going to be a hot dry year

opalred

" now in start of dry and dam nearly dry again"

Where exactly do you live, OP ?

Here in the Mae Jo area, we would normally expect the start of the monsoon-rains in about a month's time, and some people further South  (but not me/us) have seen showers in the past few evenings.

Unlike last year, our village's local-water system is still running, so I'd say that things aren't as bad this year.

Edited by Ricardo

Weather, like everything else runs in cycles. California has gone from drought to massive rain and snowfall. All those de sal plants built in Australia because of green scare mongering are sitting idle after record rains and full dams. Billions wasted by clueless people trying to predict the weather.  But not to worry ! This year will be extremely wet for sure. My trick knee says so.

I was in Thailand over New Years and January and in Phuket it didn't stop raining. Out of a 12 day stay I had maybe 3 or 4 days of good weather. The rest were a complete wash out.

Some people were speculating this might have been to do with the fact there was less rain than normal during the rainy season that year. Could there be any truth in this?

I'm thinking of coming again end on Jan. Obviously not able to predict the weather but I really hope things get back to normal this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i do have to add

i bike ride through the rice fields every morning

i see a 4 generation rice farmer

that got his water from a stream or channel

had to drill a bore and was pumping for a week to the rice  

now that has gone dry  and will lose his rice crop first time ever

Hi all - someone made a comment earlier about having a wetter than usual monsoon season due to no El Nino for the 1st time in 24 months. Do you know if this means things should go back to normal by the next dry season? 

i am near maerim area 

there have been small spits around the area 

but will go soon 

i am on town water but before used dam water 

then some years ago i had a well dug to 40mt it went dry 

so now as with town water and can go off for weeks in the dry last year

i fill the well with town water so to keep a good supply also keep pool full

cheers 

Most rice fields fed by klongs are fine.  Those fed by mountain run off are not doing so well.  Water is being dammed up the mountain so little or none gets to the lower farms.

Edited by Dante99

On 03/04/2017 at 7:47 PM, opalred said:

<snip for brevity>

IME the main crop is grown through the summer/autumn, when the monsoon is on, and harvested in November/December.

If your farmer has been getting his water from an irrigation-channel, then that's just the second-crop, for those lucky enough to be in an area which has irrigation and a reliable-supply during the (underway now) dry-season.

In my village we usually only grow the one crop, our irrigation has dried-up, but strangely the golf-course upstream is always nice & green ! :wink:

And many fields which were growing rice during the high-guaranteed-price scheme, now grow other things, or lie fallow.

Here in Mae-Jo, we've now had 30-minute heavy showers two evenings in-a-row, I'm not saying that the rains have arrived yet, but it seems premature to be suggesting a drought is underway this year.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, opalred said:

i do have to add

i bike ride through the rice fields every morning

I think, in your farmers case, the problem my be due to diverted water supply.  Water is not running the traditional route to his fields.  Not lack of water in the area.

I have seen this in my area.  Many of the clongs have been changed, 'improved', by making them into concrete, some then buried under the roads.  Before the ditches and clongs looked like muddy ditches, and farmers could simply dam them up or dig holes in the side to flood their fields and control water flow.  Now, some of the farmers can not do this anymore from the main ditches.

Another problems has been change of land use, such as people filling in fields to build houses and housing estates, growing different crops, and making new rice fields where there were none before.  Then the water flow gets diverted, blocked up, stopped or mismanaged. 

I am in San Sai... most of the rice fields are full and looking very lush and green.  The farmer next door to me however changed from growing his rice to raising buffalo. 

When I asked him about it, it was because he lost 2 crops in last years drought, and now he was not taking any chances.  He also told me his fields used to be fed by a different water supply to the lower ones.  3 years ago it was diverted under the new road and concreted over.  Since then there have been problems with the supply, but he can't do anything about it.

• 3 weeks later...
I was in Thailand over New Years and January and in Phuket it didn't stop raining. Out of a 12 day stay I had maybe 3 or 4 days of good weather. The rest were a complete wash out.

Some people were speculating this might have been to do with the fact there was less rain than normal during the rainy season that year. Could there be any truth in this?

I'm thinking of coming again end on Jan. Obviously not able to predict the weather but I really hope things get back to normal this year.

Anyone?

You want us to predict the weather for next January?

Blue skies, highs of between 28 and 34C, lows of between 12 and 16C. Expect little to no rain, but be aware that rain has fallen during during January in 2016 and 2017.

I think that's as good a guess as you're going to get.

You want us to predict the weather for next January?

Blue skies, highs of between 28 and 34C, lows of between 12 and 16C. Expect little to no rain, but be aware that rain has fallen during during January in 2016 and 2017.

I think that's as good a guess as you're going to get.

I meant more about the weather systems in general given there is no El Niño for the 1st time in a few years. Earlier in the thread someone suggested it would be a wetter than normal monsoon season due to this. So I guess my question is what does the lack of El Niño mean for dry season?

50 minutes ago, wellred said:

I meant more about the weather systems in general given there is no El Niño for the 1st time in a few years. Earlier in the thread someone suggested it would be a wetter than normal monsoon season due to this. So I guess my question is what does the lack of El Niño mean for dry season?

I don't know but when the dry season has past i will record it on the back of a dried leaf