Vital: marriage permit questions my wife must answer to get legally married in Thailand

3 hours ago, TerryLH said:

"Phew! Result. I guess he owes me a pint or two now..."

Which you should probably pass on to the members who helped you.

Absolutely. My apologies for this oversight, I send out many thanks to all who replied with their helpful input.

"Thomas"

Thomas.

Family Settlement applications are made online and documents submitted to the VFS.

However to allay your friends worries, he should perhaps look at the paper version of the application form (VAF4A).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-for-family-settlement-form-vaf4a

Remember she is the applicant and completing the application, he is the Sponsor.

Question 6.9 do you have any criminal convictions either in the UK or overseas (you must include spent and unspent convictions as well as traffic offences)?

Question 6.10  have you ever been charged in any country (including the UK) with a criminal offence for which you have not yet been tried in court (including traffic offences)?

Only Part 7 requires details of the Sponsor (your mate), the British citizen, and there are no questions regarding his criminal conviction.

The only such affirmation that I know of is a "freedom to marry" declaration  which indicates that the applicant is either not married or legally divorced and therefore free to remarry.

I remember such a statement from my time in Vietnam being required by the U.S. embassy there for a friend who wished to legally register his marriage to a Vietnamese woman.

He had to show a legal divorce degree or annulment   papers in order to register his marriage to his Vietnamese wife.

Never heard any other requirement than that.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo

As has been pointed out in this thread there are two totally separate procedures to be carried out here.

Your friend has to swear an affidavit in front of a Consular Officer at the British Embassy swearing that he is free to marry. That involves filling in the details on a template and providing any supporting evidence, for example evidence of the dissolving of any previous marriage or the fact he's a widower.
His intended wife plays no part in this process and is not required to attend the British Embassy.
Armed with this affidavit your friend pops along to one of the myriad of translation companies nearby and gets the document translated into Thai, the translated document then needs to be legalised at the MFA, most translation companies are well versed in this procedure and will get the legalisation carried out in a couple of days for little more than the cost of translation.

Armed with the legalised affidavit your friend and his intended pitch up at their local Amphur and get the marriage registered, bear in mind that further evidence maybe required, copies of his passport and the like. Some of these translation companies will offer a one stop service and even take them to a tame Amphur to get the marriage legalised.

Once they have their marriage certificates, they need to be translated into English to be included with the supporting documents when she applies for her Settlement Visa.
The questions on the sheet you've uploaded will not play any part in the UK Settlement Visa application, I suggest that if your friend has any questions about this application he ask in the Visas to other countries forum - plenty of advice there.

The religious ceremony is called 'Man' dutch tongue! not men .

Its a valuable asset ceremony with a lot of hocus pocus stories around it, even Buddha seems to get involved at one point.

What it really is , is a tradition in the past between Thai's who couldn't afford legal marriage arrangements and a outright rip off when foreigners gets involved!Married for Buddha is another phrase with no legal grounds whatsoever...in case of children name will be Mothers and of-course all assets are gifts (house, land, car all) 

Some families  live on these ceremonies!

Happy hours is what i call it.....for Thai!

On 01/04/2017 at 3:24 PM, Hopeful Thomas said:

Ok, seems he may be panicking about nothing. The list of questions was given to her by her English teacher.

She should fire her English teacher 'Questions about Reletionship'