigner.

It mentions that foreigners who have temporary residence in Thailand must have a work permit and been in Thailand for at least 6 months prior to applying, these rules may be different where by the child's mother is your wife.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the fact that your married to his Mother negate the need to adopt?

I want to adopt so I have legal rights if something were ever to happen to my wife. At present I have no rights.

7 hours ago, dentonian said:

I would double check their meaning of 'residing'.

Could be they mean an extension of stay based on marriage obtained from a local Immigration office from within Thailand, rather than a multi entry Non O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Many government official and commercial websites commonly wrongly refer to an 'extension based on marriage' as a Marriage Visa, when it is actually a permit giving permission to stay for 12 months. (Subject to conditions).

In fairness the Govt official seemed very knowledgeable and spoke very good English. She also gave me her email address (should I have any further questions) and a list of papers required.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The multiple entry non-o visa would be your best choice with your schedule.

You should be able to get one at the consulate in Dubai or the embassy in Abu Dhabi if you have legal residence in the UAE. If not you could get one while here at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

Thanks that was my plan but what about the TM30 do I need to worry about that or not since I wont ever be staying more than 30 consecutive days within the next year or so. 

Edited by stament

11 hours ago, stament said:

Thanks that was my plan but what about the TM30 do I need to worry about that or not since I wont ever be staying more than 30 consecutive days within the next year or so. 

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/03/2017 at 11:17 AM, ubonjoe said:

First of all,  thanks for all the help you provide with your expertise. Searching to the immigration web and some of the conflicting information is rather painful

I have a few questions around my 1 year multi entry visa which bug and confuse me:

90 Day reporting - If I never reach the 90 days (I plan to leave every 4-6 weeks) is it correct that I will not have to worry about this as the counter resets to 90 days every time I will re-enter Thailand?

TM 30 - As it is the landlord/hotel responsibility to report this should I even worry about this? Can they get back at me if they don't report ? How about if I have a 1 year rental contract, will the landlord fill out this form once and this will take care of the different arrivals during this year?

TM 28 - Will this have to be done by me? What if I don't do it? Again,  do it once a year or will I have to do this every time I get back toThailand?

thanks in advance for your help.

17 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

First of all,  thanks for all the help you provide with your expertise. Searching to the immigration web and some of the conflicting information is rather painful

I have a few questions around my 1 year multi entry visa which bug and confuse me:

90 Day reporting - If I never reach the 90 days (I plan to leave every 4-6 weeks) is it correct that I will not have to worry about this as the counter resets to 90 days every time I will re-enter Thailand?

TM 30 - As it is the landlord/hotel responsibility to report this should I even worry about this? Can they get back at me if they don't report ? How about if I have a 1 year rental contract, will the landlord fill out this form once and this will take care of the different arrivals during this year?

TM 28 - Will this have to be done by me? What if I don't do it? Again,  do it once a year or will I have to do this every time I get back toThailand?

thanks in advance for your help.

You only need to do a report of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country unless you can stay that long. As long as you leave on or before the 90th day no report is due. A new 90 days starts from the date you enter the country.

As I wrote before unless you need to do something at immigration you really don't need to worry about a TM30. Same for the TM28. Also there are some offices that don't ask for a TM30 or TM28 form when you do something.

The TM30 reporting requirement varies from office to office.

• Like 1