With this hot weather and no A/c in room only fans,

at the moment I am running

2 mini PC,s a Zotac AD12 with HDD and temperature is

47 C with small fan to give extra cooling,without fan 53 C

the other PC an Aopen DE45 with Samsung SSD is 48C with

extra fan for cooling,55 C without fan, are these temperatures

acceptable, how hot are yours getting?

regards Worgeordie

You are fine.  The "upper operating temperature" for SSD and HDD is usually around 60 to 70C.   Like the Samsung 850SSD is 70C...then I looked up a typical Segate HDD and the upper temperature operating limit was 60C.   And the allowed RH for both aforementioned drives was 5 to 95%.

Samsung 850 SSD

Capture.JPG.21a2993f4ef3fe6140f9ccb0fddf7568.JPG

Seagate HDD

Capture2.JPG.a7e00275ba7b4d9f1178ac0951836df2.JPG

My HDD's were getting hot to touch, My SSD's not and as I recently built a whole new PC I did not fit the HDD's back in, instead now am only running SSS's (Samsung Evo 850 256gb for the :c drive and 4 Samsung Evo 850 1TB's for local storage).

CPU and GPU are water cooled.

Make sure you monitoring the temps when writing to the drive. Like when transferring large files. I had three HDD fail less than a year ago. One was a 6TB Seagate drive. I dont care what any documentation says. Anything 50+ is extremely high. I now keep my extra drives in a portable storage case and when not using I turn it off. And of course consistently monitor the temperatures. When the drive crashes you may or may not be able to salvage your data. For internal drives I would look inside your case and ensure you have proper air flow and not stack drives one above the other but rather leave a space between them. 

Here's a couple of articles on drive temperate related to failure rate.  And you will see the second article says high humidity is a bigger killer than temperature.   And in Thailand, we definitely have plenty of high humidity year round.

No  shortage of articles on the internet about impacts of drive temperature....some articles will say no to minor impact; others will say a very significant impact.  But a lot of these articles are based on IT centers with tons of drives in controlled or semi-controlled environmental conditions.   Running cooler is better, but that doesn't necessary mean you drive will last longer than a drive running warm to hot....a lot can depend on the quality of the drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heat-doesnt-kill-hard-drives-heres-what-does/

2 hours ago, johnjohn2 said:

Make sure you monitoring the temps when writing to the drive. Like when transferring large files. I had three HDD fail less than a year ago. One was a 6TB Seagate drive. I dont care what any documentation says. Anything 50+ is extremely high. I now keep my extra drives in a portable storage case and when not using I turn it off. And of course consistently monitor the temperatures. When the drive crashes you may or may not be able to salvage your data. For internal drives I would look inside your case and ensure you have proper air flow and not stack drives one above the other but rather leave a space between them. 

I agree. Don't want to go higher than 50. SSD controller chips are sensitive to that.

I do. I use SSD for the primary C: Windows drive. And mechanical HDD for my storage drives. It rather expensive to stock full of numerous SSD drives for storage. I work in TB of Data so it would be insane costly for that many SDD's. Im talking desktop computer. In my laptops sure I use all SSD drives. 

If I could afford to buy large size and multiple SSD (2TB+) surely I would. They do run much much cooler as well.  

HDDs will be around for a long time yet.  Most new computers are still sold with HDDs although we are seeing more come with SSDs.  And HDDs are still cheaper than SSD....and a lot cheaper when you get up into the 1GB and higher storage range.    

1 hour ago, johnjohn2 said:

. It rather expensive to stock full of numerous SSD drives for storage.

Indeed, in my new PC there is Bt.60,000 worth of SSD's.

My Synology NAS,  still runs mechanical drives, WD reds.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

. . . when you get up into the 1GB and higher storage range.    

Which, come down to it, you always do nowadays. Funny how that 10MB disk in the old IBM PC XT seemed so HUGE at the time.

11 hours ago, Pib said:

HDDs will be around for a long time yet.  Most new computers are still sold with HDDs although we are seeing more come with SSDs.  And HDDs are still cheaper than SSD....and a lot cheaper when you get up into the 1GB and higher storage range.    

How many percent of buyers need more than 256 or 512 ?

But still stupid brands sell stupid HDD that are the cause of 90% of windows and computer OS failures.

It's so funny that some sales persons at computer stores don't even know the benefits of SSD, ridiculous them. Then some people ask me why I refuse to talk to any seller in this country, before having made my own choice.

1 hour ago, BsBs said:

But still stupid brands sell stupid HDD that are the cause of 90% of windows and computer OS failures.

It's so funny that some sales persons at computer stores don't even know the benefits of SSD, ridiculous them. Then some people ask me why I refuse to talk to any seller in this country, before having made my own choice.

SSD's also fail, have a few over the years hence once a month my primary is ghosted and my other SSD's backed up to my NAS once a month.

2 hours ago, BsBs said:

Its hard to define the benefits of a SSD drive, for lots of users and applications there would be no measurable difference. If you have a PC/laptop thats always on then you are not getting any benefit from faster bootup. A ssd does not make the transfer of data quicker as your are still pegged to the usb or network speed. If you have a PC with plenty of RAM then HDD access is minimal so no great advantage. 

Lots of benefits if you are doing a HD intensive application such as video rendering etc, For your average user, An ssd doesnt make facebook quicker.

Edited by Peterw42

I have put 4 SSDs in my 4 laptops over the last 2 years or so (three 512GB and one 256GB SSDs).  Two of the laptops were newer, powerful CPU models and two were laptops with lower power, approx 8 to 10 year old CPUs.  The SSDs made a significant improvement in their boot-up, program start up, and just a lot of computer activities...gave new life to those older computers.

The significant speed improvement was much more evident on the older computers than the new computers, especially on the bootup.   But the speed increase on the newer computers was very evident also but not as dramatic as for the older computers. 

Now since Win 8 and Win 10 incorporate Fast Startup/Fast Boot, a SSD does not increase the bootup speed as much as a Win 7 computer since Win 7 does not incorporate Fast Startup/Fast Boot.

For a laptop where you are likely to have only one storage drive, definitely go with a SSD....512GB should be more than enough unless you also same a lot of GB sized files like movies, etc.  For desktops, at least have your operating system running on a SSD....and then use HDD for a lot of your GB size file storage, backups, etc.  

Edited by Pib

On 4/1/2017 at 7:37 AM, Don Mega said:

SSD's also fail, have a few over the years hence once a month my primary is ghosted and my other SSD's backed up to my NAS once a month.

True, and they fail catastrophically w/ little warning. Be prepared, noobs.

Edited by JSixpack