MaAnn U-turns on Phuket beach plan, pushes for vendors at Bang Tao

webfact

MaAnn U-turns on Phuket beach plan, pushes for vendors at Bang Tao

The Phuket News

1490842857_1-org.jpg

The Royal Thai Army inspected Bang Tao and Surin Beaches on Monday (Mar 27). Photo: Royal Thai Army

PHUKET: -- The Commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment Royal Thai Army, Col Santi Sakuntanark, has confirmed that he has now met with Chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) MaAnn Samran to discuss arrangements for beaches under Mr MaAnn’s jurisdiction.

At the meeting, held on Monday (Mar 27), Mr MaAnn argued that he wanted Bang Tao Beach to have a 10% zone, with vendors on the sand. Only last week Mr MaAnn argued he wanted to preserve it as a protected “virgin” beach.

Meanwhile, both Mr MaAnn and Col Santi assured that Surin Beach will remain “virgin”.

Col Santi revealed on March 14 that he wanted to meet Mr MaAnn to hear why a beach club restaurant has been allowed to place dining chairs and tables on the sand at Bang Tao Beach.

At that time Col Santi told The Phuket News he was seeking an audience with Mr MaAnn after he led an inspection of Bang Tao Beach March 13.

However, last Tuesday (Mar 21) Mr MaAnn told the Royal Thai Army in Phuket that he planned to clear Bang Tao Beach of all vendors.

During that meeting Mr MaAnn failed to explain why the beach club restaurant was on the sand. 

Speaking to The Phuket News yesterday (Mar 29), Col Santi said, “When I talked with Mr MaAnn and inspected both Bang Tao and Surin beaches on Monday I requested to know what his proposal was for Bang Tao Beach.

“Initially Mr MaAnn wanted Bang Tao Beach to be a protected beach with no 10% zone. However, he now tells me that he wants to try a 10% zone at the beach.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/maann-u-turns-on-phuket-beach-plan-pushes-for-vendors-at-bang-tao-61599.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-30

7 hours ago, webfact said:

During that meeting Mr MaAnn failed to explain why the beach club restaurant was on the sand. 

Maybe Col Santi should explain to  MaAnn that he no longer has his job as chief of the OrBorTor.

Why this guy is still the boss is a mystery to me. The Army should have booted him out long ago when his dirty dealings at Surin Beach first came to light.

At the risk of repeating myself, MaAnn the cause of and not the solution to all of the beach problems. How the army or navy are incapable of sorting the beach management, and buffoons this this guy remain in place are cause for despair. This really is mealy mouthed nonsense from Col Santi, and leaves me with a leaden feeling in my gut. I despair.

47 minutes ago, stuarty said:

At the risk of repeating myself, MaAnn the cause of and not the solution to all of the beach problems. How the army or navy are incapable of sorting the beach management, and buffoons this this guy remain in place are cause for despair. This really is mealy mouthed nonsense from Col Santi, and leaves me with a leaden feeling in my gut. I despair.

Exactly ... MaAnn caused/promoted this beach incursion for his own (and huge) financial gain. Whether in or out of a government position he still weilds a lot of local influence.